SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep GFS goes bonkers..thank you all for the ratios of sleet, I've etc..its been a few yrs since I had endured one back up in the PNW but models are trending I know it's early but local Mets started discussing it tonight in late edition after the ballgame..GEM is more snow on this run my way..be anxious to hear what Euro says. Can you post when someone gets a look appreciate it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

I wanna puke after the GFS run though. The ice key up there maxes out at my house on the state line there. :-(

If the GFS maxes out right over you at this range, you probably have little to worry about, lol.  

Nonetheless, the GFS is giving me 2009 flashbacks.

Ozarkwx I did not live here in 2009?? I take it that was real bad?? If I remember correctly I was at a conference in LA and one of my fellow club mgrs had to return to OKC because of bad ice storm. Had to bring in refrigerator truck to keep all food cold because power was to be out 2 weeks..i think that was 2009 so I'm thinking that's the one your referring too?

6 minutes ago, STL Scott said:

Ozarkwx I did not live here in 2009?? I take it that was real bad?? If I remember correctly I was at a conference in LA and one of my fellow club mgrs had to return to OKC because of bad ice storm. Had to bring in refrigerator truck to keep all food cold because power was to be out 2 weeks..i think that was 2009 so I'm thinking that's the one your referring too?

Yes, January 29 as i recall.  It was devastating to NW AR through KY and heavily impacted a much wider swath. 

2009 looked like a war zone.  Some areas with an inch or more of fz rain. NWAR was hit extremely hard.  Giant trees snapped everywhere.  You could hear them breaking well off in the distance.  Sounded like shots from a canon.  Tons of power lines down.  Very nightmarish event.  If the GFS or Euro versions came anywhere close to what they're showing I can't imagine the widespread devastation.  

11 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

2009 looked like a war zone.  Some areas with an inch or more of fz rain. NWAR was hit extremely hard.  Giant trees snapped everywhere.  You could hear them breaking well off in the distance.  Sounded like shots from a canon.  Tons of power lines down.  Very nightmarish event.  If the GFS or Euro versions came anywhere close to what they're showing I can't imagine the widespread devastation.  

My town in '09. Westville, OK.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DrFrj2v0z4UI&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiXlben7rHRAhUi54MKHYm6B5EQtwIIGjAA&sig2=C6IyKd2HN3m5mowpJAof9A&usg=AFQjCNHpoUIHdLcRPwDN2IJsDhqx-9FBDw

Should open the YouTube video.

Yea, 2009 had OKC and Tulsa metros without power. The day before it was supposed to be bad I was at our cabin by Ft Gibson. It was cold with light rain. My wife calls at noon and says the power is out at our house north of Owasso due to the ice. I was like WTH? We packed up and came home and there were 30 inch tree trunks split three ways by our house with 3/4 of an inch of ice. 

Woke up up at 6 the next morning and 1/2 the state had no power. 

The only positive was that ground temps were warm and the air temp was around 30 so roads were passable.

A blend of the Euro and GFS puts all that ice directly over the I-44 corridor. How far in advance can the NWS put an ice storm watch out?? I pray this trends colder, but this could be very bad for a lot of people and they should be given preparation time.

Most of Tulsa had no power in 2009, and my family had to stay with us in our one bedroom apartment for 2 weeks. I remember driving down major roadways with no lights from restaurants, no street lamps, no traffic lights, and trees and power lines down everywhere. Mass chaos! 

11 minutes ago, ouamber said:

A blend of the Euro and GFS puts all that ice directly over the I-44 corridor. How far in advance can the NWS put an ice storm watch out?? I pray this trends colder, but this could be very bad for a lot of people and they should be given preparation time.

Most of Tulsa had no power in 2009, and my family had to stay with us in our one bedroom apartment for 2 weeks. I remember driving down major roadways with no lights from restaurants, no street lamps, no traffic lights, and trees and power lines down everywhere. Mass chaos! 

I keep getting mixed up. Wasn't the bad Tulsa ice storm in February 2011 not 09?

I think they could probably start headlines on it Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning but as far as warnings go, probably not until Thursday maybe.

3 minutes ago, ouamber said:

It was almost mass chaos. A lady I worked with had no power for 3 weeks and stayed at her moms. My wife was a manager at Chilis in Claremore and was having to buy supplies at WalMart because trucks couldn't get into OK. She called about a generator there and I said to buy it and she sat on it in Walmart until an associate came by to help her buy it and get to her van.

My buddy and I were driving to Wagoner to pick up 2 generators for my sisters and we saw a convoy of about 30 utility trucks from out of state on the turnpike. We rolled down the windows to cheer them and were flashing our lights and honking our horns at them.

We laughed as we never thought we would be so happy to see utility trucks!

I SO hope that doesn't happen to anyone but it certainly looks like it might :(

Archived