Newest Member
    Dano62
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Like I said yesterday, we still have no clue what the hell is going to actually happen, aside from that it will get at least relatively close to the US coast. Stop living and dying with each run, catch a clue and realize the models have been like windshield wipers. 

Anyways, thus far, the islands haven't really effected strength much at all... Only impacts appear to be a less pretty/less organized core - which will change in a hurry past Cuba. 

Won't probably have to wait that long

GOES17252016278lLMJ5h.jpg

Just now, David Reimer said:

:weenie::hurrbear::tomato::cliff:

I remember this and a few other icons from the AmericanWX days. Looks like we need to roll them out. Really folks? Are we really going to degenerate into model fights every time a new run comes out? Many of you should know way better than hugging every model run down to a square mile. 

I've been lurking / lightly posting here since Joaquin... this is the only thing I've ever know.

The infighting adds another dimension to tracking the storm...

48 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NavGEM or then NOGAPS was the first model to bring Isabel into VA and NC when everything else was up the coast into LI. We've come along way since then though. 

Yeah I remember that because only then NOGAPS had the correct Bermuda observations.  Everything else initialized the ATL ridge too weak.

ULLETIN
HURRICANE MATTHEW INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  26A
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL142016
200 PM EDT TUE OCT 04 2016

...EYE OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE MATTHEW EXPECTED TO HIT
FAR EASTERN CUBA HARD LATER TODAY...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...19.4N 74.3W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM ESE OF GUANTANAMO CUBA
ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM SSW OF THE EASTERN TIP OF CUBA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 360 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...949 MB...28.02 INCHES

14 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

You must be new here. Welcome

I'm, uhh, old here and accustomed to much more heavy handed moderation.

Although I think it's too early to say much for FL to NC the idea of a right turn OTS after NC does seem to be getting some pretty decent support in the latest runs.

There are a few favorable elements for intensification. 1) The track takes it over or to the west of the Bahamas where TCHP is higher 2) There is a moist airmass off the coast of FL right now that doesn't fully vacate so this may mitigate dry air entrainment (at least for awhile) typical of landmass interfactions and 3) the wind shear is forecasted to remain low at least until it reaches the Bahamas. A track similar to the GFDL or UKMET seems more likely to lead to a major hurricane landfall whereas a further north landfall, in say SC or NC, I could actually see being weaker due to 1) an increase in wind shear 2) lower TCHP in the Gulf Stream and 3) an increase in size and expanding wind field that adjusts the pressure/wind relationship we are currently seeing. Assuming, of course, that a landfall does happen. It would be the ultimate troll storm if it remained a major hurricane and rode the coast all the way and missed making a landfall on a technicality allowing the major landfalling hurricane futility streak to continue.

it will take luck(very bad luck) but is becoming more and more possible the Matthew will move up and over MOST of the east coast of FL due to the angle of the coastline and the possible NNW movement..the large eye could stay half offshore the whole time slowing weakening with the front eyewall hititng the coastal cites

This was my fear with FLOYD in 1999 but that made the turn further east sparing the above scenario

8 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Cuba-Population-Density-Map-Municipio.png

Its times like this I wish that alksahuna (sp?) guy still posted on the board.  He had experience forecasting typhoons in the Philippines and his understanding of island interaction blew away anyone else's that I've ever seen.   A storm tracking through the 'pines is probably the best analog for the Windward Passage.

I'd also like to point out that there's always the gulf stream and per current consensus, Matthew will be riding it for at least 24hrs off the coast of Florida. All given it doesn't make landfall of course. Current SSTs in the Gulf Stream are ~28-29c all the way up the coast until Cape Hatteras. Also of note is that SSTs are a degree or two cooler on the immediate coastline,

cdas-sflux_sst_watl_1.png

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived