Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

PF is the resort a coop station? Can you look back at data?

In what way?  The summit station is a coop.  Our Mtn Ops stratus rainfall is written down in a notebook (lol) and there's a Davis system at the Johnson residence at Spruce Peak that we use quite a bit too.  That one has records on Wunderground.  

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

In what way?  The summit station is a coop.  Our Mtn Ops stratus rainfall is written down in a notebook (lol) and there's a Davis system at the Johnson residence at Spruce Peak that we use quite a bit too.  That one has records on Wunderground.  

I was curious if your office posted its records that you always refer too. I'm trying to fathom how you had 20-24" this summer. I hate you lol.

Scott,  Foliage really coming on fast in the NW Lakes Region.  Extended forecast of no rain and light winds for the next 10 days could make for a really nice peak.  Usually we start peaking, have a rain or wind event that takes down a lot of leaves and then a 2nd or 3rd peak.  With such a dry forecast without storms leaves should be able to stay on trees longer resulting in more types of trees all peaking at once.  Well see....

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I was curious if your office posted its records that you always refer too. I'm trying to fathom how you had 20-24" this summer. I hate you lol.

I pulled the data from the summit quickly, but can look up the base area Davis station when I get a sec.  I know one of those months was over 8" in the base area.  The summer convective precip is fairly similar at different elevations and more tied to if one pixel stays red longer than over another part of the mountain.  

June: 7.10"

July: 7.35"

August: 7.37"

The base area was also in the 21-22" range I believe.

Edit: Actually looks like the base area Davis was 18.43" for Met summer.  I was adding in May, which brings it to 22.90".

Spent yesterday in the woods north of Flagstaff Lake.  The walking was terrible - thickets full of dead horizontal little fir making every step a challenge - but the colors were spectacular.  The red maples are as blazingly bright as any year in memory, the birches are full yellow, sugar maples about 2/3 turned and they'll be great as well.  Driving revealed one "wow!" moment after another, in the fog heading north and in full sun on the way back.  Colors at home are high and entering the peak days, though the ash trees around home are nearly bare.

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Spent yesterday in the woods north of Flagstaff Lake.  The walking was terrible - thickets full of dead horizontal little fir making every step a challenge - but the colors were spectacular.  The red maples are as blazingly bright as any year in memory, the birches are full yellow, sugar maples about 2/3 turned and they'll be great as well.  Driving revealed one "wow!" moment after another, in the fog heading north and in full sun on the way back.  Colors at home are high and entering the peak days, though the ash trees around home are nearly bare.

Yeah this year is incredible.  Something special right now.

I'm going to go on my yearly rant about what fall foliage looks like to most peoples eyes verses pictures that are posted and then photo edited in post production.  Nothing wrong with editing but it is not what most people are going to actually see.

Unedited drone video from yesterday over First Connecticut Lake NH

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this year is incredible.  Something special right now.

With so much dry weather and light winds it really gives time for all varieties of trees to change without the early ones being stripped by rain and wind.  This year should be really good.  Color coming on daily down here in Central NH

A few I took today. These are with my cell phone, no editing or changing of settings. I'm not sure if there is some built in saturation to the stock camera mode, maybe?  

Drove around for about an hour in some of the higher elevation spots, some pockets of good color, but not widespread yet. The pics are from near 2000ft or higher.

rps20161006_113616.jpg

rps20161006_113753.jpg

rps20161006_121822.jpg

rps20161006_125756.jpg

55 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm going to go on my yearly rant about what fall foliage looks like to most peoples eyes verses pictures that are posted and then photo edited in post production.  Nothing wrong with editing but it is not what most people are going to actually see.

58 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice, I circled the cabin I always used to stay at before deciding palm trees > balsam firs.

Capture.PNG

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:16 AM, powderfreak said:

We've reached holy fukking sh*t levels of color.  This is what Northern New England is famous for.  All elevations and all trees changing all at once in the hills.  And very vibrant. 

We did something right this year.

You have had very good weather for getting the best out of the foliage....you didn't have drought like parts of SNE had and the weather in fall so far has been mostly mildish/warm days and lots of sunshine with crisp nights (but no huge hard freezes)...that's perfect.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You have had very good weather for getting the best out of the foliage....you didn't have drought like parts of SNE had and the weather in fall so far has been mostly mildish/warm days and lots of sunshine with crisp nights (but no huge hard freezes)...that's perfect.

We've enjoyed the same lack of leaf-ripping wind as has PF, but about half the rain, with local rivers at/near record low flows and wells drying up.  There's likely a complex mix of reasons for the eye-popping colors in NNE (and beyond) this year.  However, the frost/freeze of Sept. 26, even if not a major cause, was certainly an accelerant.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

See I disagree.  I do not think my photos or anyone's photos does this justice right now.  A camera just cannot capture what the naked eye can.  It's like neon colors out there...like oranges that look like a high-visibility vest a road construction crew would wear. 

No camera, certainly not like an iPhone, will come close to exactly getting this because the image colors are so dependent on lighting.  I've taken some on my phone and it's not even close.  It's all muted and washed out, and a lot of guests are remarking the same thing when you talk to them about the vibrancy.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is likely best in several years at least on the mountain.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

See I disagree.  I do not think my photos or anyone's photos does this justice right now.  A camera just cannot capture what the naked eye can.  It's like neon colors out there...like oranges that look like a high-visibility vest a road construction crew would wear. 

No camera, certainly not like an iPhone, will come close to exactly getting this because the image colors are so dependent on lighting.  I've taken some on my phone and it's not even close.  It's all muted and washed out, and a lot of guests are remarking the same thing when you talk to them about the vibrancy.

I have to get of my a** and drive up to N VT.  Seems like your colors are more vibrant in general each year  than areas further south.  The drone video (of course not mine)  is more like what I usually see down here. I would think that Pittsburg's peak would be close to yours.  PF I know you are not a guy to exaggerate, so I totally belief you.  With no rainfall over the next 10 days perhaps this will be a wow year for much of NNE/CNE.  Also glad the colors should be peaking many of the N Greens/Whites just in time for Columbus day peepers!  Webcam picture from Nashville right now.   They are lower and south of Stowe

webcam.jpg

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have to get of my a** and drive up to N VT.  Seems like your colors are more vibrant in general each year  than areas further south.  The drone video (of course not mine)  is more like what I usually see down here. I would think that Pittsburg's peak would be close to yours.  PF I know you are not a guy to exaggerate, so I totally belief you.  With no rainfall over the next 10 days perhaps this will be a wow year for much of NNE/CNE.  Also glad the colors should be peaking many of the N Greens/Whites just in time for Columbus day peepers!  Webcam picture from Nashville right now.   They are lower and south of Stowe

webcam.jpg

Yeah that looks nothing like what I'm seeing, haha.  But down in town is certainly nothing like up at the mountain.  You can see even in that web cam though the red and orange hues on the Spine.  Even zooming in on Mansfield, the slopes below the spruce line has a reddish hue.  

Once you get into the Spine there it changes rapidly.  But even here in town it's further along than what's in that web cam.

Archived