joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Hermine obs

FallsLake

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Center is only 65 miles offshore now so it will be onshore in a few more hrs, lucky for them since the system is firing a new round of storms.....if it had had 12-18 more hrs over water it would have been a decent cane when it hit they got lucky...still only finding 50-60 mph winds in the north eyewall at the surface.....

9 hours ago, WidreMann said:

00z NAM shows less than half an inch for Durham. Not surprised.

The main rain shield stopped one county away here just as a number of 4km nam/hrrr runs showed...talk about typical.   I did at least get a little over an inch with the stalled front. Oh...and a a few 15mph gusts...scary.

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

The main rain shield stopped one county away here just as a number of 4km nam/hrrr runs showed...talk about typical.   I did at least get a little over an inch with the stalled front. Oh...and a a few 15mph gusts...scary.

Just think about those of us who didn't get any rain from the front or Hermine !

34 minutes ago, Lookout said:

This is like a tropical version of Jan 2000.  Everyone one county to the east and south of me saw snowfall.  I got nada.

Ahhhhhh lets hope not...

94ewbg.gif

FORECASTS FOR HURRICANE HERMINE CONTINUED TO SHOW GOOD RUN TO RUN
CONSISTENCY THROUGH THE FIRST 24-36 HOURS. WITH A WELL ORGANIZED
CYCLONE TRACKING THROUGH LOW ELEVATION COASTAL PLAINS AND EXPECTED
TO MAINTAIN STRENGTH AS A STRONG TO MODERATE TROPICAL STORM LATER
IN THE DAY 1 PERIOD...RAINFALL WILL BE VERY HEAVY AND WIDESPREAD. 

WPC QPF DEPICTS AREAL AVERAGE AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 8 INCHES. IF
ANYTHING...QPF TENDS TO ERR ON THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE...AND MUCH OF
THE MODEL GUIDANCE PREDICTS LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 10 OR MORE INCHES.
LOOKING AT HISTORICAL TROPICAL CYCLONES WITH SIMILAR
SIZE...SPEED...AND TRACK...MANY HAVE PRODUCED LOCAL MAXIMA
APPROACHING 15 INCHES...OFTEN TIMES IN THE CAROLINAS. THE RAINFALL
HAZARD STATEMENT IN THE PUBLIC ADVISORIES FOR HERMINE WAS UPDATED
TO REFLECT THIS...WITH ISOLATED STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES
POSSIBLE. IN CONSIDERING THE UPGRADE TO HIGH RISK...THE ONLY
HESITATION IS THAT THE COASTAL PLAIN AND OUTER BANKS REGION IN
GA/SC/NC DOES NOT EASILY PRODUCE FLASH FLOODING...AND FLASH FLOOD
GUIDANCE VALUES START OUT AT LARGE VALUES TODAY...WITH RECENT
WEATHER HAVING BEEN DRY. PROBABILITIES DERIVED FROM THE SSEO
MEAN...HOWEVER...POINT TOWARD A 70 PERCENT OR GREATER CHANCE OF
RAINFALL EXCEEDING FFG WITHIN 40 KM OF A POINT. THE INDIVIDUAL
POINT PROBABILITIES WOULD NOT BE SO HIGH AS THAT...BUT THIS
COMBINED WITH RIVER FORECAST POINTS NOW BEING PUSHED INTO MINOR OR
MODERATE FLOODING GIVES US MORE CONFIDENCE IN UPGRADING TO HIGH
RISK. THANKS TO THE LOCAL OFFICES FOR COORDINATION.

Doubt the winds are all that, right now around the center of the storm places are lucky to gust to 30-40 on the east side, they seem to hold it a true TS till it gets back offshore without it going extratropical, if it can start to transition sooner maybe the higher winds up top will mix down better....if that happens then gust to 40-50 are possible I suppose...especially over the OBX as it moves offshore etc....

16 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Just a small difference in amount totals expected.

When the models were showing the heavy QPF for our area the SLP was tracking NW of MYR, now they are all showing it tracking right over MYR.  If it tracks over MYR then we are in the 1-3" range, if it's NW of MYR then we could get to the 4-6" range.  The HRRR has been ticking SE over the past few runs, tracking up the SC coast, we may dodge the worst of the heavy rains (3+") if true.

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

When the models were showing the heavy QPF for our area the SLP was tracking NW of MYR, now they are all showing it tracking right over MYR.  If it tracks over MYR then we are in the 1-3" range, if it's NW of MYR then we could get to the 4-6" range.  The HRRR has been ticking SE over the past few runs, tracking up the SC coast, we may dodge the worst of the heavy rains (3+") if true.

Guess we just have to wait and see. You'd think we would learn by now not to trust the models more than 24 hours out when it comes to extreme events, whether it be a winter or tropical storm. Even 24 hours out is a bit much. I would actually like to see the lesser precip totals this time.

6 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Guess we just have to wait and see. You'd think we would learn by now not to trust the models more than 24 hours out when it comes to extreme events, whether it be a winter or tropical storm. Even 24 hours out is a bit much. I would actually like to see the lesser precip totals this time.

I said it a couple of times this week...we (RDU) seem to always dodge these extreme weather solutions, whether it's snow/sleet or tropical rain/wind.  Just lucky I guess...

11z HRRR run had 1" QPF in NW Wake and 4" in SE Wake with 6+" 20 miles away.  This thing shifts 20-30 miles NW or SE would mean getting possibly nothing to 6"+.  1-3" still looks good, with windy conditions tonight.  12z run shifted SE 10 miles or so.

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I said it a couple of times this week...we (RDU) seem to always dodge these extreme weather solutions, whether it's snow/sleet or tropical rain/wind.  Just lucky I guess...

11z HRRR run had 1" QPF in NW Wake and 4" in SE Wake with 6+" 20 miles away.  This thing shifts 20-30 miles NW or SE would mean getting possibly nothing to 6"+.  1-3" still looks good, with windy conditions tonight.

Or unlucky when it comes to snow.

And the difference between nothing and 6 inches really does sound like our typical winter storms, too.

5 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Looks like you're going to get what you want.  The models haven't done terrible with this system, except for that one set of runs that had the system tracking over us.  Unfortunately, we are in an area that is frequently affected by small changes in track, and things usually go in the wrong direction within 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Looks like you're going to get what you want.  The models haven't done terrible with this system, except for that one set of runs that had the system tracking over us.  Unfortunately, we are in an area that is frequently affected by small changes in track, and things usually go in the wrong direction within 24 hours.

Not to disappointed in missing out on rain but it is funny to see how we always miss out on extreme weather solutions...still paying for Jan 2k.  

HRRR has a fairly good handle...

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 9.30.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 9.30.40 AM.png

Who wants 6" of rain though......I switch with ya guys west of me hehe, 1-3" is perfect wont flood or turn everything into as swamp and will erase any "drought" issues, 6-10" most of it in 10-12 hrs is just blah.....

Luckily we should deal with it fine it takes a lot of rain fast to flood roads around here and a few inches a hr is surprisingly manageable for the most part, and usually in tropical systems we have storm surge running up the rivers making them flow backwards and this really hinders drainage of runoff causing storm drains to actually push water out of them versus the other way around making the street flooding even worse...we should have none of that. 

Archived