Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

1 hour ago, JoMo said:

Yeah the medium range does offer some cooldowns below normal from time to time.

Euro weeklies today still aren't very clear on what happens after the first week of Dec. It has a very 'flat' look, which either means that it's going to be a flat zonal type of flow, or there's a large variety of solutions/timing differences with the individual ensemble members. 

When was the last winter that every seasonal was warm...11/12 I would guess.  Although, haven't seen or heard about the latest Euro. UK should be out tomorrow.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro parallel weeklies finally updated. They give a better idea of the look. Looks stormy over the northwestern US and the Mountains, there's a finger of colder than normal temps extending from around Alaska to east of the Rockies into SW MO, including much of OK, all of KS for much of Dec.  A -PNA type of look except a bit farther east. 

negative+pna.jpg

8 hours ago, JoMo said:

The Euro parallel weeklies finally updated. They give a better idea of the look. Looks stormy over the northwestern US and the Mountains, there's a finger of colder than normal temps extending from around Alaska to east of the Rockies into SW MO, including much of OK, all of KS for much of Dec.  A -PNA type of look except a bit farther east. 

negative+pna.jpg

Sounds like either a great winter or an icy winter. Not sure which. Will be a 'fine line' situation.

8 hours ago, JoMo said:

Heard the new Euro seasonal is ugly... and looks a lot like the CanSIPS. 

The Euro parallel seems to disagree. Has a storm a a week cutting just to the right of the OK/AR border throughout December with cold diving in to the west. I love it honestly. Looks like 2010. Which euro to believe?

42 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

So here we go with another winter that never happens?!  I didn't think we could ever be worse than last winter, but.. man this sucks, are good winters a thing of the past?  I'm already down. 

The seasonal runs are almost all warm. That doesn't mean winter will necessarily suck like last year though. There's a couple things that worry me. On the weeklies, a lot of storm systems pass to our northwest, and there's an obvious 'northern stream' look, with the storms passing to our north. 

8 minutes ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

The Euro parallel seems to disagree. Has a storm a a week cutting just to the right of the OK/AR border throughout December with cold diving in to the west. I love it honestly. Looks like 2010. Which euro to believe?

You mean the parallel weeklies? The parallel weeklies did look better than the regular weeklies yesterday. There was ridging out by the Aleutians which resulted in downstream troughing over the western US with a -PNA look. This resulted in colder air being able to build up and spill down to the east of the Rockies. The regular Euro weeklies had troughing/low heights out by the Aleutians/Alaska which resulted in a somewhat 'flat' look across the US as it directed Pacific air into the US.

34 minutes ago, JoMo said:

The seasonal runs are almost all warm. That doesn't mean winter will necessarily suck like last year though. There's a couple things that worry me. On the weeklies, a lot of storm systems pass to our northwest, and there's an obvious 'northern stream' look, with the storms passing to our north. 

Yes and I remember well in dominant northern stream winters that stream squashing everything trying to come across here.  Cold, dry frontal passages. 

Neither the old or parallel Euro weeklies looks too exciting as far as sustained cold through much of Dec. Storm systems eventually roll across the US but pesky storminess around the Aleutians persists. Probably going to be an above normal Dec temp wise.

Jeesh starting to sound like last season all over again lol, I am ready as it is to move way further north again. Just too warm for my blood here, Its a beautiful state but just too warm for me. I'll try to hold off being too much of a downer right now, it's still fairly early. But come december, if I am still cutting grass I will be ready to hang in the towel again lol. Anyone else still cutting grass? I am soooooo done with that now too haha! Man at least let it be cold for xmas, last year I felt like I was in florida lol.

19 hours ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Jeesh starting to sound like last season all over again lol, I am ready as it is to move way further north again. Just too warm for my blood here, Its a beautiful state but just too warm for me. I'll try to hold off being too much of a downer right now, it's still fairly early. But come december, if I am still cutting grass I will be ready to hang in the towel again lol. Anyone else still cutting grass? I am soooooo done with that now too haha! Man at least let it be cold for xmas, last year I felt like I was in florida lol.

Yah man I'm mowing grass tomorrow, hopefully last time.   This is pathetic.   I think farmer's almanac has quiet and mild for us this yr lol.

6 hours ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Yah man I'm mowing grass tomorrow, hopefully last time.   This is pathetic.   I think farmer's almanac has quiet and mild for us this yr lol.

