Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had it on last night prior to wedge. Now we open up windows and say ahhhh. Over 5" for the month now. 

Glad I had AC last night.  77F when I got home and I was going to try and make the night without it.  Nope.  Could not fall asleep, baking.  It was still 77F after midnight.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scoob40 said:

Good shot at mid 80's here I daresay. Sun already out.

hugely different reality 20 miles E on Rt 2...  even down here in Shrewsbury near ORH for that matter, where BD penetration was a bit under estimated by everything and everyone. 

must be like walking into another room through a door traveling W on the Pike from here; the plaque on that door reads, The office of the anally damned.

Ginormous bust potential -

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Socked in up here on the east slope of the northern Greens too.  Thick deck at 2,000ft.

You can see the problem areas well.

image.jpeg

yeah, i was looking at that exact same image out of Dupage a few moments ago...

when this sets up and you can see it in sat vis imagery it really does well elucidating how there is like this lateral climate variance in the atmosphere, where the lowest level may as well be a different planet. if you loop that image, the gray taint over Massachusets really is like a sheen on the very surface - almost like paint - it doesn't even behave like cloud materal it's so thin. the surrounding circulation medium seems to go on about while the 'paint' layer is forgotten about.  

above about the 900 mb level (about 2k ft give or take) it's the same over PSM NH as it is over NYC ... exaggeration but just to make the point.  

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, i was looking at the exact same image out of Dupage a few moments ago...

when this sets up and you can see it in sat vis imagery it really does well elucidating how there is like this lateral climate variance in the atmosphere. if you loop that image, the gray taint over Massachusets really is like a sheen on the very surface - almost like paint - it doesn't even behave like cloud materal it's so thin. the surrounding circulation medium seems to go on about while the 'paint' layer is forgotten about.  

above about the 900 mb level (about 2k ft give or take) it's the same over PSM NH as it is over NYC ... exaggeration but just to make the point.  

It almost looks like a glacier or very very thick snow cover or powdered sugar on a doughnut.

http://www.wxforecaster.com/Satellite/New_England.html#

9 minutes ago, klw said:

It almost looks like a glacier or very very thick snow cover or powdered sugar on a doughnut.

http://www.wxforecaster.com/Satellite/New_England.html#

all apt metaphors - yeah. 

i can't impress enough, ... the synoptics can even change over the top of this and if there isn't enough impetus in the atmosphere to drill to the surface, this level that exists just in the boundary layer and no where else can stagnate ... may as well be smog in the LA Basin.  

usually our weather is active enough that it does mix out sooner rather than later, but ... I've seen it last 4 or 5 days in April because the flow relaxed after a BD invasion and stranded that layer.  

more over, the models never see it - ... the best they do is have a BOS/Logan wind flopping around incongruent to the environmental gradient.  sort of like the physics for tsunamis of cool murk into that lowest 1,500 feet to the surface is only vaguely detectable by the models - it's sort of different than just a BD, too.  

this air mass is really taking advantage of unique topographical feed-backs more than having BD mechanics - this is probably the difference between the two I'm really trying to hone here.

in any event, my typical rule of thumb with this toxic invasion is that if the flags wobble even a little with air motion from the NE, everyone is wrong.  period.  no warm air.  draw the shades. dawn tomorrow and that's when it changes.  only rarely is it overcome/mixed out but the warm sector has to have some big time forcing - we'll see..

I rode along on a nice loop up to North Conway, over Bear Notch Road, the Kanc, through Franconia Notch and up to Sugar Hill yesterday.  Pretty epic...peak foliage everywhere except above 2000' or so on the Kanc.  Absolutely perfect day.  I had never been down Bear Notch Road before... always neat to see things from a different angle.

28 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I rode along on a nice loop up to North Conway, over Bear Notch Road, the Kanc, through Franconia Notch and up to Sugar Hill yesterday.  Pretty epic...peak foliage everywhere except above 2000' or so on the Kanc.  Absolutely perfect day.  I had never been down Bear Notch Road before... always neat to see things from a different angle.

eek,  it does seem to be an epic season.  I don't think it has to do with the drought.  Other than one day of wind last Monday we have had 2 weeks of no rain or appreciable wind.  I think that allows the leaves to stay on longer and allows different varieties to be able to all peak at once.  My oaks are now getting close to peak and the maples have been holding on.  Usually by the time the oaks peak the maples etc. are mostly bare.  Not this year.  A 975mb low passing by in a few days will take care of the foliage, that's for sure.  

45 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

We use that road all the time when we are up there during summer and fall.  They close it during the winter

I saw many mets proclaiming the drought would cause a poor foliage season.   I guess they are not botanists...

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

all apt metaphors - yeah. 

i can't impress enough, ... the synoptics can even change over the top of this and if there isn't enough impetus in the atmosphere to drill to the surface, this level that exists just in the boundary layer and no where else can stagnate ... may as well be smog in the LA Basin.  

usually our weather is active enough that it does mix out sooner rather than later, but ... I've seen it last 4 or 5 days in April because the flow relaxed after a BD invasion and stranded that layer.  

more over, the models never see it - ... the best they do is have a BOS/Logan wind flopping around incongruent to the environmental gradient.  sort of like the physics for tsunamis of cool murk into that lowest 1,500 feet to the surface is only vaguely detectable by the models - it's sort of different than just a BD, too.  

this air mass is really taking advantage of unique topographical feed-backs more than having BD mechanics - this is probably the difference between the two I'm really trying to hone here.

in any event, my typical rule of thumb with this toxic invasion is that if the flags wobble even a little with air motion from the NE, everyone is wrong.  period.  no warm air.  draw the shades. dawn tomorrow and that's when it changes.  only rarely is it overcome/mixed out but the warm sector has to have some big time forcing - we'll see..

The models did show it yesterday though. The NaM looked troublesome for Boston and you know if it looks like that a day out...good luck. 

22 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

eek,  it does seem to be an epic season.  I don't think it has to do with the drought.  Other than one day of wind last Monday we have had 2 weeks of no rain or appreciable wind.  I think that allows the leaves to stay on longer and allows different varieties to be able to all peak at once.  My oaks are now getting close to peak and the maples have been holding on.  Usually by the time the oaks peak the maples etc. are mostly bare.  Not this year.  A 975mb low passing by in a few days will take care of the foliage, that's for sure.  

The drought has to have something to do with it.  

Or we have figured out that precip amounts have absolutely no impact on foliage.

59 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Was driving Bear Notch Road this year on an August afternoon when a mom moose and 2 of her little ones came roaring out from my left, single file line. I was far enough away that I could break and enjoy the view, was pretty cool 

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Based on the forecast I almost took today off from work to do yard clean-up, glad I didn't. 

It's 54F here at the office at the mountain and miserable with very low ceilings.

The east flow is jamming clouds and mank into Mansfield's east slope while the west side is in the 60s/70s now.

Almost 20 degree difference over a couple miles.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived