Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went out to check the rain gauge status and change it over to winter mode.  It’s clogged with slush now, but liquid prior to the changeover was 0.28”, which will mark the front end liquid precipitation for this event.  The slush has been added to the canister and will be counted as part of the upcoming frozen precipitation.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.35” L.E.

I’m leaving the web cam board to cover settled accumulations for now, but I cleared all my other boards and took 12:00 P.M. observations.  We’re still above 35 F here, so snow is only slowly accumulating, but there has been some whitening of various surfaces.  Presumably accumulations will eventually take hold a bit better as temperatures are forecast to fall later today.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.9

Snow Density: 35.0% H2O

Temperature: 35.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

cant see anything camera missing in action 

Thanks for the heads up Ginx – the first couple times I tried to connect in a fresh browser window it did that to me as well, although the image has been streaming on my cell phone all morning with no problems.  Anyway, it worked the third time I tried it – there may be some glitches in the connectivity at times for some reason.

I headed up to the mountain for an afternoon ski tour with the boys, so I can pass along what we found with respect to Bolton Valley’s accumulations for this storm thus far.  Similar to what was going on at our house, the base of the Bolton Valley Access Road at 340’ was right on the verge of accumulating snow, and you could see whitened areas in spots that accumulated best.  Seeing at least minimal accumulations right down that elevation suggested good things up high though.  By 1,000’ there was a solid coating of an inch or so, and although we didn’t stop in at the Timberline Base at 1,500’ to formally check, I’d estimate accumulations of ~4”.  Up in the Village Lots at ~2,000 Dylan measured 5” on the parking lot surface, but most surfaces were in the 5-7” range.  Up at 2,500’ we found ~9”, and we toured up to ~2,700’ but I can’t say we saw too much of an increase beyond the 9”.  Elevation/snow depth summary is below:

340”: Trace

1,000”: 1”

1,500”: 4”

2,000”: 5-7”

2,500”: 9”

2,700” 9”+

It was snowing the entire time we were up there, generally at moderate intensity with fairly small flakes, so the rate of accumulation wasn’t outrageous.  If things are really only just getting started in the Northern Greens though at this point, the overall accumulations should be pretty impressive.  A quick look at some of the high-elevation point forecasts has them calling for another 8-16”.

Here at the house, the snow is starting to stick better now that the temperatures have come down – I’ll be getting a 6:00 P.M. set of observations.

How was the wind, JSpin?

I saw a video from above 3,000ft on Mansfield that was fairly outrageous...everything was drifted (from bare ground to 12"+) and the evergreens looked to be getting shredded. 

That stuff makes a difference, if the west side is calm and snowing its going to stack up much better than wind hammered stuff.  I only got up to 2,300-2,500ft on Spruce and it was fairly calm over there.  Certainly not 9" though...6" tops at 3pm at 2,500ft.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

How was the wind, JSpin?

I saw a video from above 3,000ft on Mansfield that was fairly outrageous...everything was drifted (from bare ground to 12"+) and the evergreens looked to be getting shredded. 

That stuff makes a difference, if the west side is calm and snowing its going to stack up much better than wind hammered stuff.  I only got up to 2,300-2,500ft on Spruce and it was fairly calm over there.  Certainly not 9" though...6" tops at 3pm at 2,500ft.

Wind wasn’t bad – I’m estimating 15-20 MPH out in the open parking lot in the Village.  Right now the KVTBOLTO2 station at 2,100’ is reporting 10 MPH with gusts to 14 MPH, but that output is obviously subject to siting.  We chose nice sheltered trails like Lower Turnpike and Cougar for our tour though, and there were variations in depth of a few inches here and there (mostly due to the windward trees reducing accumulations at tad) but really nothing of note.  I’m sure the winds would show more effects as one approach the resort’s ridge line.  This storm certainly hasn’t yet put down the massive depths of dense snow that the October cycles did, and the snow is certainly much drier with respect to setting up a base, but the skiing is already quite good on moderate angle terrain:

20NOV16C.jpg

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.49” L.E.

Snow is definitely accumulating easily now that we’re below freezing, but flakes have remained generally on the small side.  We’ll see if accumulation rates change as we head through the next phases of the storm.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.5 F

Sky: Snow (1-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1”

It doesn’t look like there are any major updates with respect to the advisories in the area, but there have been some changes in the BTV NWS accumulations map.  There’s a much broader area of 8-12” accumulations projected along the spine, with those accumulations presumably hitting some lower elevations than was shown on the previous accumulations map.  Our area here at the house is in the 8-12” shading, with the point forecast of 6-12” fitting fairly well with that.  I see the Bolton Valley area is in the 12-18” shading, and I don’t think they should have any problem hitting the 12” mark since there was already 9”+ when we were up there this afternoon.

20NOV16D.jpg

8 inches total for us.

Edit:  it may have been a smidge over 8 as it looked like we did get a tenth or two overnight but I will call it 8.  It was amazing to see how much less there was down in town as I drove to work.  Probably an inch or less in Norwich and then by 91 there were spots (Ompompanoosic River area) where there was barely a trace.  Elevation clearly played a big role for us.

19 hours ago, mreaves said:

Pond filling up?

Incrementally.  I don't see any creek flow into the pond yet, but the channel bed is free of snow, which tells me that soil is nearing saturation.  One more good rain/snow event should do it, and then the pond should start filling.  Hopefully, it won't turn sharply colder and freeze things before this happens.  Kids are getting anxious to skate under the lights.   So am I :).  

23 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Hard to say because of the winds but it seems like we had in the 2-3 inch range here. Light snow showers this morning. I am curious to what Powder ended up with so far

JSpin recorded 3.2" so doubt Powder had much more than that in town. Your probably talking about the mountain though which is a different story altogether.

Archived