Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Temps have actually dropped a few degree the past couple hours on the mesonet, Norman back below freezing and OKC back down to 30 after briefly up to 31. 

I was just going to post this. Yikes.  We may not be out of the woods yet.  

EDIT (8:30 pm):. I was just out getting some food (on the northwest side of OKC).  Rain is much lighter than it was an hour or so ago.  My car thermometer is saying 32 but it is consistently a degree or so warm.  Roads are fine but the trees are definitely looking droopy.  Nothing disastrous yet... and it's worth noting that last winter's ice storms did a good job culling any weak branches... but if this keeps up, we might be hearing some tree branches snapping by morning.  

Kansas City still dry as a bone. The precip shield continues to struggle to make its way northward. The models have not done a good job with the dry layer about 3k feet up. Local mets are now saying .10 to .25. This really wouldn't meet ice storm criteria. 

Both the 00z NAM and GFS show .47 and .46 respectively for KC. Again, it's not handling the dry air very well so I would expect you can cut these totals in half at least. 

45 minutes ago, JoMo said:

32 and pouring rain here. Trees looking awfully iced over. Temps can raise a few degrees, that would be fine by me.

We are 32 and a a steady rain falling. Have a couple low hanging branches on small trees I'm watching to see if they drop any more. A little melting took place but lots of icicles on the trees along with the .2 of ice.

21 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Looks like another band is about to move into Joplin. Hope you guys get above freezing soon, if not, it could be a long night. 

Man, if we had been 2 degrees cooler the last two days we would be dealing with significant power and tree issues.

3/4 inch of rain and most all of it has been light with only a few bursts of moderate... like right now. With amounts probably going over and inch tonight we would've had 3/4 accretions.

This was one of the most hyped up storms I've ever seen. Especially for the MO side and those in OK. Parts of Kansas probably reached warning criteria. The NAM in my opinion did a good job hinting at lighter amounts because it seemed to detect  the dry layer which caused precip to stay south of the area. The GEM, Euro and GFS were a complete joke. Ice storms are tough to forecast but the hype with this storm was uncalled for IMO. 

22 minutes ago, KC metro said:

This was one of the most hyped up storms I've ever seen. Especially for the MO side and those in OK. Parts of Kansas probably reached warning criteria. The NAM in my opinion did a good job hinting at lighter amounts because it seemed to detect  the dry layer which caused precip to stay south of the area. The GEM, Euro and GFS were a complete joke. Ice storms are tough to forecast but the hype with this storm was uncalled for IMO. 

Maybe but, like I've told those bashing meteorologists around here, 2-3 degrees cooler in Tulsa and we're talking about 3/4 inch of ice and significant grid and tree damage.

3 hours ago, KC metro said:

Depends on where you're located. It hasn't even started IMBY yet but there's already DOT salt trucks sliding off the road in Hastings, NE along with semi's sliding off the interstate or sliding and losing their load on the interstate blocking it completely and the main event doesn't kick in until this evening/overnight here. Given the circumstances of how widespread it was looking to be along with the amount of precip expected and how little it takes to change the result, I think it was best to do a blanket Ice Storm Warning instead of a WSW this time.

Looks like everything is still on track with what the Euro Weeklies showed on Thurs. Warmup coming up as things shuffle around. Then into a +PNA type pattern developing at the end of the month into Feb, which should drop some colder air into the central and eastern US.

23 minutes ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

Had mixed feelings watching the Steelers-Chiefs game tonight. I'm a die hard steelers fan since I was a kid but I also really like the Chiefs. Either way, the Chiefs don't have much to be disappointed about. Good football today.

I'm a huge Falcons fan.  Have been since I was a kid.  One more win to make our first trip to the SB!  

Tough loss for the Chefs tonight too.  

storm precip totals from the last 2-3 days. I have seen some info from DDC saying that there was 0.75" of ice and even up to 1" of ice accumulation.  As far as I know, a lot of areas of OK, KS and parts of the Texas panhandle had local storm reports of 0.25" of ice. Southern New Mexico got pretty wet. I wonder if there was significant ice in eastern New Mexico.

I6lhCtN.png

SRFsQ5k.jpg

Weeklies have the +PNA type pattern towards the end of Jan with the eastern trough. Looks like something wants to come underneath as we go into early Feb. Mid-Feb becomes a little less defined as the troughing out near the Aleutians wants to push back east a bit, faint signals of a bit of something over the south and southeast though, then it looks stormier in late Feb into early March at the end of the run.

Temps in an hour or so.

EDIT: Temps are below normal at the end of Jan into Feb.. normalish through mid-Feb... then above normal through almost late feb, then below normal late feb into early march.

4 hours ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

Pattern isn't going to break. No snow for us. Might as well warm up.

Hell it has basically, there has not been much cold at all minus the few snaps we had lol. I have never seen a warmer winter season so far. I have pretty much given up for the most part on this craptastic winter season again for the 2nd year in a row now. I'll be extremely shocked if something happens or turns around for the better, guess ya never know really lol. But I agree, get warm and just stay warm! It gets depressing when we all look forward to it though, I try to remain calm and optimistic but it gets old after 2 seasons now ya know.

2 hours ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Hell it has basically, there has not been much cold at all minus the few snaps we had lol. I have never seen a warmer winter season so far. I have pretty much given up for the most part on this craptastic winter season again for the 2nd year in a row now. I'll be extremely shocked if something happens or turns around for the better, guess ya never know really lol. But I agree, get warm and just stay warm! It gets depressing when we all look forward to it though, I try to remain calm and optimistic but it gets old after 2 seasons now ya know.

I think statistically speaking we are only truly a degree or 2 above average for the first half of the season (DEC 1 to date). Last year kicked the crap out of this one in the warmth department. I think we were something on the order of plus 7 at the midpoint. November is what has made this one seem so awful to a lot of people. I think we set the latest freeze record this fall. I really think most of our problem this season has been the QBO phase and it's delayed transition. Its mark is evident in the similarities between the overall pattern this year and the pattern last winter. They really arent that much different in spite of the switch from Super Niño to La Niña (cold neutral really). The good news is that it should flip in the middle of this year. These 2 seasons have reminded me most of 2011-12 and 12-13. Both sucked but look what came in 13-14 and 14-15. Anyway, a lot of stuff to think about there while we see what happens with the rest of this winter.

1 hour ago, MoWeatherguy said:

I totally agree.   There's a chance the mean trough position sets up too far east of here in Feb and we get the screws again, ruining the little optimism we have left.   Another sh*t year already if u ask me.

That's a possibility. Winter isn't over yet though and Feb is typically our snowiest time of winter and it just takes 1 storm. That sustained winter that most are hoping for didn't happen, but at least we saw some flakes before Christmas, and the ice storm wasn't too destructive for most everyone. Next year is looking like it's back to El Nino, either a weak or moderate one.

Archived