Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Hermine obs

FallsLake

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yotaman said:

We ended up with 4.20" from Hermine. Lowest pressure was 29.45". Not sure about the winds but I see no branches down anywhere in the neighborhood so I doubt we got much above 40mph. Rather pleasant out right now if not a bit windy. Currently sitting at 70/69. Winds in the 15-25mph range with occasional gusts up to 30.

There are some pics of trees down around town showing up and 45-50 sounds about right for peak wind gust in this area....maybe even a few rogue 50-55....there were a couple last night between 12-2 am that I heard snapping and breaking in the pine stand across the road. Havent really gone to check it out yet but it was the longest sustained windy period here since Irene. 

Great example of how quickly flooding can shift in the sounds during storms. If you go just east of Greenville and look at the Washington,NC  gauge it went from 1.18 feet at noon on Friday to a flood stage of 4.68 at midnight. The wind then shifted and the gauge dropped from the 4.68 down to its current level of 0.77 feet.

Then look at the red flagged gauge at coast guard station on hatteras.....its the exact opposite. It was at a low of -0.17 feet at midnight last night and has now swung into a major flood stage with a reading of 4.87 sound side surge.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=mhx

57 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

My gauge holds 11" and it is about 3/4 full, no clue how PGV measured 14"+.  That includes Thursday evening when we picked up 2.5-3"

Being without power sucks, hope you get it back soon.  On my way to the game, I was expecting a bit more wind, but after Irene this is cool.

Yeah no way the 14" is right....if you add Thurs night into the mix then 7-9" seems about average for the area....

26 minutes ago, weatherfanatic said:

Hermine was not what the weather broadcasters said it would be.  Too much hype, just to get people to tune in to their channel, IMO>

Like all weather events, it depends on your location. Hermine came ashore in Florida as and produced conditions of, a minimal hurricane and that was what was forecasted.

38 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

At least 3 confirmed tornados in NC now associated with Hermine and the 80 mph gust at Alligator river bridge is one of the highest confirmed gust from Hermine anywhere including Florida. 

Is that gust possibly what flipped the 18 wheeler on the bridge? 

Well I would love to see if this ends up verified

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/09/03/hermine-arrives-wind-gust-of-60-mph-clocked-in-duck/

A trailer was blown onto the railing of the Alligator River Bridge, where a wind gust of 116 mph was reported, Tyrrell County Sheriff Darryl Liverman said. A few hours later, a tractor-trailer was blown onto the railing and the river was killed.

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Well I would love to see if this ends up verified

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/09/03/hermine-arrives-wind-gust-of-60-mph-clocked-in-duck/

A trailer was blown onto the railing of the Alligator River Bridge, where a wind gust of 116 mph was reported, Tyrrell County Sheriff Darryl Liverman said. A few hours later, a tractor-trailer was blown onto the railing and the river was killed.

Sad but an interesting typo.

Hope all fared well. Lost power at 1:00AM Friday and just got electricity and internet back an hour ago (other than my tablet and phone and I wasn't posting to save battery) - weird that we got hit that hard in Gainesville - lots of big old trees went down around my area - maybe a micro tornado? Reports were over 30K w/o power in the city - have not verified that # however. We had a grand neighborhood no-A/C party in my front yard as FEMA showed up to get us back on the grid - took them 48 + hours - the party on the lawn only went 12 hours until it was too hot to continue. :mellow: or folks were too far gone :blink:

42 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Hope all fared well. Lost power at 1:00AM Friday and just got electricity and internet back an hour ago (other than my tablet and phone and I wasn't posting to save battery) - weird that we got hit that hard in Gainesville - lots of big old trees went down around my area - maybe a micro tornado? Reports were over 30K w/o power in the city - have not verified that # however. We had a grand neighborhood no-A/C party in my front yard as FEMA showed up to get us back on the grid - took them 48 + hours - the party on the lawn only went 12 hours until it was too hot to continue. :mellow: or folks were too far gone :blink:

An image link:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT8kEtMxXiDgAb_FXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMm43aWFsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE5MTBfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Cedar+Key+Hermine&fr=yfp-t

Archived