Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pamela said:

Those are some extremely intense squalls on the NW side of Hermine; rotating west-southwestward roughly 75 miles SE of the mainland.  They would be pretty disruptive should they work their way onshore later in the day...

not only that, these bands are extremely way ahead of schedule.   NAM is significantly further west again, and even it's 6 hour forecast has the precip nowhere near the area yet.

but some minor impacts is not out of the question for NYC

It'll be significantly more than minor impacts.  you need to look at the whole picture.  as discussed last night.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

If you believe the NAM/HRRR the rain kind of hits a brick wall near Western LI.

Imho its underdone, the atm is increasingly moisturizing. the Weather Channel an hour ago had Western Suffolk under partly sunny skies... um currently cloudy with gusts to 30 mph.

11 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

not only that, these bands are extremely way ahead of schedule.   NAM is significantly further west again, and even it's 6 hour forecast has the precip nowhere near the area yet.

It'll be significantly more than minor impacts.  you need to look at the whole picture.  as discussed last night.

Through 48 hours most of the 12z NAM's rain falls over the waters east of NJ & south of LI.

That is one strange model; I think there is great regret in meteorological circles that they chose it to supplant the ETA...

4 minutes ago, Pamela said:

Through 48 hours most of the 12z NAM's rain falls over the waters east of NJ & south of LI.

That is one strange model; I think there is great regret in meteorological circles that they chose it to supplant the ETA...

The NAM yields such unusual solutions that I recall once commenting that if a snowstorm ran from 9z to 15z; the 12z run would be hard pressed to reflect the event that was in the midst of transpiring...

4 minutes ago, Pamela said:

The NAM yields such unusual solutions that I recall once commenting that if a snowstorm ran from 9z to 15z; the 12z run would be hard pressed to reflect the event that was in the midst of transpiring...

i'm only paying attention to it's track at this point.  (along with GFS and Euro)   It's QPF fields have been different with each run. 

It's nowhere near having a clue what's currently going on wind and rain wise.

3 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

i'm only paying attention to it's track at this point.  (along with GFS and Euro)   It's QPF fields have been different with each run. 

It's nowhere near having a clue what's currently going on wind and rain wise.

Mr. Strips I wouldn't imho pay attention to any models. Nowcast my friend. Look at obs and satellite along with wv imagery.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It was pretty awful this summer with convection.  Consistently way too slow with timing of fronts too.  I've noticed convection has never been its strong point though

I am speaking generally...and I will concede I have not followed the weather over the summer as there was little worth following.

But we know from winters past that the Canadien is excellent in many ways...

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, Pamela said:

The Canadien is wet...the NAM is very close...and your global (GFS) is really only 50 miles SE from being a huge rainmaker...these models are no good with tropical systems...so you have to expect larger potential margins for error than with a mid latitude cyclone...

The above dispatch I sent on Saturday likewise applies...

1 hour ago, Metsfan said:

Imho its underdone, the atm is increasingly moisturizing. the Weather Channel an hour ago had Western Suffolk under partly sunny skies... um currently cloudy with gusts to 30 mph.

Clouding up all the way through NJ now too

vis_nj_anim.gif

2xne_sf_anim.gif

28 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

What did it show this morning? 

Also nice to see a change straight to the NW and not NNW much better chance of seeing some effects... What a whacky storm!!

The placement of the 6z Canadien precip shield is practically identical to the 12z; however 12z is drier out over LI...or so it appears from a cursory glance.

There is a bit of a model consensus emerging (about time!)...as the NAM & Canadien are not too dissimilar...as the idea of some backbuilding appears to be gaining traction.

Nevertheless; the majority of the really heavy tropical downpours are out over the Atlantic shipping lanes; though this might still shift a bit in later runs.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived