joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GFS Dependencies

isohume

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2016 at 6:19 PM, Jim Marusak said:

i know this is a very very unlikely scenario. but if some hacker were to to somehow take down the GFS and just not allow it to run for 1-2days you could pretty much take down most of the US weather enterprise or at least hold it hostage, given how much most of it is dependent on one model.

That's true. Part of me would wish for that. 

3 minutes ago, isohume said:

That's true. Part of me would wish for that. 

all those cell phone apps that rely on the GFS MOS  for their "spot" forecasts would turn useless unless someone actually did the forecasts themselves from scratch. and i'm not sure how many companies could do that, much less would do that.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:19 PM, Jim Marusak said:

all those cell phone apps that rely on the GFS MOS  for their "spot" forecasts would turn useless unless someone actually did the forecasts themselves from scratch. and i'm not sure how many companies could do that, much less would do that.

Oh I know, I'm being selfish. I'm just tired of staring at computers all day long. Give me a sat and an ob and I'll give you a fcst!  

7 minutes ago, ohleary said:

Airlines are sensitive to this type of stuff, missing a couple cycles of the GFS would probably have them ready to ground their planes.

I imagine TAFs could be produced by hand if push came to shove. Most of TAF writing is pattern recognition and local experience. 

Archived