Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Obs--Fall is on the way

Avdave

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.16 for the month,grass is toast.

Get dry spells now and then but isn't near as bad as 1986,1993,2002,2007,and 2012 yet.

In 86 they were hauling in truckloads of hay from up north to feed the livestock all summer.93 had a massive blocking high over the SE that flooded the midwest and Mississippi River.02 was about 12-15 inches down in rainfall and brutally hot.07 recorded the highest temp here of 104.7.12 was about 10 inches down and the heat just wouldn't break.

No 100 degree heat here yet but a lot of 90's which makes up for it.

Ive lived in Wilmington for 10 years and Raleigh for the last 10 and i keep a boat in Wrightsville. IMO yes Wilmington is much warmer than Raleigh in the winter. Many times in Raleigh it may be 45 but in Wilmington 56-57. To me, that is "much"...but then again i hate the cold so every 5-10 degrees makes a huge diff. Wilmington also during the peak winter months still posts (on avg) a 60 degree day every 10 days.

Vegetation is much diff down there. Live oaks, spanish moss, saw palmettos growing beside I-40 (mile marker 409 to around 412 both sides) tons of them. 110 miles makes a big diff when its almost due south and said are is affected by the gulf stream not far off shore.

16 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

A nice little line of storms moving Northeast through the Piedmont now.  Too bad it didn't get its act together until after it passed Wilson.  Now more thn two weeks without any significant rainfall.

Still only 0.05" here for all of August so far. Definitely, the driest it has been here in several years. 

Archived