joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro Weeklies today do have the eastern trough developing as expected at the end of Jan into Feb. Working towards a -AO at times and a-EPO in early Feb. Looks to be a +PNA as well.

Control run has numerous low pressure systems passing south of us which is usually a good sign. 

Edit: Above normal until the end of Jan and then below normal through Mid-Feb.... then maybe slightly above normal to end Feb.

1 minute ago, STL Scott said:

JoMo..im pretty sure this all bodes well for the forum area for winter storms? Correct..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Should be, as long as the trough position is far enough west. The -EPO is always good as it drops cold air south. -AO is always good as well. The +PNA can be a bit troublesome depending on it's location. But the control run having storms/low pressure passing to our south is a good sign.

Thanks for updates I'm really hoping this storm starts our winter cycle, I realize we have a couple weeks period/pattern change next couple of weeks. I also heard there was a strasphoric warming event happening as well which usually bodes well 3- 4 weeks after..will see. Check back after championship game hoping models trend colder...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. I have been out of pocket on the road the last 36 hours or so (and being away from this thread and the models was driving me crazy... this is an awful habit...err, hobby). Quick question about the CIPS  analogs, as I have been looking at them. Aren't they based off of the GFS model? I thought I remember that from somewhere. Thanks for your help in advance. 

3 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Hey everyone. I have been out of pocket on the road the last 36 hours or so (and being away from this thread and the models was driving me crazy... this is an awful habit...err, hobby). Quick question about the CIPS  analogs, as I have been looking at them. Aren't they based off of the GFS model? I thought I remember that from somewhere. Thanks for your help in advance. 

Yeah, I think NAM short range and GFS longer range.

2 minutes ago, lokee said:

By 6am there is suppose to be an accumulation of .06 inches of ice. Right before drive  time. Many schools start school around the 7:25 7:30 time range.

It will be in the 60's and 70's on the days leading up to this event. Nothing will be accumulating on roadways until much later into the event unless you are way up in western Oklahoma or central Kansas where surface temps will be in the teens and lower twenties.

9 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

It will be in the 60's and 70's on the days leading up to this event. Nothing will be accumulating on roadways until much later into the event unless you are way up in western Oklahoma or central Kansas where surface temps will be in the teens and lower twenties.

Yea, I understand that. As a superintendent what would the call be?

10 minutes ago, Weatherdemon said:

To test the roads and forecast Friday morning.

What you're asking can't be determined right now.

Yeah, too early to tell for sure right now... but I'd probably cancel school just out of fear for how quickly things could deteriorate throughout the day, especially given how late buses are usually out. 

9 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

00Z GFS come in warm... most of us would be above freezing for much of the precip on Saturday. 

Yeah wayyyyy warm. Amazing how different it is than the NAM/GEM/Euro. Barely gets the freezing line into Oklahoma. The difference is how much more amped up the SE ridge is, partly due to how much deeper the trough is digging on the GFS. 

18 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Would the NFL decision-makers suspend the Chiefs vs Steelers game for too much ice?

I've never heard of the NFL suspending a game for winter weather. But I assume it's possible. Doubt it'll happen, especially since it's a playoff game. 

What the king does with its 00z run might continue or completely halt the hype train on this .

The Euro has ice in a lot of places, but it doesn't have those crazy 3" of ice like it did on yesterday's runs. Also, I think the graphics that I am seeing involve a combined sleet and freezing rain. I am guessing that the big patch of ice accumulation near OKC is all **freezing rain**. Overall thinking-- still some ice threat in OKC, Norman, and Springfield MO, perhaps a lot. The Euro has a complex storm system, with snow developing far west in KS and Nebraska and lower elevations of Colorado late in the storm.  Ice develops in southern Missouri early in the storm. A line from Wichita KS to Falls City NE-- might want to watch out for over 0.25" of sleet/freezing rain.

OGudF4p.jpg

Archived