Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Kinda sucks looking at sne peeps and some NNE folks getting in on legit snow, but all rain in my hood.

Ehh, They way i look at it, If we got some it would be cool, But in October, Really not much use, Could have used some for firearm season on Saturday though

Man, what a pasting they got just up the hill from me, the nearest cocorahs station to me reported 9.0" while I reported .2":lol: I guess a few degrees and 1800ft matters. Its always annoying seeing the cars come down into Manchester from the mountain towns caked in snow when it just a soggy rainy mess down here.

10/28/2016   6:00 AM   VT-BN-3   Landgrove 1.1 NNE  1.20 9.0 9.0 VT Bennington  

/28/2016   7:00 AM   VT-BN-7   Manchester 2.8 ENE  0.84 0.2 0.0 VT Bennington

36 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Man, what a pasting they got just up the hill from me, the nearest cocorahs station to me reported 9.0" while I reported .2":lol: I guess a few degrees and 1800ft matters. Its always annoying seeing the cars come down into Manchester from the mountain towns caked in snow when it just a soggy rainy mess down here.

Similar for me in Norwich.  It was all rain in town but almost all snow up at our house.  Unfortunately we had bottom melt the whole time so we peaked at about 1.5 inches.  The noise of the snow melting in the trees made it sound like it was raining at times.

I seem to be in the perfect spot for heavy rain coming in from the SE.      1045am  2.10"  moderate rain   41F....   Precip started as rain yesterday late afternoon at around 38F.  Temp slowly dropped most of the evening to a low of 35.3F.  Rain became mixed with snow around dark and continued mixed all evening.  For about 15 minutes during late evening we went to pure snow with big parachutes.  Temp then started slowly rising and precip became all rain.

Most rain in along time.  Nice to see my pond coming back.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

2.5" at the office overnight and some traces of snow on the grass and roof tops in town.

6-8" is the estimate up high but I'll get a cat ride later to check it out.

Just changed back to snow at 1500ft.  Big wet flakes.

I had a chance to stop in for a tour at Bolton Valley this morning, and I’ll write up a full report later, but I can pass along a few updates.  It was snowing all the way down to the house at 500’ for much of the evening yesterday, although it only accumulated to 0.2” due to the marginal temperatures.  The snow level seemed to have crept up by this morning though, because our precipitation at the house was a mix of mostly rain and a bit of snow at observations time.  On the way up the Bolton Valley Access Road I saw the first signs of what I think was vestigial snow from last night’s lower snow levels at around 1,000’.  Snow quickly began to appear more frequently above that point, and it was around 1,400’ when the precipitation changed over to all snow.  Up in the Village lots at 2,000’ it was dumping big, fat flakes up to 2” in diameter.  It was hard to get a handle on how much snow fell from this recent event since it’s on top of previous rounds of snow, but depending on when the last plowing happened, I was finding 4” new in the 2,000’ elevation lot.  The mountain is reporting 6-8”, which wouldn’t surprise me at all for the higher elevations.

On my tour I checked total snow depth, and I’d say it was something in the range of 8-12” at 2,000’, and a solid 15” at 2,500’.  That’s as high in elevation as I had time to go this morning, so I’m not sure how much more it increased above that point, but 15” at 2,500’ is obviously great for October.  And, this snow is most certainly not fluff – it’s dense with lots of liquid in it.  There was no concern about hitting the ground on turns, and there’s actually hardly any brush even showing on the trails.  The skiing was great; they certainly weren’t the highest “quality” October turns I’ve had with respect to snow consistency, but the snow certainly wasn’t sopping wet. I was happy to be on 115 mm fats to keep myself from getting bogged down in that dense stuff though.  Wow with regard to the coverage on those trails though.  It’s been an impressive series of storms up high.

5 hours ago, klw said:

Similar for me in Norwich.  It was all rain in town but almost all snow up at our house.  Unfortunately we had bottom melt the whole time so we peaked at about 1.5 inches.  The noise of the snow melting in the trees made it sound like it was raining at times.

