• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2016 General Discussion

The awesome summer season of 2016 strikes again.  Two more rounds of heavy rain moved through the Cedar Rapids area last night.  I received another two inches of rain, which boosted my 24 hour total to 2.91".  The north side of the city got bullseyed with 3.5-4.6".  This is the third time this summer I've received at least 2.9" from an event.  Some part of the Cedar Rapids metro area has been hit with 3-4+ inches at least four times.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The awesome summer season of 2016 strikes again.  Two more rounds of heavy rain moved through the Cedar Rapids area last night.  I received another two inches of rain, which boosted my 24 hour total to 2.91".  The north side of the city got bullseyed with 3.5-4.6".  This is the third time this summer I've received at least 2.9" from an event.  Some part of the Cedar Rapids metro area has been hit with 3-4+ inches at least four times.

Just a crazy summer.  Mowed on Tuesday, this afternoon it's in need again.  

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

5.03" since Thursday. We are waterlogged. 

wow

Today has been a reality check. A raw 56 degrees with lake enhanced rain and wind.  September's rainfall total is now 3"....add that to the 5.10" in August and it's pretty wet up here.  Lake still averaging an above normal 61 degrees. 

4 hours ago, Trent said:

What's most impressive about the heat this September is the lack of relief at night. The last time the temperature here was below 70, was back on Monday, a full 5 days.

According to DTX, that's the main reason we had a record warm summer in Detroit -- high humidity. The high temps weren't even top 10, it was the night time lows that sealed the deal. There is so much moisture in the atmosphere. I would assume that el nino pumped a ton of moisture into the atmosphere.

34 minutes ago, Jonger said:

According to DTX, that's the main reason we had a record warm summer in Detroit -- high humidity. The high temps weren't even top 10, it was the night time lows that sealed the deal. There is so much moisture in the atmosphere. I would assume that el nino pumped a ton of moisture into the atmosphere.

It was the opposite here. Low temps were 3.4 degrees above average, while high temps were 4.5 degrees above average. That said it did feel quite humid this summer. But I think the drought like conditions for much of the summer helped "cool" things more at night compared to the high temps which are usually boosted in drought.

7 hours ago, Trent said:

It was the opposite here. Low temps were 3.4 degrees above average, while high temps were 4.5 degrees above average. That said it did feel quite humid this summer. But I think the drought like conditions for much of the summer helped "cool" things more at night compared to the high temps which are usually boosted in drought.

The drought did actually boost the high temperature this season to an extent. The evidence of this was the several impressive late-day rallies DTW had this season.

It's just that the overall airmass was never all that hot to begin with (given the lack of drought conditions in the Plains), so the highs never got completely out of hand. 

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Take note of how as we transition to fall, the grass is lush and green after how it was straw during droughty first half of summer.

Oddly enough, the past 10 years or so have generally been like that, with the lush green grass and rainy weather in August / September (which were normally the driest months out of the year).

It's the Summer equivalent of our increasingly snowy Februaries. 

17 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Beautiful fall day in the north woods, starting to get some nice color change as well.  Yesterday was a brutal reminder of whats to come with cold chilling rain all day/. Today is a totally different story. 

14317349_10206931602548110_2746846703602

Beautiful place!  Same great day had up here. 

Spent the day fishing... had a heck of a fight with one but it "got away".
Even mild today, Fall was in the air.

IMG_0381.JPG

Archived