Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WPAC, Indian Ocean, and Southern Hemisphere Tropical Cyclones

1900hurricane

• 2 months later...

Latest track has Nock-10 as a 90 knt storm basically right over or just south of Manila still, the southern end of the island of Cantanduanes and its "capital" Virac a city of 75k people looks to have took a direct hit though and the storm was easily a 130-140 knt storm when it hit there.......the path it is on is good for the rest of the folks there though over land and this thing should weaken fairly quickly.....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Debbie raising hell in Australia this location is just SE o where Josh is sustained 110 gusting 132...

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Proserpine+Hamilton+Isla%2C+Australia

This is where Josh actually or as close of a obs point as I can find to his location....

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=pws:IQUEENSL1168

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2017 at 7:07 AM, Bostonseminole said:

Will be in Tokyo next week, wonder if I get a nice visit from Noru towards the end of the week!

Noru rapidly intensified before leveling off.  Nice small annular storm that's taken an interesting track thus far.    

Screenshot_20170731-010439.png

Screenshot_20170731-010226.png

wp201707.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klw said:

this would seem to be an interesting run of the GFS

gfs_z500_mslp_fe_21.png

I've noticed there seems to be a problem with the GFS over-amplifying TCs lately. It was doing this last week too and has in the EPAC as well, although to a lesser extent. I'm pretty sure the GFS just had an update recently and this update brought a bit of an over-amplifying issue it seems. Either way, I wouldn't buy that, although decent strengthening is probable, just not to 870mb.

Typhoon Noru has been a named storm since 7/21/12z. It has 31 ACE units, the most in the year thus far, beating out Hurricane Fernanda. It has the highest intensity (Cat. 5, briefly 140 kt) and highest ACE of any storm in the northern Hemisphere this year. I believe it has been the strongest storm in the world since Super Typhoon Haima (2016) of 145 kt intensity.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:25 PM, Chinook said:

Typhoon Noru has been a named storm since 7/21/12z. It has 31 ACE units, the most in the year thus far, beating out Hurricane Fernanda. It has the highest intensity (Cat. 5, briefly 140 kt) and highest ACE of any storm in the northern Hemisphere this year. I believe it has been the strongest storm in the world since Super Typhoon Haima (2016) of 145 kt intensity.

Nock-Ten also had a 140 kt intensity on Christmas Day 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

Typhoon Hato intensified from 45 kt to 90 kt in a relatively short time (JTWC  analysis) . Here is the typhoon on Aug 22 at 22:30z (which was morning for this part of the world). Hong Kong is just north of the eyewall. Macau is north of the eyewall. On the HWRF map you can see Hong Kong getting the tip of the 64 kt winds.

JXQN1wa.gif

GVdACVV.png

• 2 weeks later...

Typhoon Talim, now west of Okinawa and northeast of Taiwan, has been rated at 115 kt (Category 4 starts at 113kt) by the JTWC. It is heading for landfall in southern Japan soon with a wind of 100-110 kt. The storm should track over a considerable section of Japan. JTWC discussion mentions that it likely peaked at 127 kt a few hrs ago.

TYPHOON 20W (TALIM), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 172 NM WEST OF KADENA 
AB ...
 THE INITIAL INTENSITY 
IS SET AT 115 KNOTS BASED ON SUBJECTIVE DVORAK CURRENT INTENSITY 
ESTIMATES OF T6.0 (115 KNOTS) FROM ALL REPORTING AGENCIES. TY 20W 
LIKELY REACHED PEAK INTENSITY AROUND 2100Z, WHEN AN INTENSITY 
ESTIMATE OF T6.5 (127 KNOTS) WAS REPORTED BY PGTW.

CQSbDXl.png