Dano62
September 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Powerball said:

:weenie:

Nice.

For the past 4 days TWN had today at cloudy with showers and the same for tomorrow (24ºC)...now they changed today to 28ºC - mostly sunny and tomorrow just isolated showers. I was expecting a cloudy, dreary day with showers but instead its sunny with a thin layer of clouds. The average high for this date is about 18ºC (could be as low as 16ºC according to one climo set). Apparently Toronto and Montreal both had the hottest summer on record for astronomical summer - average temperature wise and both had their 2nd hottest for max daily temperature averaged. Some feared another cool summer but instead got the warmest since record keeping started in the big T 176 years ago lmao.

That moon (just after the Harvest Moon) was amazing two nights ago, I've never seen the moon that big before...and orange. Just happened to be the right conditions for viewing.

I took a nearly 30 minute long video of that rather nasty storm that rolled through Cedar Rapids very early this evening.  Got a handful of very close CG's and very very heavy rain.  One thing interesting in the video is that there is a biker riding his bike down the street while a very close bolt hits a tree (I think) about a couple blocks away.  The bolt was in the field of view, but thanks to my lousy tablet camera, it is very hard to point out.  Here are two attached images so that you can see for yourself.

Oblivious to Danger 1.jpg

Oblivious to Danger 2.jpg

I'll upload the video tomorrow morning, if I remember.  I'm focused on closely monitoring the river levels.

Seems lately temps have been bound and determined to overperform, despite off and on clouds from the storms up in Iowa, we still managed 91 today, for the 3rd day in a row. 

CMI is on pace to make this September the warmest on record, median temp for the month is 72.1 degrees, record is 72.2 held in both 1933 and 1925. With a few more days of much above average temps almost seems like a lock to take that record. 

6 hours ago, Chambana said:

Seems lately temps have been bound and determined to overperform, despite off and on clouds from the storms up in Iowa, we still managed 91 today, for the 3rd day in a row. 

CMI is on pace to make this September the warmest on record, median temp for the month is 72.1 degrees, record is 72.2 held in both 1933 and 1925. With a few more days of much above average temps almost seems like a lock to take that record. 

Temp spread from north to south pretty impressive.  High temp here yesterday was 59.

7 hours ago, Chambana said:

It has been Ridge city all month.

I picked up another 1.80" of rain overnight.  Parts of the local area received 3-4".  A Cocorahs observer a few miles to my north received 4.36".  This is at least four, maybe five times someone in the Cedar Rapids metro received 3-5" from an event this summer.  It has certainly been fun to follow.

The Cedar River is still expected to crest around 24 ft on Monday.  A few pockets from central to northeast Iowa received 3-5+ inches overnight, but the mid/upper Cedar basin managed to avoid it.

Have started to notice some trees turning a bit yellow in recent days.  Overall though I'd have to think the color change will be running behind schedule if we keep getting weather like this.

It's already well behind schedule.

Virtually no sign of color here heading into the last week of September. Nothing yet even from the usual early changing ones, which typically start showing in late August/early September.

Archived