Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tue Jan 10 2017 at 7:57 PM, SchaumburgStormer said:

And what a ****ty trade when we can't even get a white Christmas out of the deal

We got a white christmas here...and a very white December overall, but party was over Dec 26th. I always say the general public is funny because they want snow for christmas then gripe the rest of the way, but they remember what happens AFTER Jan 1st as to what kind of winter it was. We got tons of snow in Dec 2005 and it was remembered as such a mild winter. And of course backloaded winters like 2014-15 are remembered as brutal.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We got a white christmas here...and a very white December overall, but party was over Dec 26th. I always say the general public is funny because they want snow for christmas then gripe the rest of the way, but they remember what happens AFTER Jan 1st as to what kind of winter it was. We got tons of snow in Dec 2005 and it was remembered as such a mild winter. And of course backloaded winters like 2014-15 are remembered as brutal.

The bolded is technically true, but it was the cruddiest possible "White Christmas" one could muster up (well, I guess it could have rained, so maybe not "the cruddiest").

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

The bolded is technically true, but it was the cruddiest possible "White Christmas" one could muster up (well, I guess it could have rained, so maybe not "the cruddiest").

Ya..  Snow on that day was lacking in the quality department. Compared to the week before, the Grinch served us well.

10 hours ago, Powerball said:

Raining on a white Christmas? We got you covered out here. I think we barely managed it with like 1.2" of snow. Then it rained all day. Worst technically white Christmas I've ever experienced.

On 1/10/2017 at 10:51 AM, Hoosier said:

Never understood that logic about judging winters.  Based on that, somebody in Atlanta or Pensacola could judge "based on what winter should be." But of course that wouldn't make sense given their location.  

Well, you're right that it's not logical. :)

It is frustrating because good winters in this area are so close, yet so far. If you go about 200 miles north (not far considering how big the Earth is), it's an entirely different story. In the end, I just want seasons to be seasons. From June 10 to September 10, you could argue that it feels like summer on at least 90% of the days. I just want this same idea to be true in winter. 

On 1/10/2017 at 3:48 PM, Snowstorms said:

Its hard to fathom that every storm so far, including the ones that will impact the area this week, will be mostly rain for the sub forum. To make it worse, were going to see a warm-up next week, which may bring with it more rain for the area. Its truly astounding, in a good and bad way! Moreover, this month may very well end up being something extraordinary, that despite an active storm track, none of them delivered.

The 3.5" I received today will most likely stay put through atleast Jan 25th based on current projections. 

If it weren't for that 2 week period in December, this would have been one of the worst starts to Winter in a long while, excluding 11-12 that is. 

This isn't good and bad. It's just bad. Snow is natural and important, AND beautiful.

6 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Well, you're right that it's not logical. :)

It is frustrating because good winters in this area are so close, yet so far. If you go about 200 miles north (not far considering how big the Earth is), it's an entirely different story. In the end, I just want seasons to be seasons. From June 10 to September 10, you could argue that it feels like summer on at least 90% of the days. I just want this same idea to be true in winter. 

Its interesting (and we have beaten this horse before), you and I like EXACTLY the same type of winters but yet we have different outlooks on reality. I dont think I have ever met a soul in this region who feels we have more summer than winter. I could easily say 90% of the time Nov 25-Mar 25 feels like winter. Sub-freezing high temperatures outnumber 90-degree high temps 4 to 1 in this region. Unless you are putting ridiculous thresholds like anything 70F+ feels like summer or it has to be under 15F to feel like winter, its a completely unfair assessment of your own climate. You get more winter than a huge, and I mean HUGE majority of the population...so by that theory, is "true winter" only supposed to exist in places where hardly anyone lives? :wacko: Also, if you want seasons to be seasons, a winter without interruption or thaw would imply that you will see your first snow a lot later than youre used to and your last snow a lot earlier (ie say goodbye to snow that falls in Fall or Spring)? No thanks!

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Happy birthday cyclone!

8 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Yes, and may you have an interesting and eventful weather year in the Quad Cities area.  Keep those reports coming.

Thanks guys!

It's actually getting kind of dry around these parts for winter standards.  Only 0.21" of precip so far for January, and last month only 1.35".  Nov only had 1.61".  Hopefully we can get a good half inch of rain from this Monday event.  

If we make it to Jan 17th with no snow we will have had <0.5" (0.3") in a one month span, lol.  

