Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

GFS coming in further SE of the 18z. Still a hit but time to temper expectations.

Every model run tonight has looked different from one another.  The final solution is not here yet.  It's always good to temper expectations though but not bc of one GFS run.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

GFS coming in further SE of the 18z. Still a hit but time to temper expectations.

If the expectation was a Sandy, that's overblown. If it was for a very severe nor'easter or storm like Irene or maybe Gloria, that might be more reasonable. Sandy is the type of storm that happens once maybe every century even in this global warming era. Sandy's strength itself wasn't even that much a reason for the destruction besides the insane setup-a phasing strong Midwestern trough, blocking high, enormous size and NW track into NJ with a full moon. A decent Sandy analog would be a 1991 Perfect Storm on steroids aimed into NJ at high tide. This is not the same situation. 

Maybe to clarify the last post, Sandy wasn't terrible south of LBI since the center made landfall at Brigantine, and south of there the surge was much less because of NW winds blowing it away. This might be like Sandy or worse south of there. North of there this will be nothing like Sandy. That doesn't mean it won't be severe. 

11 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

Yes true but duration of this event would be what 36-60 hrs or so . that's 6 tide cycles . New moon tides are I believe a foot and a half higher then normal . Where I am I believe Sunday the tide will be 7ft 8 inches at high . that's well over a foot of normal high . so add 4 ft to that maybe 5 . you are now 5-6 ft above normal . add waves another 2 ft and I'm being generous . so we are looking at 14 foot high seas . That's on this track if it takes a boost north 30-50 miles for the duration that its going to be . This will be worse then sandy ..... 

I'm sorry, but you're simply wrong here, especially for anywhere north of about LBI.  This will in no way be worse than Sandy for LBI, Seaside, Asbury, Raritan Bay, NYC, or LI - not even close.  Predictions are for "moderate to major" for these locations, which is a far cry from Sandy's catastrophic flooding.  Re-read my post and the lnks I provided to the surge forecasts.  Yes, the flooding will be close to historic from AC on south (but historic does not equal catastrophic there, as they've never seen a Sandy event in recorded history), which was not hit nearly as hard by Sandy, due to the track to the north of there.  

Dec 1992 might be a decent storm to expect for NJ north of where Sandy made landfall. Still a bad event but not devastation like Sandy's. That was a very long lasting storm over multiple high tide cycles. The surge from Sandy was much less from Brigantine on south, so this might match or exceed that. But I don't see anyone receiving an 8-10 foot surge like Sandy delivered. The surge models are nowhere near this-there's an area of 5ft or so from ACY up to around Sandy Hook. Sandy's waves also exceeded 30 feet offshore, which piled onto the surge. 

4 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I'm sorry, but you're simply wrong here, especially for anywhere north of about LBI.  This will in no way be worse than Sandy for LBI, Seaside, Asbury, Raritan Bay, NYC, or LI - not even close.  Predictions are for "moderate to major" for these locations, which is a far cry from Sandy's catastrophic flooding.  Re-read my post and the lnks I provided to the surge forecasts.  Yes, the flooding will be close to historic from AC on south (but historic does not equal catastrophic there, as they've never seen a Sandy event in recorded history), which was not hit nearly as hard by Sandy, due to the track to the north of there.  

No I understand what you are saying . Sandy was a storm that happens if you're lucky once in a lifetime . what I mean is the duration if you add up time of flooding .

How many storms like this have hung around longer then 24 hrs . 

3 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

No I understand what you are saying . Sandy was a storm that happens if you're lucky once in a lifetime . what I mean is the duration if you add up time of flooding .

How many storms like this have hung around longer then 24 hrs . 

Agree. Think of how long a 24 hour 'noreaster seems. Now think 3+ days with this.

I'm starting to wonder about this run north Hermine might take late Mon night/Tues AM to east of ACY/south of Montauk, as it's still quite powerful and warm-core. This might be LI's worst turn at flooding if that happens rather than Monday morning for NJ. And despite anything, possibly 5 days of massive waves will decimate the beaches anywhere in this subforum and even New England. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived