Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we'll do it right. Don't want it to look like Ray's "beast of a man" shed.  Wx2fish is handy...he's all over it. 

Gotta invite Diane to keep it from looking too creepy. A bunch of guys building a 10 bedroom house to share amongst each other...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We should all pitch in and buy a plot at like 2200 feet east of Pittsburg and build a cabin with a decked out weenie weather station and a webcam. 

I'm thinking we'll average around 200" per year there in the prime upslope spot  

Sadly, the co-op at Diamond Pond, 2200' and 7-8 miles SSE of Pittsburg, went off line after 2011, with just 13 years' record, but average snowfall of 224".  For those same years, 1st CT Lake averaged 138", about 20" below their long term avg.  I was surprised that the Diamond Pond snowpack never got taller than 56", even in 2000-01 when they had 293" on the season and no significant thaws after the pre-Christmas Grinch.  Maybe the winds off the pond blew all the snow into the woods.

The other thing i found interesting was that some of the fir trees looked like they were 3-4' tall in this one area until you realized there was another 6-10' of tree below the snowpack

Late in the huge snowpack winter of 83-84, I snowshoed past a stand of spruce-fir about 10 miles east of St.-Pamphile, PQ that looked about right for the brushsaw guys to pre-commercially thin.  Did not get back there until summer of '85, and what a difference!  Those trees looked nearly big enough to thin commercially.  They were adding 2-3 ft of leader growth annually, and there had been about 6' OG when I'd seen them earlier, so those "2-inch diam/15' tall" trees had become 5-inch/25+ ft, way too big for the brush cadets.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.15” L.E.

Yesterday’s snow dropped another 0.06” of liquid at our place, and based on other observations around the area it sounds like those periods of greater precipitation intensity would have brought accumulation to the 0.1” level at times, but there was nothing obvious from some checks on the web cam.  So 0.3” of snow will do it for the event.

Next up is the complex system with mountain snow and what looks like pretty minimal wintery impact in the lower valleys.  The point forecast for our area doesn’t really call for any snow, but I put the rain gauge in winter mode just in case there’s any sort of burst of wintry precipitation at the front end that might clog the funnel.

The point forecast for up above us at ~3,000’ near Bolton Valley looks pretty potent with respect to snow possibilities, with the BTV NWS forecast discussion mentioning a ballpark number of a half a foot for the peak areas.

Today

Snow before 4pm, then rain and snow likely. High near 33. Breezy, with a southeast wind 16 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight

Snow before 1am, then rain and snow between 1am and 3am, then snow after 3am. Low around 31. Very windy, with a southeast wind 38 to 46 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Friday

Rain and snow showers before 9am, then rain showers between 9am and 1pm, then rain and snow showers after 1pm. High near 36. Breezy, with a southeast wind 14 to 23 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

26.3F   temps been steadily rising all morning.  Up to 35/28F.  Dim sun is not helping.  Nice to see frozen well SW.  I am surprised no snow advisories for more northern/higher elevations.  Could get a quick few inches before turnover.  May surprise some people.  Time will tell.  I'll post obs in the storm thread.

37 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I forgot, but what are you doing for work up there?

I don't work up here - I work for a pharma company in Cambridge, Mass, but I work remotely a good chunk of the time and if all goes according to plan, soon all the time. I work with our sales force which is all over the US, so either than meetings at HQ, it doesn't really matter where I am

33 minutes ago, alex said:

I don't work up here - I work for a pharma company in Cambridge, Mass, but I work remotely a good chunk of the time and if all goes according to plan, soon all the time. I work with our sales force which is all over the US, so either than meetings at HQ, it doesn't really matter where I am

Cool. Which pharma? I used to work in worcester (human vaccines), but now animal health in portland.

On 10/26/2016 at 11:34 AM, Hitman said:

That's two events with no apparent drifting on the stake.  I think they must have moved it.  I dont know when I'm going to be up there to check it though.

Hey if you know people up there, pass along that they should clear the snow around the Stake so it doesn't keep starting with the first inch covered up on the actual ruler.  Wouldn't matter if someone was dropping a measuring device into the middle of the board but having the first inch covered up to will skew it high.  

What an awesome resource.  I've already got plans now to do one at the top of the Gondola.  It's not the official measuring site but I think it'll work.  I want an elevated one though so when the snow gets cleared it doesn't create a depression with "snowpiles"  on either side...my fear is that'll cause the wind to fill it in even with very light wind.

Snowing up there now.  What an awesome resource for 4kft.

IMG_3615.PNG

36.9F/34F  light rain.  Boy I was really surprised we didn't manage a snowflake on the front end of this storm.  When I saw it snowing in CN this AM I was sure we would start off as snow or rain changing to snow and then back to rain.  Morning sun did us in.  Other than a few cat paws just plain rain. Perhaps there is a small window left for a changeover if it comes down hard enough.  It was close about 500 feet-700 feet higher up.

I'll enjoy my rain.

12 minutes ago, alex said:

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow start here. An occasional flake, then nothing, then an occasional flake. Temp is going down but still 37.6, DP 29.7

Cant always be upslope heaven :)

j/k-I was curious on how your location does on E/ESE flow events being on the other side of the presidentials? You are still at 1500ft, so you probably do fine, wonder if there would be any shadowing at all from MWN and other peaks? I don't know anything about the climatology there, trying to learn the microclimates of NNE.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Well, we'll find out! :) I've definitely seen a few times where this area doesn't do as well as lower elevations on the Bartlett side... my assumption is due to CAD. I'm not versed enough in meteorology (though I wish I were) to really understand the nuances... and it's my first winter up here!

I think you will probably do OK this winter regardless ;) 

CAD might not be as good as Bartlett, but I don't think you will have any worries with pack retention.  Meanwhile where I am, a warm fart from Pittsburgh PA on a SW wind can wipe out my whole snowpack.

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think you will probably do OK this winter regardless ;) 

CAD might not be as good as Bartlett, but I don't think you will have any worries with pack retention.  Meanwhile where I am, a warm fart from Pittsburgh PA on a SW wind can wipe out my whole snowpack.

LOL yeah it's probably not as bad here, but I've seen the pack get wiped in some rainstorms when Bartlett did much better. But the upslope that often follows usually seems to make up for it, and overall this area certainly seems to get better depths from past experience. We'll see!
In the meantime, just some light rain and few flakes mixes in. Looks like there is plenty of cold air right above us and the temp's being slowly coming down, but we really need some heavier precip rates to get this going. Interestingly dewpoint seems to have dropped a bit too...

Archived