Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Hermine

Typhoon Tip

7 minutes ago, blizzard24 said:

euro is more nw on the 12zrun than 0z run closer to or just east Atlantic city coast before it was east of delaware coast

For that say go with models all time think again models are moving it around and more nw on the 12zrun than 00z run .
number one hurricanes will do what they want not what weather computer models say and we dont know if the high is that strong at that time frame and could less strong allow different out come and more effect on sne than some say .

TO MANY JUST GOING WITH WEATHER MODELS ON TOTALLY AREA OF STALLING  IT IN THAT AREA.  I wont and models have been moving it around to more nw and would be surprise if stalls more northward or tracks closer to sne area . hurricanes will do what they want to do .

Sounds like you think it will do what you want it to do.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Sounds like you think it will do what you want it to do.

Growing up in the 1960's it was common knowledge that Hurricanes do what they want.  I was taught that many times they could not make up there minds, were fickle creatures of nature and that is why they only had female names back then.  Computer models are great for forecasting except for hurricanes. Each one has a unique personality.  So I am not going to look at atmospheric steering currents and placements of higher or lower pressure or any such nonsense!  

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Growing up in the 1960's it was common knowledge that Hurricanes do what they want.  I was taught that many times they could not make up there minds, were fickle creatures of nature and that is why they only had female names back then.  Computer models are great for forecasting except for hurricanes. Each one has a unique personality.  So I am not going to look at atmospheric steering currents and placements of higher or lower pressure or any such nonsense!  

not to jump in the middle - not sure how much of this is tongue in cheek - but, no... 

Hurricanes don't do what they want, unless it's spin you are talking about.   

the popular idioms and sayings of common societal vernacular do not always connect with actual science on matters.  

Hermine is not moving astride the Atlantic Seacoast at the moment because it 'wants to' do anything.  it's directed that way by steering fields associated with a subtle weakness in the ridge, and that course it is presently on represents the path of least resistance.  

in fact, THAT is what hurricanes do, 100% of the time - they respond to the paths of least resistance in the atmosphere. 

as far as Hurricanes and computer modeling seemingly parting company too - that's an artifact of improper physical sampling and/or unknown physical properties .. as yet to be discovered.  Resolve uncertainties in both and the skill will improve markedly.  in fact, it already has. even since Katrina there's been an up-tick in accuracy for development profiling and track guidance as well...  

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I took it as 200-proof snark.  Did not lol but it was close.

you know what funny about this storm...  

it's going to sit and spin and upwell all the warm waters out of that area, such that the mean coastal storm track gets to be too far off shore to ever give us snow storms.

ah ha ha-ha ha

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's going to sit and spin and upwell all the warm waters out of that area, such that the mean coastal storm track gets to be too far off shore to ever give us snow storms.

ah ha ha-ha ha

Nearly 7 years ago Cool Spruce "predicted" (in like manner as above) that the New Year's retro-bomb would ruin winter for our area.  He was exactly right.   

May history NOT repeat itself.  ;) 

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nearly 7 years ago Cool Spruce "predicted" (in like manner as above) that the New Year's retro-bomb would ruin winter for our area.  He was exactly right.   

May history NOT repeat itself.  ;) 

heh, funny -

probably coincidental though - not sure i see how a single oddly behaving event would dictate 3.5 months of ensuing nightmare ... 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not to jump in the middle - not sure how much of this is tongue in cheek - but, no... 

the popular idioms and sayings of common societal vernacular do not always connect with actual science on matters.  

Hermine is not moving astride the Atlantic Seacoast at the moment because it 'wants to' do anything.  it's directed that way by steering fields associated with a subtle weakness in the ridge, and that course it is presently on represents the path of least resistance.  

in fact, THAT is what hurricanes do, 100% of the time - they respond to the paths of least resistance in the atmosphere. 

as far as Hurricanes and computer modeling seemingly parting company too - that's an artifact of improper physical sampling and/or unknown physical properties .. as yet to be discovered.  Resolve uncertainties in both and the skill will improve markedly.  in fact, it already has. even since Katrina there's been an up-tick in accuracy for development profiling and track guidance as well...  

Tip,  100% tongue in cheek.  Just having fun.  Probably shouldn't have mucked up the thread.  Of course I agree 100% with you!  I will say that way back when, when I was a kid I think many people did believe somehow they did have minds of their own, just ignorance of the science back then!

ah ha ha-ha ha

Sounds like the last 3 winter haha. 

Will be interesting to see what days of churning in the Atlantic do for the SSTs.

This is where the misconception that they "do as they want" comes from....its born entirely of out inability to forecast them.

Still seems NBD up this way.

ah ha ha-ha ha

I thought storm paths were dictated by weaknesses in atmospheric ridges...now it's SST?

Meh.

untitled.png

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

GFS is definitely west down towards Jersey.  What I don't understand is why it's rain shield is not further west.  Usually up at these latitudes the heavy rain can be well west of the center but not for Hermine.  Maybe its so much dry high pressure around the NW side its keeping the precip from spreading more west.  This maybe meh for us but the Jersey shore is going to have so many tide cycles with east winds.  Good that astronomical tides are low.

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is where the misconception that they "do as they want" comes from....its born entirely of out inability to forecast them.

Still seems NBD up this way.

yeah ... pretty much agreed... 

unless, " improper physical sampling and/or unknown physical properties  " somehow kick in and do something poorly forecast  -

i was hoping to get into some quasi-stationary PRE and throw a couple inches of rain into the deficit efforts but, in the spirit of 'doing what they want' this one appears hell bent on not only failing to do so, ...rubbing it in by lingering/taunting the issue. haha

Archived