• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Irene 5 year anniversary

Ginx snewx

Some links and some stories. Irene mostly spared Eastern New England from the RI border East, however major surge and wind damage was felt in CT with 770,000 plus without power. I was without power for 8 days with roof damages of 12k and my work place suffered severe electrical related surges and other damages of 70K. Western NE took the brunt with VT/WMA really getting smoked with flood damage. Even though Irene was downgraded to a TS by the time it reached our latitude, its surge, outer bands and super intense rainfall caused deaths and severe destruction in a good chunk of the area.

http://earthsky.org/earth/the-history-of-hurricane-irene 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-08-28/irene-s-damage-a-state-by-state-look-at-deaths-flooding-power-outages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Irene

28 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Irene was the most emotionally devastating weather letdown of my life.  IIRC, my zones called for gusts to 70mph at one point. 

Is there a zone forecast archive somewhere?

Warning archive

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/vtec/#2011-O-NEW-KBOX-TR-W-1009/USCOMP-N0Q-201108281515

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/vtec/search.php#byugc/NH/NHZ015/19860101/20160827

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Irene wasn't that big for winds in SNE, but I always felt the flooding aspect was completely underrated and never got the respect it deserved until after it happened. That really was the story. I know the surge in parts of CT was pretty bad too. 

Did LL get hit by flooding?  That was probably Sandy.....

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Irene wasn't that big for winds in SNE, but I always felt the flooding aspect was completely underrated and never got the respect it deserved until after it happened. That really was the story. I know the surge in parts of CT was pretty bad too. 

Pretty intense storm for CT and definitely higher impact than Bob or Gloria here.

Storm surge destroyed >100 homes on the shoreline. Almost all of that is because of a high tide arrival. The inland flooding was impressive too in western areas where a lot of rivers went into major flood. 

The wind gusts 50-70 mph were made worse here by totally saturated soils. A lot of uprooted trees and >50% of the state without power. 

2 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Pretty intense storm for CT and definitely higher impact than Bob or Gloria here.

Storm surge destroyed >100 homes on the shoreline. Almost all of that is because of a high tide arrival. The inland flooding was impressive too in western areas where a lot of rivers went into major flood. 

The wind gusts 50-70 mph were made worse here by totally saturated soils. A lot of uprooted trees and >50% of the state without power. 

Yeah the wet soils didn't help for sure. But the wind velocity themselves weren't too bad...just the impact it had with wet soils. 

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the failure of big winds ultimately causes most people to remember it as a bust, and that's how the flooding goes mainly ignored outside of those regions that experienced it.

10 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Irene was the most emotionally devastating weather letdown of my life.  IIRC, my zones called for gusts to 70mph at one point. 

Is there a zone forecast archive somewhere?

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/

.SUNDAY NIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. RAIN...MAINLY IN
THE EVENING. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. LOWS IN THE
MID 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH...

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I think the failure of big winds ultimately causes most people to remember it as a bust, and that's how the flooding goes mainly ignored outside of those regions that experienced it.

Yup. Locally the winds during Sandy were much more impressive than Irene. Outside of coastal CT though the lack of rain and the lack of leaves mitigated Sandy's wind impact some. 

11 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/

.SUNDAY NIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. RAIN...MAINLY IN
THE EVENING. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. LOWS IN THE
MID 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH...

Ok, I am not able to figure out how to work that site at all. I input things and nothing happens.

Dug through my old posts to find this.  This is what I remember reading on WU before fainting:

Sunday Night
Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain...mainly in the evening. Rain may be heavy at times in the evening. Lows in the mid 50s. South winds 50 to 60 mph with gusts up to 70 mph...becoming west and...diminishing to 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

10 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Ok, I am not able to figure out how to work that site at all. I input things and nothing happens.

Dug through my old posts to find this.  This is what I remember reading on WU before fainting:

Sunday Night
Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain...mainly in the evening. Rain may be heavy at times in the evening. Lows in the mid 50s. South winds 50 to 60 mph with gusts up to 70 mph...becoming west and...diminishing to 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

I have better luck hand typing the date info in. Using the calendar stopped working well about a year ago, not sure if they updated some code or something.

