• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

Left Bretton Woods with moderate to heavy snow - another case of "hours of snow and nothing to show for it!" although it was starting to stick. Looks like typical upslope - just some flurries in Twin Mountain, back to moderate snow around Cannon and maybe halfway between there and the Basin in Franconia Notch, and broken clouds past Lincoln. 

Will be back tonight! Only doing day trips into Boston a couple of times a week most of November...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a brief frozen precip shower as I was getting in the car to go to work this morning. Sleety rain type of stuff. The car thermo read 34F. The hills on the far side of Berlin Pond were white for the top third. It's been a pretty wintry stretch for the last week.  Let's hope this isn't the peak of the season!

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Watching football and looking back at some past Octobers... I remember doing a lot of skiing in 2005 and 2006 when I was at UVM, even skiing the glades one of those years in October.

I was also surprised to find that Mansfield averages 10.7" in the month of October...I had it in my mind that it was more like 4-6" for some reason.

Look at the second half of both October 2005 and October 2006.  Wow at how wet these periods were.  For comparison, this October has had only 3.93" of precipitation (vast majority has fallen since the 19th when the pattern turned wetter) and the COOP is showing 9.7" of total snowfall vs the 20" which is my best effort at measuring the various events through hiking or snowcat rides but it has not been measured at my normal location due to accessibility.  The COOP did miss the last event on Friday with no snowfall data, and also the first event went in as 8" when the snow depth went from 0" to 10-11".  It just highlights the "take with a grain of salt" of the data but it is something to work with.

MWN averages 14.9" so that's not really that different.

23 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Had a brief frozen precip shower as I was getting in the car to go to work this morning. Sleety rain type of stuff. The car thermo read 34F. The hills on the far side of Berlin Pond were white for the top third. It's been a pretty wintry stretch for the last week.  Let's hope this isn't the peak of the season!

Yeah had to brush off or I should say scrape off the work trucks up here at the mountain.  They had like a half inch of snow grains mixed with what must've been freezing drizzle or something.  That was some very firm and crunchy stuff.

Just some light snow grains falling up here now.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

High of 38F today at MVL and MPV....chilly Halloween evening for the kiddos.

Down to 37.4°F here, I remember when i was taking my young ones around trick or treating back in the 90's, I would pack a travel mug with one of my favorite beverages for those chilly Halloween nights............;)

43 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Down to 37.4°F here, I remember when i was taking my young ones around trick or treating back in the 90's, I would pack a travel mug with one of my favorite beverages for those chilly Halloween nights............;)

I know my parents and their friends did the same lol.  As kids you don't know any different, oh Dad is drinking coffee at 8pm.  That's not coffee, son.

34F here though PWS vary from 31F to 36F locally.

Thursday Night/ Friday AM is looking a little more interesting for the North Country.  Starting to look like a weak low could develop along the inbound cold front and wrap some moisture into the region through the AM. Sort of looks like a standard set-up for a quick 2-4" across the higher terrain...

17 minutes ago, adk said:

Thursday Night/ Friday AM is looking a little more interesting for the North Country.  Starting to look like a weak low could develop along the inbound cold front and wrap some moisture into the region through the AM. Sort of looks like a standard set-up for a quick 2-4" across the higher terrain...

might be too little too late, very progressive

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

might be too little too late, very progressive

I'm not sure that's true for Greens. Moist airmass in wake of passing low + -8/10c 850 air and N/NW winds has the potential to set off snow showers across higher terrain (above 2500ft). Below that, for most, agree in total. 

6 minutes ago, adk said:

I'm not sure that's true for Greens. Moist airmass in wake of passing low + -8/10c 850 air and N/NW winds has the potential to set off snow showers across higher terrain (above 2500ft). Below that, for most, agree in total. 

root for the GFS to be right with that retro 983 parked in N maine Eastern Quebec, now that would be a good upsloper

Archived