Yea, it was close here in regards to accum, I haven't been able to see the hillsides with the low clouds/showers and OVC conditions so took a quick ride up and didn't realize that snow level was just 1150-1200ft for decent accumulation, like probably 3-5" vs the .2" I got just 250ft lower in el. So close, but yet so far.

Definitely some man snow up at 2K, dense, dense high SWE stuff.

38 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I had a chance to stop in for a tour at Bolton Valley this morning, and I’ll write up a full report later, but I can pass along a few updates.  It was snowing all the way down to the house at 500’ for much of the evening yesterday, although it only accumulated to 0.2” due to the marginal temperatures.  The snow level seemed to have crept up by this morning though, because our precipitation at the house was a mix of mostly rain and a bit of snow at observations time.  On the way up the Bolton Valley Access Road I saw the first signs of what I think was vestigial snow from last night’s lower snow levels at around 1,000’.  Snow quickly began to appear more frequently above that point, and it was around 1,400’ when the precipitation changed over to all snow.  Up in the Village lots at 2,000’ it was dumping big, fat flakes up to 2” in diameter.  It was hard to get a handle on how much snow fell from this recent event since it’s on top of previous rounds of snow, but depending on when the last plowing happened, I was finding 4” new in the 2,000’ elevation lot.  The mountain is reporting 6-8”, which wouldn’t surprise me at all for the higher elevations.

On my tour I checked total snow depth, and I’d say it was something in the range of 8-12” at 2,000’, and a solid 15” at 2,500’.  That’s as high in elevation as I had time to go this morning, so I’m not sure how much more it increased above that point, but 15” at 2,500’ is obviously great for October.  And, this snow is most certainly not fluff – it’s dense with lots of liquid in it.  There was no concern about hitting the ground on turns, and there’s actually hardly any brush even showing on the trails.  The skiing was great; they certainly weren’t the highest “quality” October turns I’ve had with respect to snow consistency, but the snow certainly wasn’t sopping wet. I was happy to be on 115 mm fats to keep myself from getting bogged down in that dense stuff though.  Wow with regard to the coverage on those trails though.  It’s been an impressive series of storms up high.

That is pretty much what I found except I didn't quite get to 2500. Truly awesome! 

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

That is pretty much what I found except I didn't quite get to 2500. Truly awesome! 

Yeah there's a very dense pack out there...filled with water.  We have had more snow this week at Stowe than the entire month of December last year I believe.  And I'm sure that's the same at a lot of areas.

http://www.wcax.com/story/33510166/massive-rescue-effort-on-top-of-mt-ascutney

ASCUTNEY, Vt. -

The fire chief in Ascutney says it’s lucky no one was hurt in a massive rescue effort.

It took 85 people nearly all day to rescue a 42-year-old woman from the top of Mount Ascutney. The chief says conditions were dangerous with temps in the 20s and snow and ice. The woman was playing a game on her cellphone with an app called Ingress. It’s kind of like the Pokémon game craze that swept the world this summer. She told rescuers she was trying to capture a flag atop the mountain and had come here all the way from Rochester, New York.

"Very dangerous. Some of the first rescue guys had to come back out because they were soaking wet and cold. We had a rehab unit set up down there to get them warmed back up. We had to replace them with other personnel from Vermont and New Hampshire," said Chief Darrin Spaulding, Ascutney Fire Department.

The call originally came in as a woman having a heart attack and turns out she was just lost on the trail with 6 inches of snow on the ground. It was 24 degrees where she was trapped.

2.69" final rain total from the Stratus.   I seemed to be  in the perfect place for the pivo of this storm.  This morning the heavy rain just kept coming.  First from the SE then E and finally NE.  Started as rain late afternoon yesterday then a 75/25 rain/snow mix most of evening.  15 minutes of parachutes late evening with a heavy qpf band and then back to rain.  Few catpaws late this morning.

Archived