Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chambana said:

Met winter so far. Classic cold west, mild eastern 2/3 of country. Once February is finished, really going to paint a warm winter. 

IMG_0239.PNG

There were some warning signs going in that it could end up being a warmer than average winter, but it looks like it's going to end up warmer than even what I was thinking on the top end.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Sort of jealous of the 12-18" being forecast for Boston.

Already going to start melting this weekend though.

They may rain a little this weekend but they have a KILLER WEENIE wet dream pattern setting up overall for the next 10 days  with opportunities for exploding clippers dropping in northeast of us.

Meanwhile, as I look out at my windswept 1" of snow, and stinging windchills, (indistinguishable from the stench of this ongoing dumpster fire of a winter).... I finally have some good weather news this winter:

Next week as the positively tilted deep trough set in over the east with the axis over the OV causing dry cold and precip misses to our northeast and south....

I'll be in Scottsdale, Arizona :sun:

22 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Each day I'm losing more and more hope in seeing another 4"+ snowstorm for the rest of Winter. I know the bar is set low, but you learn after all the disappointments over the last couple of years.

Nice to see NYC-Boston getting their first major snowstorm of the Winter, but also disappointing too considering the fact they've been doing great these past few years. Makes me question, when will it be our turn? After each disappointing Winter I always end up telling myself "don't worry maybe next year", and I swear its become an ordinary thing now as its been a really long time.

Short rant, sorry but when you see 4 record low Winters, a potential 5th maybe this Winter, in a span of 10 years, it can get to you. 

I agree.  And I know it's probably an overreaction, but I'm wondering more and more if climate change is going to alter what's 'normal' for all of us, weather-wise.  Maybe it's a short-term blip...but maybe it's also the beginnings of a new long-term trend.

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

LOL!

I read his column this morning and he was thump'n his chest based on what's going on in new england.   Almost a "see I told you winter wasn't over"....tone.  But no worries for the chicago-land and our sub....he's touting March as OUR month!!!

Anyone that follows this guy seriously really shouldn't. He's just a glorified weenie with a degree if you ask me.

1 hour ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Anyone that follows this guy seriously really shouldn't. He's just a glorified weenie with a degree if you ask me.

I wish there was a way I could cancel JB without cancelling wxbell's model site....for no other reason than to be able to make a statement.   I'm addicted to their model pages.   Love the graphics and detail.

2 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

3-4 GEFs were developing low pressure that wasn't suppressing. One gave Chicago a triple phaser lol. Hopefully that smash the vortex stuff east doesn't pan out.

Probably a good idea to drop any thoughts of an early phased solution.  Looking at the 51 EPS members, only 1 showed that scenario.   

6 hours ago, Crispus said:

I agree.  And I know it's probably an overreaction, but I'm wondering more and more if climate change is going to alter what's 'normal' for all of us, weather-wise.  Maybe it's a short-term blip...but maybe it's also the beginnings of a new long-term trend.

Toronto has been an unfortunate anomaly. Much of the rest of the midwest should like trends of recent years. Heavy snow records have been numerous the last 15 years, not snow futility.

I don't mind one northeast snowstorm as they've had very little winter. Three? No thanks.

I do think we may have a big snowstorm in March. Just a gut feeling. But big March snowstorms are more frequent in the lower Lakes in nino/nina then neutral. Plus chicago is mega due..so hopefully that will hit us too lol. Start and end winter with a big snowstorm and a non stop roller coaster in between.

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Ok, so which is it...? :lol:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

SOUTH BOSTON          12.0   422 PM  2/09  MEDIA
   CHELSEA               11.3   409 PM  2/09  HAM RADIO
   WINTHROP               5.7   300 PM  2/09  NONE
   1 N EAST BOSTON        2.4   100 PM  2/09  LOGAN AIRPORT

Looking at this another way, 10" of synoptic snow in 3 hours is just plain sick (assuming these observations are accurate).

56 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Toronto has been an unfortunate anomaly. Much of the rest of the midwest should like trends of recent years. Heavy snow records have been numerous the last 15 years, not snow futility.

MSP has had a rough stretch for the last three winters (including this one). Above normal temps and well below normal snowfall. Assuming Feb '17 continues mild (which it looks to at least through week 3)... this will be the 18th consecutive month with above normal temps... only 5 of last 33 will have been below normal.

1 hour ago, Younar said:

MSP has had a rough stretch for the last three winters (including this one). Above normal temps and well below normal snowfall. Assuming Feb '17 continues mild (which it looks to at least through week 3)... this will be the 18th consecutive month with above normal temps... only 5 of last 33 will have been below normal.

I was only talking snow, but wow18 consecutive months is crazy. Though it is very ENSO enhanced.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I wonder how this season's thread count compares to past seasons.  It has to be waaaaaaaaay lower than all the others.  Widespread lack of snow, and underwhelming storm systems in general have kept the thread production to a minimum this season.  

So far we've had about a dozen storm threads for snow/ice.  That is several behind last winter at this point, which obviously wasn't a banner winter. 

34 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_47.png

that cracks me up, by all accounts that should be the blizzard of the century from DT land to DC....  and it's a 'fooking' rainstorm :lol:

Hmmm, imagine that low dropping in from the dakotas being further south and east and that low off the coast actually coming out of the gulf.  drool

Archived