Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WPAC, Indian Ocean, and Southern Hemisphere Tropical Cyclones

1900hurricane

3 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Yeah. I think he is all eyewall all the time. This is his scariest chase from an outside perspective. 

It will be interesting to see how difficult it will be for him to get out of that area once all is said and done. That part of Luzon is quite remote and the roads leading in and out of his location are limited. This may end up be a chase he later regrets. I hope that's not the case, but if the roads become blocked with debris and washed out in several locations, it could be quite a challenge. 

Just now, Tullioz said:

It will be interesting to see how difficult it will be for him to get out of that area once all is said and done. That part of Luzon is quite remote and the roads leading in and out of his location are limited. This may end up be a chase he later regrets. I hope that's not the case, but if the roads become blocked with debris and washed out in several locations, it could be quite a challenge. 

maybe he'll get flown out on a c-130 after haiyan if the roads are blocked.  he's pretty good at figuring it out and has more resources at his disposal now that he's filming for a show instead of freelancing.

13 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

maybe he'll get flown out on a c-130 after haiyan if the roads are blocked.  he's pretty good at figuring it out and has more resources at his disposal now that he's filming for a show instead of freelancing.

There's a small airport about 15 miles south of him that will no doubt be used as a staging area, so that could be an option he can try again. Hopefully there will not be any washouts of the road between his current location and there. 

6 hours ago, PressureDrop2017 said:

Typhoon Mangkhut, Cat 5 with 160 MPH wind sustained, wind gusts to 185 MPH

Some videos are starting to come in with the devastation, there are some local tornado-like effects in which roofs of buildings are torn off, debris flying hundreds of feet up in the air, cars and trucks lifted and flipped 

manghut2.jpg

Those images are from Typhoon Haiyan. 

3 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

Anyone know what the sustained winds were when it hit Hong Kong? The videos are nuts. 

The highest I found from their observations at the airport is 60kt gusting to 84kt

VHHH 160500Z 07060G84KT 1100 0900W R07R/0400N R25L/0400N R07L/0375N R25R/0325N +SHRA FEW010 SCT025 27/24 Q0975 NOSIG

• 3 weeks later...

Yowza! I probably over use maximum potential even if there are cases where the environment isn't perfect. But in Yutu's case, it is definitely maxing out. Almost looks as insane as Haiyan. Almost...

I am noticing a subtle bend back towards a more westward component in the extended loop. Not sure if that is merely short term, but hopefully that allows Yutu's intense core to miss Tinian/Saipan or any other population centers for that matter. b1acd4b163e9ae91fca76b98aae1c276.gif

39 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Yowza! I probably over use maximum potential even if there are cases where the environment isn't perfect. But in Yutu's case, it is definitely maxing out. Almost looks as insane as Haiyan. Almost...

I am noticing a subtle bend back towards a more westward component in the extended loop. Not sure if that is merely short term, but hopefully that allows Yutu's intense core to miss Tinian/Saipan or any other population centers for that matter. b1acd4b163e9ae91fca76b98aae1c276.gif

It would be nice for Saipan if this westward motion were to continue for a few hours as that would certainly spare them the core but if it "wobbles" back north much at all then they could get the eyewall. Gonna be a very close call for them.

Just an incredible looking storm right now.

• Like 1