Tell me about it! We need a good freeze to put the brakes on this grass lol. Funny you mention that, I was reading it earlier when I was out and about....said the same thing. Very warm and looks to be a well below average snowfall season again!!! If this happens I am going to be shocked, so much for my thinking that usually a hot summer=a snowy/icy cold winter haha. Time will tell I guess

22 hours ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Freeze warning down that way for tonight? Somehow we've avoided the frost/freeze in Joplin so far... oddly.

13 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Freeze warning down that way for tonight? Somehow we've avoided the frost/freeze in Joplin so far... oddly.

Yea JoMo I just checked, low of 29 predicted!!! Good this is more like november, actually that will be a tad cold if anything but hey I am down with it lol. End of next week looks nice and chilly.

39 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Yea JoMo I just checked, low of 29 predicted!!! Good this is more like november, actually that will be a tad cold if anything but hey I am down with it lol. End of next week looks nice and chilly.

Yeah, big system passing off to our NW next week. Unfortunately, cold doesn't look to stick around long.

The temps so far look like 1998/1999. That winter was pretty mild except at the end of Dec into early Jan.

New JMA is out.....And it's not good. Stormy over western Canada Dec-Feb and that's where the cold stays this winter. Feb looks really warm for us.

Here's hoping all the seasonals are wrong.... otherwise it's going to be a mild, boring winter.

8 hours ago, JoMo said:

The temps so far look like 1998/1999. That winter was pretty mild except at the end of Dec into early Jan.

New JMA is out.....And it's not good. Stormy over western Canada Dec-Feb and that's where the cold stays this winter. Feb looks really warm for us.

Here's hoping all the seasonals are wrong.... otherwise it's going to be a mild, boring winter.

They were totally wrong in 2013-14 and they can be wrong again. No worries.

UKMET continues the theme of warm. 

However, it should be noted that that Asia is mostly glacier at this point so the models pointing to warmer than normal conditions there is very highly suspect.

2cat_20161101_temp2m_months24_global_det

The 500 MB map doesn't really line up with what you'd expect on the temp map.

2cat_20161101_z500_months24_global_deter

30 minutes ago, JoMo said:

UKMET continues the theme of warm. 

However, it should be noted that that Asia is mostly glacier at this point so the models pointing to warmer than normal conditions there is very highly suspect.

2cat_20161101_temp2m_months24_global_det

The 500 MB map doesn't really line up with what you'd expect on the temp map.

2cat_20161101_z500_months24_global_deter

Siberia is pretty laugh worthy. I'd toss it out.

Models trending colder in the latter periods of the upcoming 15 days. Going to be a lot more Novembery out after Thursday.

Weeklies (both sets) don't look real real horrible. Looks better towards mid and late December. The parallel weeklies want to back storminess to the west of Alaska again towards Mid-Dec which results in a colder US with storms undercutting a -AO/-EPO kind of look. Operational isn't excited about that idea. 

2 hours ago, JoMo said:

Weeklies (both sets) don't look real real horrible. Looks better towards mid and late December. The parallel weeklies want to back storminess to the west of Alaska again towards Mid-Dec which results in a colder US with storms undercutting a -AO/-EPO kind of look. Operational isn't excited about that idea. 

Doug Heady said it well in his latest heady pattern video.  Our cold this winter, as usual, rides on a -AO.  Projections are for it to go negative soon and hopefully park that way for awhile. 

48 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Doug Heady said it well in his latest heady pattern video.  Our cold this winter, as usual, rides on a -AO.  Projections are for it to go negative soon and hopefully park that way for awhile. 

The GFS Ensembles have actually been heading towards a better look sooner. This looks pretty good. All the blocking over the top.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_58.png

Two straight runs with snow in Columbia on the gfs. I have very little faith that will happen, but it's fun to have something to look at. 

The snow is showing up 2 weeks from now but that is when Doug heady said we could see our first taste of winter. Something to watch. 

1 hour ago, JoMo said:

JAMSTEC updated and surprise, it's warm.

temp2.glob.DJF2017.1nov2016.gif

It still thinks Siberia is gonna be warmer than normal? I remember when it thought Siberia was gonna torch back in August. Just saying that it's temperature map may be a bit warmer than reality though the precip map looks normal for a Nina. Here was its SON output from August.  We all know how that went lol.

image.gif

Archived