I checked your ZFPs for about 72 hours though, I didn't see anything higher than 60 mph for LCI, but we did have 70 mph for adjacent Rockingham there at the corner of the counties. Could have been in the P&C too, which wouldn't average all of Belknap.

IMBY Irene was mostly meh.....I lost power for three days IIRC....there was a tree in my neighbors yard that came down with a pretty good thud but other than that Of was thoroughly disappointed.....a couple months later inland CT got even....October snow bomb was epic in the Farmington Valley and central part of the state.....lost power for 9 days in West Hartford and had to remove significant tree debris blocking our driveway and in backyard....I took a walk around the block at midnight or so - not smart I found out - it was raining wood.....the popping and snapping was just tremendous.....love that storm

Got 4.25" on 8/28, my greatest calendar-day rain event in 18+ years here, but the storm total ranks only 7th.  Neither Irene nor Sandy had much wind - maybe gusts to 30 from each - this far north/inland.  However, Irene gave the Sugarloaf area twice as much rain as at my place, the resort was cut off for a while by two bridge failures, one on each side of the entry road, and the Carrabassett gauge near it's confluence with the Kennebec hit its 2nd highest flow on record with 31,600 cfs, dwarfed by the 50,700 in 1987.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Got 4.25" on 8/28, my greatest calendar-day rain event in 18+ years here, but the storm total ranks only 7th.  Neither Irene nor Sandy had much wind - maybe gusts to 30 from each - this far north/inland.  However, Irene gave the Sugarloaf area twice as much rain as at my place, the resort was cut off for a while by two bridge failures, one on each side of the entry road, and the Carrabassett gauge near it's confluence with the Kennebec hit its 2nd highest flow on record with 31,600 cfs, dwarfed by the 50,700 in 1987.

Irene violated the White Mountains as well - many trails were closed due to erosion and tree fall.  Some re-opened just this year after lots of work and some re-routing.

Some videos from a neighbor on Leete's Island in Guilford, CT. Irene and Sandy were the worst since Gloria in 1985.

Footage is of both Leete's Island bay and Great Harbor on the east side. It was surge on the tide that did so much damage, actually the outgoing surge did the most damage. I made it in from RT146 on a backhoe 2 days after. There was still standing water. Sections of my dock were 1+ miles inland literally on RT146. There was 200lb propane tanks out in the debris strew in the salt marsh, some still hissing. The waves on the bedrock was just a grinder, anything in the water was pulverized.

To the west in Branford:

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Blatent difference between Irene and sandy on the NY CT coast. During Irene you could be out watching without fear of death, sandy not so much. At least where I am sandy was on another level. I had fun watching Irene's winds and surge. Sandy made me legit scared. 

Radius of max winds had definitely expanded in Irene more than Sandy, so nearer the center of Sandy would definitely have been noticeably windier than surrounding locations. Plus Sandy had several tide cycles of wind building the surge.

In the end Irene was probably a fairly typical tropical system landfall for the Northeast (rainfall was definitely another level), but Sandy was a rarity. The upper air pattern that produced the track is probably only in place for one day every several years, if that.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Radius of max winds had definitely expanded in Irene more than Sandy, so nearer the center of Sandy would definitely have been noticeably windier than surrounding locations. Plus Sandy had several tide cycles of wind building the surge.

In the end Irene was probably a fairly typical tropical system landfall for the Northeast (rainfall was definitely another level), but Sandy was a rarity. The upper air pattern that produced the track is probably only in place for one day every several years, if that.

Sandy was obviously a rarity. The gold standerd cane for us is 38. I'm right on the border of where 38 or sandy was worse. I think in my area at least (border Nassau Suffolk county Long Island) 38 had much stronger winds but less surge as we would have been in the western (still intact unlike sandy) eye wall. 

Archived