Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

2 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

So, funny item for the day... our overnight low according to the NWS is 29. Well, we are already 28º in Monett. Just food for thought. :)

Ya that's interesting, I'll check the official airport temp update at NWS when it updates in 15 or 20 min.  At 6pm the 3km NAM forecasts 37 in Tulsa, the NAM 35, at my house right now its 35.1.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp down to 32 at Rogers/Bentonville already.  

This is Bentonville's forecast from NWS Tulsa:

A slight chance of showers before 7pm, then rain likely after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

5 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

A slight chance of showers before 7pm, then rain likely after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Yup. Anyone north of that imaginary elevation line 12 miles to my south is going to get at least some ice. This is why I get so mad at NWS Tulsa. I'd rather see them forecast (use judgement) and be wrong than throw a model out and hope it works out.

21 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

It's going to warm up down there before the sun comes up. At least according to the HRRR. 

39 minutes ago, Weatherdemon said:

According to Mesonet the freezing line is 1/3 into NW OK into Osage country and the Far NE OK counties at 6:30 and 36 in Tulsa.

Latest HRRR shows that line just entering NW OK and no where else and 36 in Tulsa.

interestingly enough, dewpoints are really close if not a tad cooler on the HRRR.

The dewpoints are what's critical now.  They will determine how cold we all are (and stay) once the rain starts.  

5 minutes ago, Weatherdemon said:

16 in BVille,  23 in Tulsa, 31 as far south as Talahina.

Basically below freezing except for the 4 SEastern most counties.

Bville could get hit pretty hard.  23 in tulsa, if precipitation starts that'll come up a few degrees, but a 23* dew point leads me to believe we're heading for an overnight low of 28 or 29* not the 32 predicted.  

28 minutes ago, Weatherdemon said:

16 in BVille,  23 in Tulsa, 31 as far south as Talahina.

Basically below freezing except for the 4 SEastern most counties.

Yeah, the immediate OKC metro reporting stations seem to be hovering at dewpoints around 19 or 20 F with air temps in the mid-30s.  It is going to be close.  Somebody is going to be in a serious mess by this time tomorrow.  I just can't quite tell if it is going to be me or somebody 20 or 30 miles north of me.  

11 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

I'm skeptical of the HRRR precip total in those convective bands. Also at those precip rates it would not be very efficient ice accretion so the ice accumulation would be less than shown.

It didn't show much accumulation but unless it's 27 degrees it wouldn't pile up very quick.

looks like Norman is going with the 00z NAM which seems pretty solid to me right now in terms of ice.

For Kansas City there is a significant difference of accumulation from the 00z models: 

NAM = .10"

GFS = .34"

GEM = .56"

I believe the majority of ice for the KC metro will come overnight Saturday into Sunday morning. Accumulations will probably be around 1/4" to 1/3" of ice. 

On a separate KC-related note, still thousands of (now very cheap) tickets left for the first BIG Chiefs home playoff game in what seems like forever. So upsetting, and such terrible timing... I'll be there regardless I guess. I don't think roads will be quite as bad as it may otherwise seem.

Archived