Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jhamps10 said:

Actually OKC is right on the freezing line this run for a lot of it. Some ice however maybe 1/4" before warming up above freezing.. Canadian County on the other hand, but so lucky.. 

Thanks for the info. I've seen it said the past couple of days, the cold air usually pushes a few counties further south and east than the models indicate. Of course, we're still talking 5 days away. Lots of model watching to go...

00z GEM really cranks up the juice this run. Much more precip than it's previous runs. Looks to keep OKC below freezing with a ton of ice falling. Southern KS as well. Problematic for my area as temps are around freezing with a decent amount of precip before it warms as the system comes out.

3 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Heading up to KC Friday to spend the weekend, and go to the chiefs divisional playoff game Sunday, so all this is bitter sweet to me, want wintry weather, but don't want it to become too problematic. 

"Ice Bowl"... but with actual ice, everywhere, and falling from the sky. 

Just now, JoMo said:

"Ice Bowl"... but with actual ice, everywhere, and falling from the sky. 

Sigh... Really hoping that people still show up to the game. But at least the drive up there should be simple Friday morning. But driving back Sunday might be impossible. And, wow @ the 00Z CMC 

4 minutes ago, STL Scott said:

Looks like here in STL we could get hit hard to. I'm on NE side in Illinois..do you all see the same? Especially if GEM verified? Thanks for all your updates..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Yeah, St. Louis would probably get freezing rain on the GFS/GEM but would rise above freezing as the system kicks out. About 0.5-0.75 freezing rain on GEM and 0.25 to 0.35 on the GFS. 

13 minutes ago, JoMo said:

00z GEM has about 6-7" of rain it looks like in NW AR and E OK. Maybe a bit frozen but most should be just rain. Looks like 3" or so around OKC which looks to stay below freezing. Similar amounts up into KS. 

I really can't imagine 3" of rain all below freezing. Ugh. I've been through some doozies but that would take the cake. 

And good grief at the temps right before this, almost 70 in freakin january....disgusting!!!! I dont know, if those temps happen the ground is going to be so warm so I am really not too concerned about this right now. Just get missed here by everything so I will wait til I turn panic mode on until about thursday or so lol. 70 though, seriously! Good grief I have never seen these kinda temps in January before, never!!!!

25 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

And good grief at the temps right before this, almost 70 in freakin january....disgusting!!!! I dont know, if those temps happen the ground is going to be so warm so I am really not too concerned about this right now. Just get missed here by everything so I will wait til I turn panic mode on until about thursday or so lol. 70 though, seriously! Good grief I have never seen these kinda temps in January before, never!!!!

The random 65-70 degree day pops up pretty regularly in January around here actually. Most years ive remembered have had at least one in January. I'm actually going to enjoy it this year since we haven't blowtorched our way to this point.

Guess I made it up until the Euro...

00z Euro is going to be a bit colder (farther south) with the front and initial precip Thurs night/Fri morning. Freezing line is still NW of OKC... and runs up along the OK/KS border, across Joplin and then across southern Missouri. 

This is probably going to be a different solution because the system is going to get sheared out due to energy digging into it's backside this run.... Yeah that's going to get complicated because it's merging multiple pieces of energy, etc... 

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe this other than a long duration heavy frozen precip event that's a bit farther east than the 12z run. Temps may rise above freezing in SW MO and OK on Sunday but will probably go back below freezing Sunday evening/night. OKC looks icy, KC looks icy, Joplin looks icy but will be right on the line, as well as Tulsa. St. Louis will get some ice but should rise above freezing at some point.

Crazy Crazy frozen and total precip amounts...... 

3 hours ago, natecast said:

Thanks for the info. I've seen it said the past couple of days, the cold air usually pushes a few counties further south and east than the models indicate. Of course, we're still talking 5 days away. Lots of model watching to go...

I was going to make this same point.  I am relative newby to the southern plains but it seems like the models consistently underplay the strength and speed of the cold air push in these parts.    

Looks like SGF is starting to sound a alarm. Here is a portion of the overnight disco:

At this point in the forecast, models have been slow to find a
consensus in how they want to handle the storm system for the end
of the week into the weekend. There remains differences in total
QPF, temperatures aloft and at the surface, and ultimately
precipitation type and accumulations. While confidence remains
low at this time in any one particular scenario, the larger scale
setup for the end of the week does bring elevated concerns for
wintry weather. This could include freezing rain, sleet, and some
snow.

A cold airmass will filter into the region behind Thursday`s
front with surface temperatures Friday morning falling into the
middle 20s to around 30 degrees. Highs during the day Friday will
not warm much as the front attempts to slide back north across
Arkansas. This will keep the region under overcast cloud cover and
bring the potential for some precipitation. Surface winds should
remain out of the north aiding in cold air advection into the
Ozarks through the day Friday.

Through Friday, the front slowly lifts north and becomes the
focusing mechanism for precipitation to develop across northern
Arkansas, southern Missouri and Kansas. How far the front will
make it depends a great deal on the strength of the arctic high
that will be in place to the north of Missouri and the southerly
winds from the Gulf. These southerly winds will continue into
Saturday and Sunday as the front essentially stalls across the
region as the upper level flow becomes parallel to the front.

Despite uncertainty in ultimate precipitation types and amounts,
it looks as though the period from Friday through the weekend and
possible into early next week looks rather wet/wintry and raw.

Usual caveats long range NAM and what not, but at 84 hours it's at least 50 miles further south with the front in Oklahoma than the GFS. Will be interesting to compare the two solutions in the coming days. The NAM usually handles these shallow cold air masses better than the GFS. 

3 hours ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Usual caveats long range NAM and what not, but at 84 hours it's at least 50 miles further south with the front in Oklahoma than the GFS. Will be interesting to compare the two solutions in the coming days. The NAM usually handles these shallow cold air masses better than the GFS. 

the 12z NAM/GFS is showing the same thing.. Good point on the NAM handling cold air better than GFS usually, Long range or not it's a valid point to make here.

Archived