• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

I don't like to "measure snow before it falls" but it's pretty much a lock that this will be another below normal snowfall winter in Cleveland. Currently sitting at 24" and normal to date is 42.8". With nothing really on the horizon, that means CLE will need at least 44" from late February through April to hit normal. That equates to about a top 3 snowiest March AND April.

If this winter has below normal snowfall it will mean that 5 out of the last 6 at CLE had below normal snowfall.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We average around 12 to 15 inches around here every year.  Very seldom will we ever get the average.  That's what I love about "averages".  We've gotten roughly 50% below average so far.  As Hoosier said a earlier in the season, we've had some well above average seasons for this area of late.  You have to pay the piper at some point.  Doesn't mean I like it when we do but the math has to equal out at some point :weenie:

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

We average around 12 to 15 inches around here every year.  Very seldom will we ever get the average.  That's what I love about "averages".  We've gotten roughly 50% below average so far.  As Hoosier said a earlier in the season, we've had some well above average seasons for this area of late.  You have to pay the piper at some point.  Doesn't mean I like it when we do but the math has to equal out at some point :weenie:

There's quite a differences in averages between you and me considering we're not that far away from each other. We average around 32-34", but we also get at least a third of that if not more of lake enhancement or pure LES.

It's the rubber band theory that's been discussed frequently here. It's fun to stretch as far as you can, but when it snaps back, it hurts like the dickens. 13-14 & 14-15 stretch, 15-16 & 16-17 ouch!

Maine is BURIED. Two busts in a row in Boston though. They were forecast 12-18 with the storm last week, got 10.7. Forecast 8-12 yesterday, got 3.4. Just wanted to point that out for those that think it never busts there. Here we have busted high on 2 of our 4 synoptic snowstorms this winter, low on 1, and dead on on 1. Hoping the chicago snow drought is a bust for your guys in the end too.

29 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Maine is BURIED. Two busts in a row in Boston though. They were forecast 12-18 with the storm last week, got 10.7. Forecast 8-12 yesterday, got 3.4. Just wanted to point that out for those that think it never busts there. Here we have busted high on 2 of our 4 synoptic snowstorms this winter, low on 1, and dead on on 1. Hoping the chicago snow drought is a bust for your guys in the end too.

Yep, and that's where the QC met Oceanstwx moved to (Portland) several years ago.  Since he's left we've had several sub-par winters.  I'm blaming it all on him lol.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

Yeah, it will push the dry line farther east this spring.

That's one possibility.  Also may cause issues with sfc dews/moisture mixing out and just in general may result in high temps tending to overperform.  Not that big a deal yet but something to watch.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I think of that euro snowfall map last week that showed Boston getting close to 50"over 10 days.  If you recall, there was also suppose to be a phased bomb middle part of this week that fell apart on them as well.    

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's one possibility.  Also may cause issues with sfc dews/moisture mixing out and just in general may result in high temps tending to overperform.  Not that big a deal yet but something to watch.

As long as the area near the river up to the Ohio River stays near normal and continues to get periodic rain, we will be fine with moisture returns. I do agree with Indystorm though about dryline extending further east. If we were to remain in an active pattern going into next month and April, things could really get bumpy around here. The continued western trough we have been seeing is a good sign as well.

11 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I think of that euro snowfall map last week that showed Boston getting close to 50"over 10 days.  If you recall, there was also suppose to be a phased bomb middle part of this week that fell apart on them as well.    

It went to Maine instead lol

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

As long as the area near the river up to the Ohio River stays near normal and continues to get periodic rain, we will be fine with moisture returns. I do agree with Indystorm though about dryline extending further east. If we were to remain in an active pattern going into next month and April, things could really get bumpy around here. The continued western trough we have been seeing is a good sign as well.

I'm on board with an early or more normal start to severe season.  Sort of a bold prediction given how things have gone lately but things seem to be lining up in the big picture.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm on board with an early or more normal start to severe season.  Sort of a bold prediction given how things have gone lately but things seem to be lining up in the big picture.

Yeah it is a bit bold but considering how we have had a fundamental change in the Pacific, a complete flip from previous years, it wouldn't shock me if things ended up more active. We have already seen semblances of this with the outbreaks this winter thus far.

Archived