Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Heading to white mountains this weekend and hoping for more foliage this year. Last year was nearly all green. Hoping the couple cold mornings you mentioned will help.

Not sure where you're going, but it's getting quite nice around Bretton Woods. For some reason the colors don't really show up on my iPhone but they are there. I imagine if you went up the Kanc it should be quite nice. 

Click to choose files

2016-09-19 15.57.00.jpg

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Be up in Crawford notch

Hmm... down in the lower elevation - say by the Notchland there isn't much yet, but you'll be close enough for a short drive. The chair at Bretton Woods is free, btw - and the view is awesome. If you feel like a little hiking, Middle Sugarloaf off of the Zeland area just past Bretton Woods also has great views and decent foliage...

On 9/19/2016 at 7:42 AM, Lava Rock said:

Heading to white mountains this weekend and hoping for more foliage this year. Last year was nearly all green. Hoping the couple cold mornings you mentioned will help.

This weekend will definitely be nice in certain areas but I would think the following weekend would have more widespread good color in more areas.

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Fairways look in great shape with all that rain you've been stealing.

That golf course probably has the highest annual precipitation average of any course in New England, lol.  Elevations of 1,500-2,100ft (I've seen it snow on some holes and not others, there's that much elevation change) and probably a 70" annual precip average.

This summer our Stratus at MTN Ops has had something like 20-24" this summer.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That golf course probably has the highest annual precipitation average of any course in New England, lol.  Elevations of 1,500-2,100ft (I've seen it snow on some holes and not others, there's that much elevation change) and probably a 70" annual precip average.

Wish my lawn lived there.  

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sugarloaf course is a bit lower - 1,350 to 1,700 - but must be similar, except for all the blackflies boiling out of the Carrabasset running alongside.  One hole drops about 100' from tee to green; another climbs nearly 70'.  Based on nearby locations, I'd guess their precip is closer to 50" than 70"

I had to make the 125 mile trip south today down to the Boston west suburbs today. I could clearly see the stress on  many trees down there.  Lots of trees seem to already look brownish and noted leaves falling without any color changes yet.  I am guessing the drought may really impact the foliage season with trees that are stressed just dropping leaves without the full color change in areas of extreme drought.  

As we await the fall peak foliage to approach the international boarder of NNE I thought I would post an Aspen Colorado webcam picture from this afternoon.  Looks like peak is occurring right now.  Strong front about to move through parts of the Rockies which I would guess would end peak for lots of areas.  Our turn soon.

I just copied and pasted webcam picture below, no enhancement to color/saturation etc.

Aspen.jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 5:07 PM, wxeyeNH said:

I had to make the 125 mile trip south today down to the Boston west suburbs today. I could clearly see the stress on  many trees down there.  Lots of trees seem to already look brownish and noted leaves falling without any color changes yet.  I am guessing the drought may really impact the foliage season with trees that are stressed just dropping leaves without the full color change in areas of extreme drought.  

That's what's happening through the Hudson Valley too.  Color is weak to non existent, the leaves are just fading out and dropping.

About 25% color change in my area.  Did two home-PWM round trips Tues-Wed, and was surprised that the "species-adjusted" color was similar from Falmouth to the foothills.  Lots more late-changing oaks south of AUG, but some full-color red maples at both ends of the trip.  It's been dry at home (both Sandy and Kennebec are at record low flows for the date) but even drier in S.Maine.  That might advance the change, but so far hasn't seemed to mute the colors.

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

I took a drone flight near Smuggler's Notch today and here is what I found:

14445053_10103637561808889_3917636675686

14445073_10103637561719069_2227402867492

14468533_10103637561778949_9085034216507

14525231_10103637562123259_2187915482904

It's late this year...probably should be nice for Columbus Day weekend when historically that weekend is past peak.  I think we are running 7-10 days behind.  

Mansfield is starting to turn quicker now on the east/northeast slopes...south/west facing Spruce side of the Notch is still little color.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's late this year...probably should be nice for Columbus Day weekend when historically that weekend is past peak.  I think we are running 7-10 days behind.  

Mansfield is starting to turn quicker now on the east/northeast slopes...south/west facing Spruce side of the Notch is still little color.

yeah it is definitely late. I believe it was last year as well. Hopefully it is a solid peak when it does happen. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Hiked up Big Squaw. Moosehead Lake below. Great weather.
9dcd8bce3056cd6ba6476a6de3853183.jpg

Great view of the lake, the Spencers, and Katahdin out there 50+ miles.  Of course, you're non-PC; the Maine legislature has decided that any place name beginning with "squa" is verboten (Apparently, "squaw" has a not-so-nice connotation to some of the very very early settlers.), though they don't prohibit private facilities like the ski area from continuing to use the original name.  Even Squapan, a hill and lake west of PQI whose name supposedly meant "where the bears den" had to change; it's now Scopan.  Maybe "Musquacook" (lakes and stream about 40 miles west of Scopan) escaped because that evil foursome occurs in the middle of the name.

Looks like color is coming on there, though the hardwoods are too distant to pick out the bright spots.  It's probably approaching 1/3 change around my area and Monday's frost/freeze must be pushing things ahead.  Another windshield scrape this morning.  I'm guessing peak in the foothills comes next weekend, but some individual red maples are fully ablaze now.

Archived