Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like storm total at the house thus far is coming in around 4.5” based on what I’m seeing on the web cam subsequent to clearing it this morning, but I won’t have exact numbers and water content until I get home later today.  In any case, this is how December should run around here.  For a bit of contrast to last December, this month’s accumulation is already within a couple inches of what we picked up in the entirety of December 2015.

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

4.5" at home at 1pm.

Still snowing.

The BTV NWS has updated their thoughts a bit based on what they’ve been seeing – they mention isolated 5 to 6 inch amounts, which wouldn’t be hard to achieve based on what you’ve seen.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 10 PM THIS EVENING/...

As of 1237 PM EST Monday...Current radar still showing scattered snow showers across northern ny into central/northern vt this afternoon. This precip is associated with a weak deformation zone and leftover moisture across our northern area...and should continue to produce periods of on and off snow showers...mainly over the higher terrain. Given current radar trends and available moisture would not be surprised to hear about an inch or two...especially northern dacks and northern/central greens...including parts of the northeast kingdom. Storm total snowfall amounts will range from 2 to 4 inches with isolated amounts of 5 or 6 inches possible. Have continued to increase snow grids slightly to capture latest trends...especially northern zones. Otherwise...still anticipating precip to becomes more terrain driven by this evening as weak front helps to shift winds to the northwest.

8 hours ago, adk said:

The sugarbush cam will be really useless when there is 6 feet of snow surrounding it. They have to raise the board. Though at least they have a nice cam set-up...couch cough PF.....

Great storm. Best part is that this week will feature a bunch of refreshing 1-3" snowfalls.  Amazing how fast this world can turn around in a week - and as I have always believed- the greens do the best when there aren't big exciting nor'easter type storms. Just these messy stacked lows that drift around.  

fwiw-I've relayed our concerns to the powers that be. That being said, I hope that we're looking at 6' snow pack.  First world problems.

1 minute ago, Hitman said:

fwiw-I've relayed our concerns to the powers that be. That being said, I hope that we're looking at 6' snow pack.  First world problems.

In all but the worst years, 72" depths at 4000ft are almost a given. In fact they are almost a foot below average max depth (88") for the snow stake - which is not at 4000ft. 

I can all but assure you that SB is going to have a 6 foot pit of snow around that cam at some point this year. 

It's a great product though and SB should be applauded. 

19 hours ago, J.Spin said:

The thread’s done a great job highlighting a number of early season inconsistencies with respect to snow measurement.  That Sugarbush summit method is going to produce outrageous numbers due to wind sift if they don’t change something as PF said, but apparently they’ve already made some corrections because the 31” total from earlier is now 20” in the past 72 hours.  You can see why the Snowbird SnowCam setup (both board and camera) is mechanically elevated to stay above the snowpack as the season progresses.  With all that said, below I’ve put the numbers for storm totals, for what they are, reported by the resorts as of this morning/afternoon in the usual north to south listing.  I’ve left out resorts that haven’t updated this morning, such as Bolton Valley.  However, I did tour today at Bolton Valley, and I’d say there was ~14-15” of new snow above the old base on the upper half of the mountain, so I’d estimate that as their storm total until they put something on their website.

Jay Peak: 17”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 22”

Mad River Glen: 18”+

Sugarbush: 20”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

Bolton Valley updated their snow totals today, and in their report they indicated 23” since Thursday evening.  They’ve also got 5” as their 24-hour total, so if that’s from this current storm, then perhaps 18” is a good estimate of their total from the last event.  That seems like a reasonable number using the surrounding resorts for comparison.

13 minutes ago, adk said:

In all but the worst years, 72" depths at 4000ft are almost a given. In fact they are almost a foot below average max depth (88") for the snow stake - which is not at 4000ft. 

I can all but assure you that SB is going to have a 6 foot pit of snow around that cam at some point this year. 

It's a great product though and SB should be applauded. 

Yeah that's a world class set up they have.  Improving every year.  Even out west getting that quality of a playback loop and live feed is tough to do.  Pulling it off at 4000ft in some of the harshest weather possible is a big deal.

I actually realized that their mid-Mtn Stake is near the top of Bravo?  Does that sound right?  If so, that's at the same elevation or even higher than my 3000ft high road plot that went in yesterday with the gondola opening.  

So mine is similar to the Bush's mid-Mtn elevation plot.  I can say though the camera is probably jacking their totals or they are wrong at mid-Mtn.  Like today 8" at 4kft and 4" at 3kft.  I find that difference hard to believe.  Same with the 72 hour totals of 26" at 4kft and 12" at 3kft.  They have had 50% less snow at 3000ft than 4000ft this season, which seems high to me.

Unless it really is that ridiculously different from the top of Heavens Gate down Jester to Allyns Lodge?  The last event here was pretty similar from 2000-4000ft, it was below that it changed a bit.  

42 minutes ago, adk said:

Absolutely, the averages don’t lie.  At 4,000’ this far north you’re getting into some pretty heavy territory with respect to winter.  That’s a rarified environment that is very much unlike our back yards or even the ski area base elevations.  We’re essentially into the period of the year now, and will be for the next few months, where protected spots at elevations like that have massive biases toward gaining snowpack vs. losing it.  You have to have some impressive events to knock the snowpack down substantially in spots like that.  They can happen, but most events, even with rain at all elevations are just going to feed additional liquid into the snowpack at that elevation and bolster what’s already there.

Taber said I'd enjoy the first line of the AFD...guess who's photos he's referring to? lol.

Near term /through Tuesday/... as of 220 PM EST Monday...an overachieving warm front this morning produced a widespread 2 to 6 inch snowfall across our region...causing a difficult morning commute...but outstanding early season ski conditions at local resorts per pictures received this afternoon.

Finished with 4.8" here after the final burst of huge dendrites.  This stuff should settle out some...its not pure cotton candy (the 30-40:1) but I'd say its in the 15-20:1 range.  Be curious what J.Spin gets for a ratio.

MVL ASOS with 0.27" liquid though they can't record rain properly I don't know how they'd do it with snow.  If it was correct and assuming my liquid was similar, it would be roughly a 17:1 ratio which would *seem* close to reality based on my estimate.

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I believe it...they had even better moisture to the west in upstate NY with this one and given the VT amounts, that 7" is right in line.

On that note, the North to south listing of snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas that made afternoon updates is below.  I’m using 24-hour snow totals, which should represent this storm up to the time of measurement.  Thus far it looks like a general 6-8” in the north and 3-5” in the south.

Jay Peak: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 6”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 8”

Killington: 4.5”

Okemo: 4”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 3”

Archived