SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be awesome if the pattern resembled fall at all S of the 50th parallel   - heh. 

did anyone notice how the '2-day shot of fall weather' got pretty much smeared to pedestrian cool down and is really more like pleasant summer weather now?  ... perhaps not in all guidance, but the GFSX and NAM MOS don't shine on with that same cool synoptic panache that sparked that conversation the other day now that the time frame in question is visible to those products.  i think we warned this would happen at that time tho - not surprised.  in some conceptual sense it's hard to depend on autumn with heights over 580 and thickness' so high - what's knew? a trough dug too much in an an extended.

i just fear for 'ghost' amplitude in the winter, too - like take that same tendency to a D5-7 outlook during mid winter would be really annoying

• dendrite changed the title to Fall+Banter
29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the tropical system aided in that too. Get that out of the way and the trough may have dug a bit deeper. The Plains aren't having an issue it seems with that. Also, the ensembles were never as deep as the op runs, which goes to show you that they have more skill in the day 7+ range.

Aren't temps in the 60's all day Sunday?

So I want to put a ~40ft telescopic mast on my garage roof and attach a new Davis anny to it. I'll mount it in a tripod at the apex. Masts that size tend to have an outer diam of over 2" and it's tough to find a 5ft tripod online that can handle that diameter without getting the rusty coat hanger in the bank account.

Currently I have a 20-25ft pole up there with 3 guy wires about 3/4 of the way up. How would you guys install the 40 plus footer? The only thing on it will be the anemometer so essentially the only thing it's supporting is its own weight. Do you think I can get away with one set of guys at about 30ft or should I go with guys at two different levels to be safe? 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So I want to put a ~40ft telescopic mast on my garage roof and attach a new Davis anny to it. I'll mount it in a tripod at the apex. Masts that size tend to have an outer diam of over 2" and it's tough to find a 5ft tripod online that can handle that diameter without getting the rusty coat hanger in the bank account.

Currently I have a 20-25ft pole up there with 3 guy wires about 3/4 of the way up. How would you guys install the 40 plus footer? The only thing on it will be the anemometer so essentially the only thing it's supporting is its own weight. Do you think I can get away with one set of guys at about 30ft or should I go with guys at two different levels to be safe? 

I think you will need to guy it further up otherwise you will have too much swaying and wobbling especially if you're only using a tripod mount as the base. After about 8-10 feet unsecured those telescoping masts can move a fair amount given it's only a pin or screw that keeps the sections together. I've noticed a wobble even in a light breeze. If you were wall mounting let's say the lowest 10 feet you could probably get away with just a set of guy wires at the top. Better safe than sorry, and the cost to add an extra set of guy wires is negligible. You could just attach a new set of guy wires to the existing anchors depending on how far out from the base they are.

44 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

I think you will need to guy it further up otherwise you will have too much swaying and wobbling especially if you're only using a tripod mount as the base. After about 8-10 feet unsecured those telescoping masts can move a fair amount given it's only a pin or screw that keeps the sections together. I've noticed a wobble even in a light breeze. If you were wall mounting let's say the lowest 10 feet you could probably get away with just a set of guy wires at the top. Better safe than sorry, and the cost to add an extra set of guy wires is negligible. You could just attach a new set of guy wires to the existing anchors depending on how far out from the base they are.

Yeah...I'll probably do that. I'd imagine my guy ring is currently about 20ft from the roof apex. I could leave those guy lengths as is and just add 3 more for around the 35-40ft level. The mast I'm looking at has an OD of 2.25" on the bottom and most of the 5ft tripods max out around that so it'll be a snug fit at the bottom.

My Davis wind has been slowly slowing for a few years and I was ready to upgrade to an RM Young 05103, but I found a study that shows it measures lower wind speeds than reality since the wind vane has to reorient itself in order for the propeller anemometer to be measuring at 100% capability. The wind tunnel specs are impressive, but the cost and real world uncertainty steered me away. I'm leaning toward just going with a new Davis and getting the bump up in height instead. That should get my anemometer up around 60ft.

Archived