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I guess if we are going to get shafted by this pattern, it's nice that California can cut into the insane drought out there 

Yeah that's been very nice to see.  Been pretty fun watching some of the obs up in the Sierras the last week or so.  Must be an amazing experience to get 6-8" of rain over the course of a few days, followed by nearly 4 feet of snow the next few.  That happened up around the Soda Springs/Emigrant Gap area.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Thanks guys!

It's actually getting kind of dry around these parts for winter standards.  Only 0.21" of precip so far for January, and last month only 1.35".  Nov only had 1.61".  Hopefully we can get a good half inch of rain from this Monday event.  

If we make it to Jan 17th with no snow we will have had <0.5" (0.3") in a one month span, lol.  

Happy belated birthday! Most of us can commiserate in the snowfall department lately (0.7" here). However, it is the complete opposite with rainfall here.

I have 2.14" in MBY for January, and it looks like the Gulf will be fire hosing up here Monday-Wednesday, which will add to the snow/rain ratio misery in the "heart of winter".  In fact, with rivers already running high and frozen ground, I expect flooding issues to exacerbated.

Happy birthday Joel!

No drought worries here. December at Detroit was actually the somewhat rare (for Dec) combo of below normal precip at 2.16" (0.30" below normal) and above normal snow of 16.8" (+7.1"). However January is alresdy running a surplus of precip at 1.56" (+0.67") and snowfall of 4.6" is just a tad below normal though the deficit will grow the next week and a half.

6 hours ago, Baum said:

Sad how far this board has fallen.

I have lamented about the loss of several knowledgeable posters. Another problem is that last winter was crap, then after a fair start, this winter is also turning to crap, all coming after several good/historic winters.

ive been around this board and it's off shoots for at minimum 15 years or more. In that timespan we suffered some terrible winters, but we still had a certain energy and humor that drove the board and provided entertainment to our weather addiction. Anyway, going to enjoy the upcoming 50's. Again my apologies for purchasing a snowblower.

14 minutes ago, Baum said:

ive been around this board and it's off shoots for at minimum 15 years or more. In that timespan we suffered some terrible winters, but we still had a certain energy and humor that drove the board and provided entertainment to our weather addiction. Anyway, going to enjoy the upcoming 50's. Again my apologies for purchasing a snowblower.

Winter returns end of the month. Meanwhile don't know how enjoyable they will be. I'm sure it's a murky pattern more than a sunny one.

36 minutes ago, Baum said:

I've been around the weather boards since 2004 when I was 15. I agree, It's nothing like it use to be back in the day. Plus, bowme, Alek, Geos all gone... and countless others over time.  Maybe this sub is going through an ERC... lots of newbies.

Just now, weatherbo said:

I've been around the weather boards since 2004 when I was 15. I agree, It's nothing like it use to be back in the day. Plus, bowme, Alek, Geos all gone... and countless others over time.  Maybe this sub is going through an ERC... lots of newbies.

Things evolve and change over time. The board is not what it used to be but it's still enjoyable. I used to go the NE forum from time to time to read up on patterns and such as they had great discussion, but lately it just seems a hot mess of lots of banter, some fighting, and of course some weather. I'm sure all the forums have changed.

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Things evolve and change over time. The board is not what it used to be but it's still enjoyable. I used to go the NE forum from time to time to read up on patterns and such as they had great discussion, but lately it just seems a hot mess of lots of banter, some fighting, and of course some weather. I'm sure all the forums have changed.

The direction of the board changed and with that, the loss of community went with it.  It's enjoyable enough for me too since there's really no one to discuss weather with on a daily basis like I like to. 

ERC is a good way to put it.  It will get better when we get some better weather to track.  Pattern talk isn't going to bring the masses like a nice storm threat.  Some of the members from the past just don't post anymore for whatever reason.  A few of the really good ones, like Baroclinic, and Oceanst have left the region.  It's not as lively in here as it used to be, but when a storm threat is present it gets fairly active.  

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

ERC is a good way to put it.  It will get better when we get some better weather to track.  Pattern talk isn't going to bring the masses like a nice storm threat.  Some of the members from the past just don't post anymore for whatever reason.  A few of the really good ones, like Baroclinic, and Oceanst have left the region.  It's not as lively in here as it used to be, but when a storm threat is present it gets fairly active.  

I think the big problem is there isn't much to talk about these days, no big storm for the region. The current system was talked up until the potential shifted to the plains. I guess the doldrums of winter are upon us.

Archived