Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ConvectiveIA said:

I havn't studied the maps of that area, but I know that snowfall varies pretty dramatically over small distances. I'd naturally choose a highly snowy portion, or perhaps an area just a few miles east of that. Snowbelts.

If you have to work, you may be limited to pretty much two areas... Marquette is a cool small town, but I'd def live west of town 10-15 miles in the highlands.  Cheap rent in Negaunee and they average 200"... and just 12 miles from Marquette.  Hope it works out for ya!

24 minutes ago, Willh said:

Marquette is too populated.

I prefer the isolation of the Keweenaw...especially along the spine over 1,100 feet in elevation. The difference in snow between here and Houghton...15 minutes away...is shocking - and Houghton still gets a ton.

To be fair - I really like isolation and hate populated areas.

Didn't you live in a big city once?  At least I think I remember you saying that you did. How did you cope? :lol:

22 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Hey at least we have the 37 and rain to look forward to next Tue!  :D

Thanks for reminding me. :axe:

We might begin as a mix out this way before switching over to all cold rain. Of course, I'd probably need to be up at 3 AM to see any flakes.

As frustrating as this winter has been for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I can't complain yet because we are still above average on snowfall by 4.1" as of today. Once we hit 0 on that number then I think it is valid for a complaint or two from myself. Hopefully we don't hit 0 on that number though.

19 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

How much snow have you had this winter? I'm sitting at a whopping 1.5"

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

8.4" 

I had 5.8" total from 12/10-12/12, but my greatest snow depth has been 4". We average a little over 34" in a season.

What's your seasonal average?

Can't wait for the deluge of rain next week after this cold snap. Sigh!

Hard to believe nearly every storm on the 0z GFS shows rain for the region. Looks more like something you'd see in November than January. 

That December 2 week snow period exhilaration is slowly fading. 

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Right in the red box.

Map.jpg

Great area Jonger. If I was looking to buy a place in the UP I also would be looking in that same area. Grand Marais is a cool little town all year, not just in the winter. Some good places to eat there also. I would find me a little place on one of them lakes between GM and Pine Stump and be happy Aug-April. Bugs are bad up there May-July so I wouldn't get up there much then. I have family just north of Paradise and they have been kicking around the idea of moving west to the GM area for years, not sure if they will or not though but they too like that area.

00z eps had bad news and worse news.

The bad news is we all go above normal thru day 15 after this cold shot.    The worse news is by day 15 it appears most of Canada goes above normal as well.  

I know, I know...

chime in: "we can still get a lot of snow thru periods that avg above normal".   I might be more willing to buy that argument had we gotten a lot of snow when we were normal to slightly below.

Sorry, just grumpy after firing up the radar this morning.

I think we all need to come to the realization that this just isn't going to be our winter. I realize some places around the lakes our doing well, but those of us relying on synoptic events could be in for a bummer. 

However all is not bad, as California is going to pound town, great news there.

Besides this measly 1/2" falling this morning, bringing my season total to 2.5" nothing in my forecast the next 7 days. Cold and dry, followed by warm southerly flow just in time for next system. 

1 minute ago, KokomoWX said:

At this point any hopes of building a snow pack seems pointless.  Unless we can get an honest to goodness double digit snow, I am ready to torch winter and let spring begin early.  I can be ready to mow grass in March.

That's always been my mantra....   snow and cold OR torch.   Screw the in between stuff, (which unfortunately is our climo).

13 minutes ago, buckeye said:

00z eps had bad news and worse news.

The bad news is we all go above normal thru day 15 after this cold shot.    The worse news is by day 15 it appears most of Canada goes above normal as well.  

I know, I know...

chime in: "we can still get a lot of snow thru periods that avg above normal".   I might be more willing to buy that argument had we gotten a lot of snow when we were normal to slightly below.

Sorry, just grumpy after firing up the radar this morning.

I'm skeptical of the extent of that warmup. It will probably be above normal, but having the entire lower 48 above freezing in the middle of January is probably unlikely.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Weak La Niña's can go to hell. 

Let's face it, sharing a region with the lakes is rough. You are living close to one of the most amazing natural snowmaking machines on earth, but not close enough.

It's like living in the shadow of a mountain. At least you aren't in Chicago, they have to stare at the snow machine, but the snow guns are pointing at the neighbors yard.

36 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Let's face it, sharing a region with the lakes is rough. You are living close to one of the most amazing natural snowmaking machines on earth, but not close enough.

It's like living in the shadow of a mountain. At least you aren't in Chicago, they have to stare at the snow machine, but the snow guns are pointing at the neighbors yard.

:D

54 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I've never looked at LES as something I was missing out on or something to be jealous of.  No more then being jealous of what happens in the Adirondacks or the Sierras, in fact I find the crazy-ass snow rates and totals that people in the belts refer to as fascinating .  

It's expected that we won't score anything significant from lake effect down here....if we do it's all bonus and we're probably just as happy getting a 2" surprise squall off Lake Michigan as someone in Grand Rapids is getting a foot.   It's all relative.

Now if you want to talk synoptic, that's a whole different ball game.   A miss from a storm shooting to our west or scraping us to our south....now that WILL piss me off. 

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

lol that's how I feel sometimes.  I'm even closer to the snow belt than Chicago, in an area that does get a good lake effect event every once in a while but too far west to get it consistently.  Oh well, I knew what I was getting into when I moved back to this area.

Archived