Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

9 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I'm with ya brother.

Euro gives us here in central OH almost 5" of rain next week as a front hangs up and a train sets up...  of course it then pretends to change it to snow on the backside as the 2017 240hr tease will not be denied.

As far as punx phil, I like your idea.  Although maybe we turn a rabid 'pine martin' loose on it, (see above post).

BTW, WTF is a pine martin?   I've been alive for almost 50 years and that's the first I'd ever heard of one.   Is that just a fancy name for a weasel?

Lol. I was asking myself the same question and I've been around 59 years. I thought about asking bo, but didn't want to sound ignorant.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I don't know is anyone is interested or has already viewed this, but MetEd put out several videos from the GOES-R launch workshop for broadcast mets back in November. It is actually several hours of video from various speakers, but is very interesting. I am especially intrigued by the section on the Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM). Since there's not much to track in realtime, this is a great way to learn about GOES-R.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/satmet/goesr_broadcast_met_launch_wkshp/print.php

Yeah I've been pretty pumped about the new GOES for quite some time.  I've been most excited about the increase in image rate, and of course the improvement in resolution.  The lightning mapper sounds pretty sweet as well, and can't wait to see it in action.  Sounds like it will be fully operational, and available to the public by November.  It's still undecided on whether it will be placed in the west position, or the east.  I would think they would favor the east, as it would be able to view part of the tropics.  

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Lol. I was asking myself the same question and I've been around 59 years. I thought about asking bo, but didn't want to sound ignorant.

Pine Martins are in the same family as weasels and badgers.  Weasels are much smaller, usually only weighing what a large rat would while martins are normally 2-3 lbs.  Martins can best be described as a mix between a weasel and a badger, and unlike weasels that are found generally in most of N and S America, the martin is found only in parts of the mountain west and EXTREME northern parts of the Country.

330px-American_Marten_area.png

While much more aggressive than a weasel, they aren't nearly as territorial and badass as the badger.  It's pretty rare around here, but I actually have a mating pair. I saw the female for the first time on my deck last summer.

Also on a side note, I have only seen one badger in 2 years and they scare the **** out of me.  They have been known to hide in trees on active moose and deer trails up here and wait for one to pass and jump on their back and with their powerful bite, sever the spinal cord.  I'm more leary of badgers than bears and wolves combined.  Only thing I'm cautious about are mountain lions up here.  They're smaller than the big cats out west, but sneaky as heck.  I've seen two in the past year.

On 1/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, Hoosier said:

Anyone seen this video from the tornadoes in the south?  This guy is awesome...the way he describes the wind and stuff.

So glad I don't live down there, not a fan of severe. I call that moisture feed country. 

lol @ 00z GFS.  Unless you live in the northern/eastern lakes, no snow fo you.  Looks like we have a good shot to make it to the 2 month mark without an inch of snow.  That's actually extremely impressive if it happens considering the time period.

Perfect.

Roll easily through Feb, and on into March.

16 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

lol @ 00z GFS.  Unless you live in the northern/eastern lakes, no snow fo you.  Looks like we have a good shot to make it to the 2 month mark without an inch of snow.  That's actually extremely impressive if it happens considering the time period.

Still quite a bit of uncertainty on next week's storm, but given the way things have been going, you almost have to assume the worst lol.  Or somehow Detroit will get dumped on and we won't.

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still quite a bit of uncertainty on next week's storm, but given the way things have been going, you almost have to assume the worst lol.  Or somehow Detroit will get dumped on and we won't.

If this doesn't somehow pan out for the southern sub, I'd be rooting on the mid-month thaw and an early Spring if I lived down that way.  I'm still in mid winter mode as the 0z gfs  drops 2-3' around these parts.

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

If this doesn't somehow pan out for the southern sub, I'd be rooting on the mid-month thaw and an early Spring if I lived down that way.  I'm still in mid winter mode as the 0z gfs  drops 2-3' around these parts.

Woke up to another fresh dusting (didn't measure yet). Take away those 16 days from hell during the core of January and it has been a pretty good winter, especially when you remind yourself of what climo is (and the correct answer is NOT 2013-14, 2014-15, 2010-11, 2007-08, 2008-09, etc). If I could somehow do a snow dance to give our friends south and west snow I would, but natural instinct is to still root for my own backyard and your area as my trip there is just over a week away.

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Woke up to another fresh dusting (didn't measure yet). Take away those 16 days from hell during the core of January and it has been a pretty good winter, especially when you remind yourself of what climo is (and the correct answer is NOT 2013-14, 2014-15, 2010-11, 2007-08, 2008-09, etc). If I could somehow do a snow dance to give our friends south and west snow I would, but natural instinct is to still root for my own backyard and your area as my trip there is just over a week away.

Jan was around +6F. That's not so good.

I wonder if we might see an early start to severe weather season, or perhaps a better way of putting it would be a more typical spring severe season.  The "death ridge" gets mentioned during summer, but so far this winter we have been lacking a "death trough," i.e. a deep trough locking in for an extended period in the central/eastern US. We are also coming out of a La Nina, and some of those years have been quite active. Also, although unreliable at this distance, some of the long range progs have been suggesting warmer than average temps in March/April, which would seemingly not hurt.  Just speculating here.

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Jan was around +6F. That's not so good.

The key to my post was aside from the 16 days from hell in January....there was zero snow and a departure of +14F during those 16 days. As said, the rest of winter was good, but of course those 16 days (coming in Jan no less) still leave a terrible taste in the mouth.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if we might see an early start to severe weather season, or perhaps a better way of putting it would be a more typical spring severe season.  The "death ridge" gets mentioned during summer, but so far this winter we have been lacking a "death trough," i.e. a deep trough locking in for an extended period in the central/eastern US. We are also coming out of a La Nina, and some of those years have been quite active. Also, although unreliable at this distance, some of the long range progs have been suggesting warmer than average temps in March/April, which would seemingly not hurt.  Just speculating here.

A huge area of the central US has had little or no snow cover for the past month and a half.  Really hasn't been all that much moisture either.  If this continues it will be quite easy to get a mega torch if the pattern sets up right as we head into March and April.  Hopefully we can get  a few 80 degree days in March.  A repeat of 2012 would be phenomenal, but that's likely a once in a lifetime kind of deal.

34 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

A huge area of the central US has had little or no snow cover for the past month and a half.  Really hasn't been all that much moisture either.  If this continues it will be quite easy to get a mega torch if the pattern sets up right as we head into March and April.  Hopefully we can get  a few 80 degree days in March.  A repeat of 2012 would be phenomenal, but that's likely a once in a lifetime kind of deal.

Yeah, with this pattern the D0 on the drought map will spread soon.

Archived