Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm wondering if anything would grow this late in the season. Up on the hill we don't see <32F for another 7-10 days barring any upcoming cold shots. Watering outside of mother nature isn't an option.

One website sells wildflower mix @ $875 for 50lb. Holy cow!

Still like my golf hole idea the best. <_<

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mreaves said:

Still like my golf hole idea the best. <_<

just spoke to the guy doing the work and he says there isn't much natural topsoil, lots of ledge which isn't surprising. I think I'll split the area in two and the half closest to the house seed with grass in Spring and the rest wildflower. Sorry, not much of a golfer :) Our plan is to cur all trees in view of the lake, so basically, another 50-60' to the property line = lots more trees.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

just spoke to the guy doing the work and he says there isn't much natural topsoil, lots of ledge which isn't surprising. I think I'll split the area in two and the half closest to the house seed with grass in Spring and the rest wildflower. Sorry, not much of a golfer :) Our plan is to cur all trees in view of the lake, so basically, another 50-60' to the property line = lots more trees.

Looks like you need moneypit up there to some cutting and splitting.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm wondering if anything would grow this late in the season. Up on the hill we don't see <32F for another 7-10 days barring any upcoming cold shots. Watering outside of mother nature isn't an option.

And that's at least 20 times as much as you would need, maybe 50X, judging by the cleared area visible in the pic.  The winter rye would be a good placeholder - it's what we use on logyards and roads when we want quick soil-stabilizing cover, and it's not too late in the season (if we were to get some rain...)  Then do the wildflowers, or whatever, as soon as you can get on it next spring.

And that's at least 20 times as much as you would need, maybe 50X, judging by the cleared area visible in the pic.  The winter rye would be a good placeholder - it's what we use on logyards and roads when we want quick soil-stabilizing cover, and it's not too late in the season (if we were to get some rain...)  Then do the wildflowers, or whatever, as soon as you can get on it next spring.

Winter rye dies once you cut it right?

Wow, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, I'm a bit regretful of starting this, but the alternative is watching the trees eventually block our view. We pay a premium in taxes for our view, which is nothing like living on the lake, but I figure if we're paying for the view tax, I'm gonna have a damn view.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I have to admit, I'm a bit regretful of staring this, but the alternative is watching the trees eventually block our view. We pay a premium in taxes for our view, which is nothing like living on the lake, but I figure if we're paying for the view tax, I'm gonna have a damn view.

It looks like you got a good start on achieving it so far, You should be able to go for a good rip around the yard when the snow arrives.............:lol:

On 10/4/2016 at 7:24 PM, Lava Rock said:

I have to admit, I'm a bit regretful of starting this, but the alternative is watching the trees eventually block our view. We pay a premium in taxes for our view, which is nothing like living on the lake, but I figure if we're paying for the view tax, I'm gonna have a damn view.

Lava,  no worries.  I think you did the right thing.  We bought a 15 acre wood lot about 10 years ago and had it cleared for a view of Newfound Lake.  You will be amazed how quick the saplings will grow back up if you don't keep it cut.  The deer and wildlife likes the new growth.   Winter Rye worked great and covered the dirt till the wild weeds and wild flowers took over.  It will look nice and green by next summer, assuming it ever rains again!

27 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lava,  no worries.  I think you did the right thing.  We bought a 15 acre wood lot about 10 years ago and had it cleared for a view of Newfound Lake.  You will be amazed how quick the saplings will grow back up if you don't keep it cut.  The deer and wildlife likes the new growth.   Winter Rye worked great and covered the dirt till the wild weeds and wild flowers took over.  It will look nice and green by next summer, assuming it ever rains again!

Not sure about using the winter rye. Not that concerned about establishing some growth to protect the soil until Spring. Was reading a site about using wildflower seed and they recommend spreading that after the 1st frost. They say that it will grow in faster come Spring, then if I were to wait until Spring to seed it.

Excavation is done for now. We had the guy make a little circular fire put using large stones which will act as seats. We'll eventually build a pit in the middle for the fire. My plan will be to bring in fill and loam in the Spring and plant lawn up to the rock wall. Beyond that, still thinking, but may go with wildflower.

9d1d77ae20f1e959c50d5533d2020aba.jpg

On 10/4/2016 at 0:57 PM, Lava Rock said:

When we built our house, we finished in the fall. We ended up using a pasture mix from Agway. Inexpensive and worked just fine to hold our hill in place that year. Johnny's Seeds has a fall pasture mix that's pretty inexpensive.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure about using the winter rye. Not that concerned about establishing some growth to protect the soil until Spring. Was reading a site about using wildflower seed and they recommend spreading that after the 1st frost. They say that it will grow in faster come Spring, then if I were to wait until Spring to seed it.

Excavation is done for now. We had the guy make a little circular fire put using large stones which will act as seats. We'll eventually build a pit in the middle for the fire. My plan will be to bring in fill and loam in the Spring and plant lawn up to the rock wall. Beyond that, still thinking, but may go with wildflower.

9d1d77ae20f1e959c50d5533d2020aba.jpg

Think that would look good.  I would probably do the same if that was my property.  I like the look of a lawn that backs up to a wildflower/pasture type setting.

Hi guys! Back at the ranch. I'm still looking for a new weather station, but unwilling to shell out the ~$800 that you need for the Davis if you include the Internet link. This seems to get really good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1001-WIFI-Monitoring-Radiation/dp/B00PSV10UK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

But then again, the one I had also did and had some pretty bad issues with nightime temps:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B00T0K8MN8/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1475784363&sr=1-6&keywords=acurite+weather+station

Thoughts? 

29 minutes ago, alex said:

Hi guys! Back at the ranch. I'm still looking for a new weather station, but unwilling to shell out the ~$800 that you need for the Davis if you include the Internet link. This seems to get really good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1001-WIFI-Monitoring-Radiation/dp/B00PSV10UK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

But then again, the one I had also did and had some pretty bad issues with nightime temps:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B00T0K8MN8/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1475784363&sr=1-6&keywords=acurite+weather+station

Thoughts? 

You will have to wait to see if that is "Dendrite approved" :) I had a station similar to the one you have now a few years ago--that thing ran so hot in the sun--like always 10F+, I guess the fan didn't work well enough. I had to leave it in a shady spot to try to get somewhat accurate readings.   It seems like you will always be sacrificing something unless you go up to the big leagues with the VP2, etc.

What about the Davis Vantage Vue? Maybe some of the other guys can chime in to see if those could be an option?

Help me, Dendrite One Kenobi, you're my only hope! :) 

I looked at the Vantage Vue, doesn't look like it has Internet capabilities, which is a must. BTW, what is up with the design of the Davis consoles? I wish they had made an at least minor attempt at making them somewhat mildly decent looking! That's one thing I really do like about the one I'm returning... the screen is very cool looking. Here's what I would *really* like:

- accurate readings (especially nighttime lows)
- direct connection to Internet/WU
- <$500
- a decent looking console would be a nice plus (but not as important as the first 3)

In other news, just got approval from the town to build 4 cabins! I'm psyched. 

Archived