Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Hermine

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

While we may not receive a direct hit from this, I do think it's a fascinating system.  How many times in our lifetime have we witnesses a storm basically stall out S of our latitude for 4-5 days?

It should be an interesting look on satellite, that's for sure.

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Or is it the amount and type of trees?

Has a lot to do with it.  New England has the highest proportion of its land in forests of any region in the US.  Given the TC frequency in FL, trees have to be more windfirm in order to reproduce.  In New England, a whole generation of trees can mature sufficiently between forest-destroying winds to have the next generation seeded in.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Has a lot to do with it.  New England has the highest proportion of its land in forests of any region in the US.  Given the TC frequency in FL, trees have to be more windfirm in order to reproduce.  In New England, a whole generation of trees can mature sufficiently between forest-destroying winds to have the next generation seeded in.

We also get our highest winds on average in the winter when the trees are leafless and dormant.  

Here on the mountain, if we had winds like we do for CAA and post FROPA in the winter occur in the summer, we'd lose a lot I bet.  Mixing 60kts down from H85 on CAA in January is much different than 40-60mph in August.  

I can also tell the trees up here at even 1,500ft are a heck of a lot stronger than the ones around town at 750ft.  These trees surprise me with what they can put up with, while 40mph is knocking power out in the village.

1 hour ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Looking at the new track from the NHC - I have a question.  Their track shows a post-tropical hurricane.  Is that possible?  

Sure.  It happens but not something you see regularly in or around the U.S.  I believe Sandy still had hurricane force winds when it became extratropical.  Another example going much farther back is the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, which restrengthened into a storm with hurricane force winds after the remnant center moved from the Great Lakes region into Canada.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We also get our highest winds on average in the winter when the trees are leafless and dormant.  

Here on the mountain, if we had winds like we do for CAA and post FROPA in the winter occur in the summer, we'd lose a lot I bet.  Mixing 60kts down from H85 on CAA in January is much different than 40-60mph in August.  

I can also tell the trees up here at even 1,500ft are a heck of a lot stronger than the ones around town at 750ft.  These trees surprise me with what they can put up with, while 40mph is knocking power out in the village.

Or why the evergreens, fir in particular, are so vulnerable in winter, when they get little help from the hardwoods.  During leaf-on, aspen is generally the most likely to fall, due both to rather weak wood and to tree form, tall with all the sail near the top.  (In Bob, Augusta-area black locust also fared poorly, and its wood is very strong.  The tip-upped bases of those windthrows suggested quite shallow roots, however.

Someone that I work with that's from Florida says it's because a lot of the power lines are underground and power poles are concrete.

TCs may figure into that, but I suspect FL's abundant and voracious invertebrates and fungi, working almost year-round, make use of wooden utility poles even more problematic.

1 hour ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Looking at the new track from the NHC - I have a question.  Their track shows a post-tropical hurricane.  Is that possible?  

I'll try to answer your question from what I know as a non Met.  A tropical storm or hurricane is a warm core system with certain unique characteristics that are different from a normal cyclonic non tropical system.  Hermine is undergoing these changes.  For the normal street person it really doesn't make too much difference of the dynamics, it is what happens on the ground.  The storm right now is producting tropical storm wind gusts.  As it moves back out over the ocean it may intensify so that winds increase to hurricane strength again.  Much like a normal winter noreaster that can produce hurricane force winds but is not a hurricane per se.  That is what is forcast to become of Hermine.  It is possible that as the storm stalls and sits over the very warm Gulf stream that it's characteristics become pure tropical again.  Either way hurricane force winds, heavy rain, high seas etc.  can be expected right at the mid atlantic to NE South Shore.  Hurricane Sandy was a good example of a tropical system that became ex-tropical but still produced all kinds of damage and problems.  Because the lay person gets really confused I believe that from now on the NHC will continue issuing tropical storm and hurricane warnings even if the system is a hybrid of sorts.

47 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'll try to answer your question from what I know as a non Met.  A tropical storm or hurricane is a warm core system with certain unique characteristics that are different from a normal cyclonic non tropical system.  Hermine is undergoing these changes.  For the normal street person it really doesn't make too much difference of the dynamics, it is what happens on the ground.  The storm right now is producting tropical storm wind gusts.  As it moves back out over the ocean it may intensify so that winds increase to hurricane strength again.  Much like a normal winter noreaster that can produce hurricane force winds but is not a hurricane per se.  That is what is forcast to become of Hermine.  It is possible that as the storm stalls and sits over the very warm Gulf stream that it's characteristics become pure tropical again.  Either way hurricane force winds, heavy rain, high seas etc.  can be expected right at the mid atlantic to NE South Shore.  Hurricane Sandy was a good example of a tropical system that became ex-tropical but still produced all kinds of damage and problems.  Because the lay person gets really confused I believe that from now on the NHC will continue issuing tropical storm and hurricane warnings even if the system is a hybrid of sorts.

Thanks for the clarification.

euro is more nw on the 12zrun than 0z run closer to or just east Atlantic city coast before it was east of delaware coast

For that say go with models all time think again models are moving it around and more nw on the 12zrun than 00z run .
number one hurricanes will do what they want not what weather computer models say and we dont know if the high is that strong at that time frame and could less strong allow different out come and more effect on sne than some say .

TO MANY JUST GOING WITH WEATHER MODELS ON TOTALLY AREA OF STALLING  IT IN THAT AREA.  I wont and models have been moving it around to more nw and would be surprise if stalls more northward or tracks closer to sne area . hurricanes will do what they want to do .

Archived