Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Hermine Impacts/Obs Part 2

Rjay

5 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Fair points about the challenging aspects of the forecast, with regard to steering currents, the capture timing, the transition to post-tropical, etc.  Unfortunately, although understandably, the vast majority of people only look at the outcome, not the underlying complexities of the forecast.  

We agree. Fortunately, this time around, the storm didn't surprise in an adverse fashion resulting in much more damage/impact on people than had been expected.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

We agree. Fortunately, this time around, the storm didn't surprise in an adverse fashion resulting in much more damage/impact on people than had been expected.

Makes me wonder about the behind-the-scenes discussions at the NHC.  I wonder if they really felt the storm was going to go much further east and faster, but didn't want to put that into the official forecast, since I'm sure they'd far rather err on the side of being overly cautious - last thing they want is to reduce all the warnings and then have a storm become far more impactful than predicted, with little to no warning.  Classic risk = impact * probability of that impact scenario.  

57 minutes ago, doncat said:

Had a shower earlier that wet the ground...I guess thats something right?:D

This is the first tropical or post tropical storm 2 day drizzle event with very little actual rainfall accumulation that I can remember getting.

Had to go down to the Tampa Bay area for the big 22 inch rainfall jackpot.

4 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Makes me wonder about the behind-the-scenes discussions at the NHC.  I wonder if they really felt the storm was going to go much further east and faster, but didn't want to put that into the official forecast, since I'm sure they'd far rather err on the side of being overly cautious - last thing they want is to reduce all the warnings and then have a storm become far more impactful than predicted, with little to no warning.  Classic risk = impact * probability of that impact scenario.  

That could be the case. NHC has typically preferred to make incremental adjustments to its forecast track. Gradualism may also have played a role. We'll probably know more in the end-of-season report.

Archived