Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Congrats powderfreak and jspin....looks like the snow hose is finally turning on for ya'll up further north after watching the Berkshires and S VT stack up early on:

Nov21_245pmRadar.gif

Roger that, this should help out the resorts up here with putting some additional liquid down into the pack.  It looks fantastic from a powder skier’s perspective, but of course the fluff is really at the whim of the winds.  At least there’s some denser stuff below from the earlier part of the storm.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, powderfreak said:

I honestly can't believe I didn't really see this at least once all of last winter.  Its not involving rain, sleet or ZR...its not a quick burst of 2-3" before going to 8 hours of rain...its just nice dendrites falling steadily.  I could care less about the actual amount here (I just wanted to cover the grass which has been achieved) but man it just feels good to watch it snow!

Yeah the flakes were great and as good as they get without question. This would have qualified as our second largest snowfall of last season here in the 3-4 inch range LOL. 

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Roger that, this should help out the resorts up here with putting some additional liquid down into the pack.  It looks fantastic from a powder skier’s perspective, but of course the fluff is really at the whim of the winds.  At least there’s some denser stuff below from the earlier part of the storm.

looks like you had 2 inches last hr from your web cam

46 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Looks like the upslope made it back to its true home.

Yeah but it'll pale to down south...so stoked for Mitch and you guys though after last winter it's nice to just have snow.  Having that low sit and spin north of Jay Peak for a full day definitely shifted the big-time event stuff much further south into the ALY CWA for upslope.  Weird placement for us up here but we'all end with some fun this evening now that the whole thing has moved NE.

I'm around 5.5" now, think I'll get 6" which is perfectly fine with me.

JSpin probably gets another 6" tonight alone lol.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I honestly can't believe I didn't really see this at least once all of last winter.  Its not involving rain, sleet or ZR...its not a quick burst of 2-3" before going to 8 hours of rain...its just nice dendrites falling steadily.  I could care less about the actual amount here (I just wanted to cover the grass which has been achieved) but man it just feels good to watch it snow!

I was like a kid this morning with a dusting...lol. That's all out weenie material there.

Event totals: 9.1” Snow/0.87” L.E.

The heavier snow pushed eastward from the Champlain Valley today, and the drive home from Burlington to Waterbury this afternoon was the classic journey from no precipitation into an ever-thickening maelstrom of big flakes.  Roads were actually dry in Burlington, became wet by the Williston area, and then snow-covered past Richmond.  Those who drive Route 2 or I-89 eastward know some of the spots with those long views down the trench-like Winooski Valley, and at each one today, the visibility to the east simply dropped another notch.  Consistent with the visibility trend, the intensity of the snowfall was greatest once I got past Bolton.  There was a van sideways on I-89 just before Exit 11 that had me in slow traffic for about 15 min, but I was able to get home by 5:00 for observations and liquid analysis:

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 33.5

Snow Density: 3.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.5”

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Eyewall...what are the accums like in spots like Richmond/Williston/etc.  I'm always curious of the gradient.

JSpin had it described pretty well. The vis drop was impressive especially approaching Bolton. I would say it was 1-2 inches at the lake front , 2-3 inches in Winooski and by the airport, 3-4 Williston, 5-6 Richmond to Bolton and on up rapidly from there up the mountain.  These are rough eyeball estimates and the wind played a big factor as well. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

looks like you had 2 inches last hr from your web cam

That wouldn’t surprise me with the structure of these flakes – ratio came in at over 30 to 1 at the 5:00 P.M. analysis.  It’s certainly dropped off in intensity to some degree, but it still looks like there’s plenty of moisture pushing its way into the mountains:

21NOV16A.gif

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man that's drool worthy. Enjoy it guys. 

Biggest event since February 2015 for me.

Current radar.  Seeing those yellows over Mansfield makes me giddy, haha.  With strong winds that stuff floats quite a bit downwind.  I seem to get my heaviest when the 30dbz echos are over the county line in these events.

Nov_21b.gif

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah but it'll pale to down south...so stoked for Mitch and you guys though after last winter it's nice to just have snow.  Having that low sit and spin north of Jay Peak for a full day definitely shifted the big-time event stuff much further south into the ALY CWA for upslope.  Weird placement for us up here but we'all end with some fun this evening now that the whole thing has moved NE.

I'm around 5.5" now, think I'll get 6" which is perfectly fine with me.

JSpin probably gets another 6" tonight alone lol.

Perfect setup for alot of places that normally don't get crushed. I am stoked on 8"---that works for me.

This is Shaftsbury VT which is a valley town a mile or town north of Bennington. I mean 18.6" pretty impressive for a place that doesn't normally get more than 2-4" out of most upslope events.

VT-BN-6
Shaftsbury 1.9 SW
Lat: 42.96241
Lon: -73.233631

Precip in. Snowfall in. Core Precip in. Total Snow Depth in. Total SWE in.
11/20/16 0.44 6.1 NA NA NA
11/21/16 0.93 12.5 0.96 16.5 NA
totals : 1.37 in. 18.6 in. 0.96 in. --  

I’ve assembled a north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Argos thus far.  Bolton Valley must have indeed been hammered with snow today since they’re now reporting a storm total of 20”.  The totals are highly variable, which is probably due to a combination of factors such as the nature of this storm, the wind, early season reporting and recording keeping, etc.:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 20”

Mad River Glen: 14”

Sugarbush: 7”

Killington: 13.5”

Okemo: 10”

Bromley: 9”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 9”

Mount Snow: 7”

Looking at the past 24 hours, it seems to me that the heavy upslope signal that was modeled for early monday AM was just delayed. The low was a little slow to move N/E and as a result the "pocket" of upslope favoring conditions didn't materialize until about 8 hours later.... Good lesson in the importance of wind direction and speed in upslope snow. It really does need to have a lot of "west" in it and can't be 30+....

Now it's time to choke on some pow. 

Event totals: 11.0” Snow/0.94” L.E.

Observations reports from last night and this morning are below.  The snow density has come up from the ridiculous flakes of yesterday evening – the flakes this morning contain some graupel balls and rimed-up plate-like structures.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 53.3

Snow Density: 1.9% H2O

Temperature: 27.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.5”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5