Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Pamela said:

12z Canadien of course a major rain event

PR_000-120_0000.gif

Well, I'm not a met, but I can't remember the last time the Canadian was used as a reliable model. Wouldn't you normally factor it in together with other models like the NAM, GFS, and ECMWF (and in the short range, models like the HRRR) to come up with an extrapolated forecast. You normally don't just take an outlier verbatim, right (unless there is a very good meteorological reason for it)?

1 minute ago, larrye said:

Well, I'm not a met, but I can't remember the last time the Canadian was used as a reliable model. 

every winter storm.  no, you clearly aren't a met.  

this is not to say i agree with the CMC solution, but it is not a garbage model by any means.  Far better than the NAM...

Just now, larrye said:

Well, I'm not a met, but I can't remember the last time the Canadian was used as a reliable model. Wouldn't you normally factor it in together with other models like the NAM, GFS, and ECMWF (and in the short range, models like the HRRR) to come up with an extrapolated forecast. You normally don't just take an outlier verbatim, right (unless there is a very good meteorological reason for it)?

Its always hard to say with these tropical affairs.  But when you have an anticyclone perched over the Canadien Maritimes rather than over Quebec...practically forcing it to edge NNW rather than the typical recurving path as it would ordinarily follow per The Bermuda High...all bets are off in my book.

4 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

every winter storm.  no, you clearly aren't a met.  

this is not to say i agree with the CMC solution, but it is not a garbage model by any means.  Far better than the NAM...

Never said it was a garbage model. Used the word "reliable". You took my words out of context. I stated that it was a model that is normally used together with other models to come up with a solution and that I can't recall the last time it alone had a solution that verified while other models differed with it to any degree of significance.

2 minutes ago, Pamela said:

Its always hard to say with these tropical affairs.  But when you have an anticyclone perched over the Canadien Maritimes rather than over Quebec...practically forcing it to edge NNW rather than the typical recurving path as it would ordinarily follow per The Bermuda High...all bets are off in my book.

Another thing to keep in mind with these tropical systems is that their impacts are always going to be felt far more strongly at the immediate coast than say 50 miles inland.

The '38 Hurricane that destroyed LI and Rhode Island was barely felt in NYC & Jersey...and the landfall was in central Suffolk County near Patchogue...a landfalling Category 3.  Short distances can yield major variations in sensible weather.

5 minutes ago, Pamela said:

So you're thinking is that the blocking high is throwing many of the models. OK.

Well it is clearly moving due east as per the NHC Advisory and Satellite imagery. How long this motion occurs is hard to tell but for now it is still booking it pretty good. There is no doubt forecast confidence is going to be below average throughout.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived