Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

A huge area of the central US has had little or no snow cover for the past month and a half.  Really hasn't been all that much moisture either.  If this continues it will be quite easy to get a mega torch if the pattern sets up right as we head into March and April.  Hopefully we can get  a few 80 degree days in March.  A repeat of 2012 would be phenomenal, but that's likely a once in a lifetime kind of deal.

Works for me!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2017 at 8:41 PM, michsnowfreak said:

While I do see some similarities, this winter is better than the 1990s for the most part so far imo.

I'd say it's more so similar to 1998-1999 or 1999-2000 versus the early/mid 90s winters.

In fact, I would say the past 2 winters have been more like 1980s or 1960s winters. Not abysmal like the 1990s or the 1930s-1940s, but very much forgettable compared to the 1970s or the 2007 - 2015 period.

On Thu Feb 02 2017 at 8:44 PM, Powerball said:

I'd say it's more so similar to 1998-1999 or 1999-2000 versus the early/mid 90s winters.

In fact, I would say the past 2 winters have been more like 1980s or 1960s winters. Not abysmal like the 1990s or the 1930s-1940s, but very much forgettable compared to the 1970s or the 2007 - 2015 period.

Agree. 

I would give this winter a C/C+ so far. It's an A compared to the rest of the non-snowbelt midwest and northeast, but a D compared to what I was expecting. I thought monster storm after monster storm (some snow, some rain) would parade into this region in a roller coaster regime. Seemed all the ingredients were there. Certainly got the roller coaster part correct, but only the Dec 11th snowstorm was a big storm. Getting frequent rain and snow has been no problem, nor has getting bursts of heavy snow, but in terms of big/heavy storms, they have really been no-shows.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I would give this winter a C/C+ so far. It's an A compared to the rest of the non-snowbelt midwest and northeast, but a D compared to what I was expecting. I thought monster storm after monster storm (some snow, some rain) would parade into this region in a roller coaster regime. Seemed all the ingredients were there. Certainly got the roller coaster part correct, but only the Dec 11th snowstorm was a big storm. Getting frequent rain and snow has been no problem, nor has getting bursts of heavy snow, but in terms of big/heavy storms, they have really been no-shows.

I give this Winter a D+. Only thing preventing it from being lower is that 2 week snowy period in December. Outside of that, this "Winter" has been a joke. 

I've never seen this many rain storms in a row. Every storm since Christmas, expect that 3" we received in late December and that frontal slop of 3" before it changed over in January, has been RAIN! This is unheard of.

Ready for Spring now. These constant let downs have shattered my optimism over the last few years. Your positiveness even in these dark moments is incomparable, i really admire it. 

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We have to shake the uber-progressive flow in order to get the big storms.

Even with a juiced jet, if the pieces of energy don't have a chance to dig/amplify and keep getting sheared apart, then you get a winter like this one. 

8 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I give this Winter a D+. Only thing preventing it from being lower is that 2 week snowy period in December. Outside of that, this "Winter" has been a joke. 

I've never seen this many rain storms in a row. Every storm since Christmas, expect that 3" we received in late December and that frontal slop of 3" before it changed over in January, has been RAIN! This is unheard of.

Ready for Spring now. These constant let downs have shattered my optimism over the last few years. Your positiveness even in these dark moments is incomparable, i really admire it. 

Lol thanks for the compliment. But in this case I don't even consider that overly optimistic, giving this winter a C, especially when we are one of very few area technically running a positive snow departure. But this is why I said over and over and over during our good, great, and historic winters - when some would find the most ridiculous things to nitpick - that they should enjoy because these are special times and very unusual to see this much winter. Well this is the law of averages balancing for some. No worries though winter will return at some point. :)

I think today was the first time in 6 weeks there has been more sun than overcast. I just about got a "glimpse" into the upside instead of the upside DOWN. This winter has been boring and sucks. LES events are only giving me a few cms lol. As most know I absolutely HATE the cold and I'm happy there hasn't been any extreme cold but the last 3 days its been very cold. I think back to Jan-Feb 2014 and 2015 which had record-like cold...bad memories!!

27 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Wow, those were some lean seasons to be sure.

If it means another March '12 count me in lol.

I'd like to see a warmer than average March.  Warmth of 2012 magnitude is once in a lifetime (or multiple lifetimes) so it's going to be tough to pull that off again.

54 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

The Chicago stuff is mind boggling crazy. I mean a lot of people are seeing a snow drought  (STL 1.2 on the season) but chicago having 0.6 since Dec 18? That's insane. And what's more, thanks to getting over 17" before mid December, this winter will not be a futility one when looking at the final season numbers, but the astronomical winter snow drought there is historic. My brother said the last time he saw snow cover the ground was when he left here early on Dec 26 to head back to Chicago.

Snowless or warm winters seem to increase the likelihood of a big March or April snowstorm tenfold. Watch out Chicagoland! I warned you!

If you're expecting it to be "big" to the point that you must issue a warning, hopefully we can also get in on it. :P

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I'd like to see a warmer than average March.  Warmth of 2012 magnitude is once in a lifetime (or multiple lifetimes) so it's going to be tough to pull that off again.

Definitely the oddest weather phenomenon I'd ever seen. Everyone was talking how we basically skipped Spring and jumped straight into Summer.

There was some truth to that, because aside from the April cold snap, May was also a near-record breaking torch before heading into Met Summer.

2 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

>inb4 we get blasted in late March/Early April and Spring comes late limiting severe weather

It's pretty unrealistic to expect much in the way of severe weather at our latitude / longitude so early any way.

In fact, the peak of severe weather season for us isn't until late June / early July. 

34 minutes ago, Powerball said:

If you're expecting it to be "big" to the point that you must issue a warning, hopefully we can also get in on it. :P

I hope so too. What's funny is that the Dec 11 snowstorm was a big storm that overperformed, and I really thought it would be a pattern all winter (both rain and snow storms). Since then, nothing synoptically impressive. A 3-5 type event followed a few days after that storm, and then in Jan we saw a front end thump, a juicy clipper, & some heavy lake squalls. During the 16 day January pattern from hell, we saw frequent rain but it was nothing impressive or significant at any one time. I know some heavier rain fell south of here, but the bottom line is significant storms have been MIA this winter almost everywhere outside of an isolated area of Maine. I mean, it's certainly possible that nothing else big will happen this winter, but I'd be on guard and certainly do not expect a torch in March simply because it's been a dry snow free winter in the Plains. In 2013-14 there was a such a surplus of snow across the entire midwest and northeast that a similar deficit wouldn't be a shock. With our roller coaster pattern that is changing weekly though, no one's out of the woods for a good snowstorm for 2+ more months.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

The Chicago stuff is mind boggling crazy. I mean a lot of people are seeing a snow drought  (STL 1.2 on the season) but chicago having 0.6 since Dec 18? That's insane. And what's more, thanks to getting over 17" before mid December, this winter will not be a futility one when looking at the final season numbers, but the astronomical winter snow drought there is historic. My brother said the last time he saw snow cover the ground was when he left here early on Dec 26 to head back to Chicago.

Snowless or warm winters seem to increase the likelihood of a big March or April snowstorm tenfold. Watch out Chicagoland! I warned you!

This will be the winter 50 years from now where people swear by stories that it didn't snow all winter.

22 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

This will be the winter 50 years from now where people swear by stories that it didn't snow all winter.

Yup. People forget what happened in December. I remember 2005-06 we had tons of snow in December and a warm light snow rest of the way and people remembered it as a non winter. Backloaded winters are remembered as harsh even if little snow falls in November and December. DTW only needs 12 more inches of snow to make this a normal winter and 2.5 months to get it. Yet I guarantee people will remember this as a light winter (again, unless it's a snowy late Feb and Mar, that changes everything).

Each day I'm losing more and more hope in seeing another 4"+ snowstorm for the rest of Winter. I know the bar is set low, but you learn after all the disappointments over the last couple of years.

Nice to see NYC-Boston getting their first major snowstorm of the Winter, but also disappointing too considering the fact they've been doing great these past few years. Makes me question, when will it be our turn? After each disappointing Winter I always end up telling myself "don't worry maybe next year", and I swear its become an ordinary thing now as its been a really long time.

Short rant, sorry but when you see 4 record low Winters, a potential 5th maybe this Winter, in a span of 10 years, it can get to you. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Short rant, sorry but when you see 4 record low Winters, a potential 5th maybe this Winter, in a span of 10 years, it can get to you. 

That's insane, and it'd get to anyone who even remotely likes snow/winter! Don't have words for your situation..just unreal stretch

6 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

That's insane, and it'd get to anyone who even remotely likes snow/winter! Don't have words for your situation..just unreal stretch

Yeah, the top 5 lowest at YYZ are as follows;

2011-12: 16.8"

2009-10: 20.3"

1952-53: 21.2" 

2006-07: 23.7"

2015-16: 26.0" 

There's been alot of controversy surrounding YYZ's measuring standards so numbers could be off, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there's been alot of bad Winters in the area for the past couple of years. I mean 07-08 is the 2nd snowiest Winter on record and 08-09 being in the top 12 somewhere, but those seem like anomalies vs all those up there.

Sorry for the rant! Its just frustrating to say the least. 

Archived