• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
And we begin

1 hour ago, billgwx said:

The numbers for Snow Cover Extent at the end of October are in at the Rutgers Global Snow Lab...finished 3rd behind 1976 and 2014, and is in a virtual tie with 2002. All of those following winters were severe in the East in one way other another: 1976-77 cold and huge lake effect snow, 2002-03 cold and constant snow including PD2, 2014-15 Long Island/New England and NYC "near hit" blizzard and Boston annual record snowfall. WOW. Now we factor in ENSO, QBO, etc. for further clues...

This is encouraging news. I like how there have been several bouts of strong blocking so far. Hopefully, that will continue into and through much of the winter.

Arctic sea ice extent is running some 680,000 square kilometers below previous record low figures for the current date.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, billgwx said:

The numbers for Snow Cover Extent at the end of October are in at the Rutgers Global Snow Lab...finished 3rd behind 1976 and 2014, and is in a virtual tie with 2002. All of those following winters were severe in the East in one way other another: 1976-77 cold and huge lake effect snow, 2002-03 cold and constant snow including PD2, 2014-15 Long Island/New England and NYC "near hit" blizzard and Boston annual record snowfall. WOW. Now we factor in ENSO, QBO, etc. for further clues...

Bill ,

Could you throw this up in NY for us .

Thank you . 

Here's a chart showing rankings of October Eurasian Snow Cover Advance (which is neither total Snow Cover Extent, nor the portion of the October advance south of 60N, which is Judah Cohen's formal definition of SAI) since 1967, as well as the ENSO phase going into or during the winter immediately following. Data courtesy of the Rutgers Global Snow Lab. Until I can figure out how to get the portion of this south of 60N, am using as a proxy for SAI. Shades represent ENSO phase which I hope is obvious (reds/orange = weak/moderate/strong Nino, blues/cyan = weak/moderate/strong Nina, grey = neither). Lots of Ninos at the top and bottom of the rankings I'd say, and look where 2016 ended up...

October Eurasia Total Snow Cover Advance Rankings.png

• 2 weeks later...

this thread is dead

anyone see any changes to the pattern in the long range?

Early November U.S. Snow Cover Is Lowest In Over a Decade

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/us-snow-cover-least-in-early-november-2016

North America is flooded in warmth and there is no sign of real winter

http://gazette.com/north-america-is-flooded-in-warmth-and-there-is-no-sign-of-real-winter/article/1590001

On 11/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, billgwx said:

Here's a chart showing rankings of October Eurasian Snow Cover Advance (which is neither total Snow Cover Extent, nor the portion of the October advance south of 60N, which is Judah Cohen's formal definition of SAI) since 1967, as well as the ENSO phase going into or during the winter immediately following. Data courtesy of the Rutgers Global Snow Lab. Until I can figure out how to get the portion of this south of 60N, am using as a proxy for SAI. Shades represent ENSO phase which I hope is obvious (reds/orange = weak/moderate/strong Nino, blues/cyan = weak/moderate/strong Nina, grey = neither). Lots of Ninos at the top and bottom of the rankings I'd say, and look where 2016 ended up...

October Eurasia Total Snow Cover Advance Rankings.png

Any data for '71 and '69?

Archived