Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, alex said:

Hehe thanks! It's a lot more fun than I even thought... but I also realize how good you guys are, it's not easy to take good videos!

Just remember to allow your confidence to build with time and subtle movements are best. What kind did you get?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing nicely in the village up this way.  Under 2 mile visibility.  Wasn't expecting it and don't see anything on radar.  Very small flakes so probably won't amount to anything but good to see haha.  Still early enough where a good burst of light snow puts a smile on your face.

Yep, same sort of stuff here, and I wasn’t expecting any accumulation, but the flakes recently got much bigger (up to 3-4 mm in diameter) so there’s already a tenth of an inch down and this one’s going into the books.  You can see the current push of moisture on the radar:

27NOV16A.gif

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

The sky has been threatening today and we’ve had a few rogue flurries, but there hasn’t really been anything with regard to flakes until now – there’s light snow out there, which looks like it’s coming from a bit of northwest flow.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing nicely in the village up this way.  Under 2 mile visibility.  Wasn't expecting it and don't see anything on radar.  Very small flakes so probably won't amount to anything but good to see haha.  Still early enough where a good burst of light snow puts a smile on your face.

Was snowing nicely on Church St. about 45 minutes ago. On Shelburne Rd. now and it's not doing much.  

9 hours ago, adk said:

I think like most EC snow reports you have to extrapolate what the number on the SB board means for snow on the hill. Like for Stowe's readings, you have to know how 3" with a north wind falls v. how 4" with a west wind falls. The SB cam is similar. It's at 4000ft and quite sheltered. That said, good for something, just not a per se ruler for snow on the hill. 

That said, not gonna matter this week! Hopefully we can preserve some natural snow base through this week. That's my only wish. 

That's very true.. its more about wind on the hill and how it skis than the exact amount.  You know a dense calm 4" can ski beautifully over even the most rugged ice...a wind blown 12" of fluff is about local knowledge, haha.

Anyway, with that new location I bet Sugarbush might give Jay Peak a run for their money in seasonal totals. 

16 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yep, same sort of stuff here, and I wasn’t expecting any accumulation, but the flakes recently got much bigger (up to 3-4 mm in diameter) so there’s already a tenth of an inch down and this one’s going into the books.  You can see the current push of moisture on the radar:

27NOV16A.gif

Got a dusting of white on everything here...but flakes stayed real small.  Nothing falling anymore up this way.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Today’s snow accumulation was quite fluffy, so I could only pull a trace out of it, but we also got some liquid precipitation earlier in the event that has been incorporated into the totals.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

Had around 0.4" overnight in town but a trace at the base of the resort, then half inch at the summit.

It was snowing pretty good in town at 5am and was nice to re-whiten things up.  

Caught this sweet Halo at the summit when the summit ridge popped above the cloud layer.  Crazy thing was it was still flurrying out of that cloud layer at low elevations while sun halos were popping at the summit.

For a weather weenie, mountain weather is hard to beat due to the vertical dimension.  You can easily see all the variations in the lowest 4000ft of the atmosphere, from sun up high to light snow down low.

15272328_10153930319947382_3985901382941

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had around 0.4" overnight in town but a trace at the base of the resort, then half inch at the summit.

It was snowing pretty good in town at 5am and was nice to re-whiten things up.  

Caught this sweet Halo at the summit when the summit ridge popped above the cloud layer.  Crazy thing was it was still flurrying out of that cloud layer at low elevations while sun halos were popping at the summit.

For a weather weenie, mountain weather is hard to beat due to the vertical dimension.  You can easily see all the variations in the lowest 4000ft of the atmosphere, from sun up high to light snow down low.

15272328_10153930319947382_3985901382941

You have been nailing it lately! 

Another picture from the drone.  No snow on the ground down here but the Whites were white!  Good visibility.  Mount Washington clearly visible on the right side of the picture.  47 miles to my NNE.  The mountain in the center of the picture is Lafeyette 5260 ft.  Cannon is just to the left of it.  Mountain on the left side of the picture is Mt Moosilaukee 4802 ft.  Mountain in forground above white barn is Plymouth Mt 2187.  Town of Plymouth is to the right in the valley.

Ladd Snowcapped.jpg

2 minutes ago, adk said:

Does it really have to rain this week?

UGH. 

Cool day at Whiteface on Saturday, moderate rain in the parking lot but changed to snow once passed 2,000 feet or so on the ride up.  The base felt like fall while the top of the Gondola (little whiteface) looked full winter.  Skiing was good overall.

Just now, qg_omega said:

Cool day at Whiteface on Saturday, moderate rain in the parking lot but changed to snow once passed 2,000 feet or so on the ride up.  The base felt like fall while the top of the Gondola (little whiteface) looked full winter.  Skiing was good overall.

Hence the question. 

Well that commute could have been better.  It started raining just after 6 in Norwich.  i put the car at the bottom of the driveway to avoid having to deal with any ice on the slope.  Roads were not too bad down there but 91 was icy most of the way to St. J.  Things seemed worse for those heading southbound.  More people off the side of the road, big lines behind the sanders.  Only saw one sander on the northbound stretch.  The roads were especially bad north of Wells River to St. J.  Lots of cars off the road and or blocking roads here in St. J.  the bridges and overpasses were by far the worst.  The road treatment looked underdone.  Of course some drivers were being stupid.  (looking at you black VW!)  Hopefully no one gets hurt.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Definitely thought there would be some ZR issues for you guys east of the Greens with those temps last night, never any worries here on the west side as we torch away in the low-mid 40s.

Yeah, it was like 22°-23° at 7:00 pm and I was thinking there was going to be trouble this morning.  Like I said earlier, from a commuting standpoint, it couldn't have started at a worse time.  Many had already started their rides to work when it started raining and there was no pretreatment that I could see.

Archived