SnowHabit
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Good news is many hurricane models still keep the center off the coast of FL 

That's good-it makes the difference between a rainy and very windy day with offshore wind that causes minor damage vs. much more than that if the eye actually came onshore. FL building codes can withstand TS or Cat 1 winds, but a cat 3 or 4 is a different story. 

Surge-wise, the east coast of FL is sharp-sloping to deep water, so surge isn't the biggest threat there. 

12 minutes ago, Down The Rabbit Hole said:

How does the GFS typically do within 48 for tropical systems?

It's average track error at hour 48 in 2015 was 82 miles compared to 71 miles for TVCA. TVCA is a consensus of the GFS, UKMET, ECMWF, GFDL, HWRF, and COAMPS and is considered the gold standard for track forecasts. COAMPS is a new addition for 2016 because the NHC felt it was sufficiently skillful. It doesn't get mentioned very much in here (or ever really) but it can be found here.

Just now, bobbutts said:

For those in E. FL you should be preparing for a storm that tracks up the left side of the cone at higher intensity than forecast.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I have family in Boynton, Beach. This morning I though it would come onshore well North of them but now I'm not so sure.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I have family in Boynton, Beach. This morning I though it would come onshore well North of them but now I'm not so sure.

I lived in Port Charlotte for Charley and the entire town expected it to go right up the NHC center line.  Totally unprepared for it to track (well within the cone) over us.  By the time it's happening it's way too late to do anything.

Regarding the person that said that Andros island would knock it down?, I'm not so sure. Despite its size, it's nearly flat so it wouldn't disrupt the circulation much at all, and it doesn't have the shear landmass size to significantly disrupt the whole storm and deprive it of energy. In short, I don't think it's quite big enough or tall enough to have a significant impact on the storm overall.

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

Like I mentioned before the 12z runs, Matt's moving faster than expected so expect a more westward trend in 12z.  And wallaaa.

These trends will continue if he keeps speeding like he is.   And like mentioned yesterday, the Gulf isn't off-limits yet  either.

That would be a pretty monstrous 2 day error by 2016 standards.  Even a direct MIA landfall would be a big error right now 

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Matthew at this point is taking a beating between the shear from the trough lifting out and interaction with Nicole.

I think its about to enter a period of rapid intensification.  Extremely deep "standing" convection is building on the Northern side and is chock full of lighting.  The ragged eye is quickly contracting and gaining symmetry.  OUtflow looks great on SE Quandrant.  Get ready...

Nassau is going to get clobbered.  

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That would be a pretty monstrous 2 day error by 2016 standards.  Even a direct MIA landfall would be a big error right now 

agreed, but we still don't have general consensus..even being this close to the storm.   The loop-de-loop yesterday I don't think anybody expected. 

And the ridge is certainly strong enough to still send this into the gulf on it's 1st strike.   Small chance, but still possible...especially how big storms like to continue the 'westward' trends as we get closer. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

agreed, but we still don't have general consensus..even being this close to the storm.   The loop-de-loop yesterday I don't think anybody expected. 

And the ridge is certainly strong enough to still send this into the gulf on it's 1st strike.   Small chance, but still possible...especially how big storms like to continue the 'westward' trends as we get closer. 

It's a day and a half from FL.  I don't see a correction of the size you say as possible being possible at this point.  It is coming up the east coast of FL

5 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

The eastern GOM is not a friendly environment with regard to wind shear. If Matt makes in the GOM it likely will be torn apart. 

11 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think its about to enter a period of rapid intensification.  Extremely deep "standing" convection is building on the Northern side and is chock full of lighting.  The ragged eye is quickly contracting and gaining symmetry.  OUtflow looks great on SE Quandrant.  Get ready...

Nassau is going to get clobbered.  

I'm talking about on the GFS at day 5

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived