Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today's accumulation on my car at outside the office.

Snowed all day but anytime it came down heavy it turned to graupel.  Very low ratio stuff.  There was 1-1.5" up higher when I came down in the snowcat around 3pm.

IMG_3586.JPG

'Cause that hood was so warm. 

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.05” L.E.

The BTV NWS says that our current precipitation is from a weak upper disturbance embedded in northwest flow, and this will go down as the second accumulating event for the month here.  It looks like it snowed at the house most of the day based on what I saw on the Web Cam, and there was snow and graupel on the snowboards hitting the 0.1” mark when I did 5 PM observations.  The rain gauge held 0.05” that fell since it was emptied this morning.  That northwest flow was still going strong at observations time:

25OCT16B.gif

With the way things were cycling through accumulating and melting today, I’m sure a few tenths of an inch of snow could have been measured, but the tenth of an inch I found should be sufficient to represent the day’s accumulations.  Similar accumulations have been occurring this evening, and again I’ll plan count just one round in the next set of observations unless we get something more substantial.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 38.5 F

Sky: Light Snow/Graupel (2-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

Yeah J.Spin, snow and graupel has been falling fairly steadily up this way.  Definitely a tenth or two of slushy accumulation on the deck and car...nothing on the warm ground.  Quite slippery on the deck actually, haha, almost ate it hard heading down the stairs.

Brief break right now but can still hear graupel falling lightly, with more moisture building in from the northwest so we should see another pulse up here in the next hour.

Oct_25_snowshowers_zps6iibye8q.gif

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah J.Spin, snow and graupel has been falling fairly steadily up this way.  Definitely a tenth or two of slushy accumulation on the deck and car...nothing on the warm ground.  Quite slippery on the deck actually, haha, almost ate it hard heading down the stairs.

Brief break right now but can still hear graupel falling lightly, with more moisture building in from the northwest so we should see another pulse up here in the next hour.

Oct_25_snowshowers_zps6iibye8q.gif

Same here, it's even dusted up the deck a bit. 

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.09” L.E.

The cyclonic flow and associated disturbance that produced the recent rounds of snow in the area are expected to weaken today according to the BTV NWS forecast discussion, so we’re getting to the end of this event.  There’s still been snow coming down this morning though, so whatever I find this evening will get rolled into this current event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Flurries/Graupel

Snow at the stake: Trace

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

8.25" for the month in Pittsburg...more like the week. Wish we lived there. They must be a weenie spot when there is blocked flow because the best terrain is just SE of them.  

It's also a huge town area wise. Depends on where they are measuring. The town covers some higher spots to the east that aren't right in the small downtown. 

36 minutes ago, adk said:

Thursday/Friday event is going to surprise people I think. Above 2500 feet I think that front end thump of snow will be really heavy. 6-8" certainly possible. 

Yeah, the initial discussion I saw a few days ago seemed to focus on a bit of front end snow going to rain, but that really appears to be with regard to the lower elevations.  It was hard to resolve this relative to what Roger Hill mentioned in one of his forecasts this morning, where he talked about a lot of snow potential, but I think this excerpt from the BTV NWS forecast discussion gets at it:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

744 AM EDT Wed Oct 26 2016

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

As of 418 AM EDT Wednesday...

All in all impacts from this event are very limited at the surface, with any snow on the front side of the system only a dusting to perhaps 2", and any downslope winds along the western slopes Thursday night limited to 20-30 mph as the timing of max winds aloft coincide with the heaviest precipitation occurring. That said, it will be a different story across the higher peaks above 2000 feet where thermal profiles still support storm total accumulations in excess of 6" to up to as much as a foot of heavy wet snow through Friday.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's also a huge town area wise. Depends on where they are measuring. The town covers some higher spots to the east that aren't right in the small downtown. 

I think he used johns nh weather's number. In which case he is on a hill immediately west of the First CT Lake ~1800-1850. There isn't much to the east of route 3 once you get north of Lake Francis other than logging roads/seasonal camps. I'm sure those hills to the east get considerably more than he does

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I think he used johns nh weather's number. In which case he is on a hill immediately west of the First CT Lake ~1800-1850. There isn't much to the east of route 3 once you get north of Lake Francis other than logging roads/seasonal camps. I'm sure those hills to the east get considerably more than he does

Just referencing his site, specifically. But that is a very large town...would be interesting to see the differences in snowfall. 

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Yeah the upslope to the east must be pretty awesome but we have no obs there. The 1850 site is pretty good though. That's several hundred feet higher than the small downtown which I think is around 1600. 

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One can't even fathom the snow pack east of Pittsburgh unless you have seen it first hand, Its prolific in most cases, It would have to be measured in feet over the course of winter

It's nice that he has a site like that to give us a glimpse. Wx2fish turned me onto that site as he goes up there quite a bit.  I never knew how much of a weenie spot that area is. You know it's cold and snowy, but I had no idea to that level.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just referencing his site, specifically. But that is a very large town...would be interesting to see the differences in snowfall. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the upslope to the east must be pretty awesome but we have no obs there. The 1850 site is pretty good though. That's several hundred feet higher than the small downtown which I think is around 1600. 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One can't even fathom the snow pack east of Pittsburgh unless you have seen it first hand, Its prolific in most cases, It would have to be measured in feet over the course of winter

If you all and Oceanstwx will contribute, I will take the hit and get a place up there just to get the obs.  It will be a sacrifice but I'm willing to do it for science.

Archived