Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing nicely at home but still definitely too warm for much accumulation at this location.  Snow levels and accumulations are mostly dictated by the precip intensity at this point.  Lower levels locally where heavier fall rates are occurring.  Stowe-Bolton-MRG-Sugarbush axis appears to be doing well.

December_2_8pm_zpswsj6h5wm.gif

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

32.5F  Light to moderate snow.  1/2"  in past half hour.   Temp started at 38F and has dropped 5.5F with snow.  Nice to see the ground whitened.

Yeah, dropped 6 degrees at 1P1 too in the last hour. Doesn't look like much on WV, but IR shows nice cold cloud tops spinning through with this shortwave.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Smuggs has been open daily for skiing and riding, so I figure they should be actively reporting snowfall like business as usual?

Wow, that’s funny, I had no idea they were open for lift-serviced skiing.  Between the fact that their website isn’t even defaulting to winter mode, they specifically have their winter season listed on the website as starting on December 9th, and they don’t seem to be updating the snow report consistently, they’re doing a decent job of making it appear as if they’re still in fall mode.

8 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Wow, that’s funny, I had no idea they were open for lift-serviced skiing.  Between the fact that their website isn’t even defaulting to winter mode, they specifically have their winter season listed on the website as starting on December 9th, and they don’t seem to be updating the snow report consistently, they’re doing a decent job of making it appear as if they’re still in fall mode.

Really, this seems pretty typical for Smuggs. Their marketing department is definitely geared toward vacation weeks and all that timeshare mumbo jumbo. As a diehard Smuggs fan, it seems like they don't really engage until mid-December every year. The old lifts are great- love the no frills base area and all (keep it!), but it seems like they need a wee push in the early season snow reports. They're slowly coming along with snowmaking, but nothing like Stowe.

The geographic barrier must place less of a demand on early season stuff- they just don't bother competing with Stowe or the other guys for the early season crowd- just a good hunch. In November/early December, it's more no-frills, they're just getting ready for the family crowd for the holiday weeks later on.  

Plus, it seems, they don't emphasize snowfall or place a regular emphasis on numbers much. Good mid-season reporting like $teaux (nice job, 'freak) but Smuggs always seems to be pretty conservative, or a bit lax? just not a priority for them? Would love to see someone get on top of the reporting like Freak  does, and really just have really consistent base-mid-summit reporting and all.  But, they have their priorities. and a little mystery is fun. 

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/1.01” L.E.

I rode home from Burlington with a friend around 5:30 P.M. or so, and from just spits of rain in town, the precipitation gradually got heavier as we headed east into the mountains and finally turned into snow with huge pounding flakes around Bolton Flats.  It wasn’t really accumulating with temperatures in the 36-37 F range, but visibility was tough.  I found accumulation on my car at the Waterbury Park and Ride, and with how heavy the snow was falling, I wasn’t surprised at all the find a couple of tenths down on my elevated snowboard at the house.  I cleared the boards at 6:00 P.M. and another tenth of an inch accumulated before the intensity of the snowfall waned and accumulations stopped.  The snowfall had already clogged my rain gauge in funnel mode, but there was 0.19” of liquid before the snow, and I pulled another 0.04 out of the core.  There had also been an additional 0.78” of liquid since the beginning of the system on Wednesday evening.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

52 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Didn't get any snow here, just some light rain and medium winds.  

Hard to tie a noose around my neck with cold, wet hands, lolz.

For those anxiously awaiting, my cam and station have been repaired.

Good finally, I have been hitting F5 for weeks and nothing

Wow. 

Only 1.2" at home on the car this morning but a few miles up the road a very healthy 5" at the parking lot level of the ski resort.

This is very dense heavy snow (small flakes) so I have to imagine another 0.5-0.75" QPF fell last night to get to this depth.  Grooming coming in with another 8" top of the FourRunner Quad bringing us to a total of 16" up there in the last 48 hours.

It is still ripping hard even with very little on radar.  Real man snowbanks with this one from the plows in the parking lots.

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow. 

Only 1.2" at home on the car this morning but a few miles up the road a very healthy 5" at the parking lot level of the ski resort.

This is very dense heavy snow (small flakes) so I have to imagine another 0.5-0.75" QPF fell last night to get to this depth.  Grooming coming in with another 8" top of the FourRunner Quad bringing us to a total of 16" up there in the last 48 hours.

It is still ripping hard even with very little on radar.  Real man snowbanks with this one from the plows in the parking lots.

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

Very nice.  Only a few flakes last night here in the low tropics.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow nice. Should be a good week up there coming up. 

Yeah this is shaking off the ghosts of last winter.  Everyone up here is pumped...like these are the events that break your way and is definitely a change of pace from last winter.

Still nuking out there.  With 1" QPF at the COOP prior to 4pm yesterday, given this dense overnight snowfall (over 1/2" liquid it has to be) and anything today, probably will be close to a 2" QPF event at the summit.  Pretty sweet.

Archived