SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shear has dropped to 20kt this morning and we actually have semi-organized convection. Shear should continue to drop from the marginal level it is at now to something more favorable (10kt) tomorrow. It looks like a new LLC is trying to develop north of the old, dying one. Might be some life in this one yet. At least there won't be a ton of downslope from Hispaniola and shear to choke off convection today.

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF is a nuke in the Gulf. Deepens nearly 30mb in a 24 hour period from early Monday to early Tuesday with further deepening thereafter. 

Hasn't that model been a nuke in the gulf for awhile now, curious to see what environmental conditions it has in the Bahamas and S. Florida to allow it to deepen so quickly.

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Hasn't that model been a nuke in the gulf for awhile now, curious to see what environmental conditions it has in the Bahamas and S. Florida to allow it to deepen so quickly.

The last four runs have been strong but it had backed off. 

26 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF is a nuke in the Gulf. Deepens nearly 30mb in a 24 hour period from early Monday to early Tuesday with further deepening thereafter. 

So was the ECMWF in the Atlantic. And the ECMWF yesterday was "moving towards" the GFS. Take a look at the consensus model intensity guidance chart at 12z - most don't have it getting past TS strength. The GFS is totally missing this at 4 days out?

Look, not trying to be a party pooper here, and I'm not a Met ... but we've all been told that the models are not going to have a handle on this until it forms, if it does.   

It may be firing convection today, but dry air and shear are still a big problem.  Models suggest the Florida Keys area is the earliest this thing could really begin to organize.

In addition to backing off the intensity, one other significant thing the euro is doing is trending toward stronger energy in the area where Fiona croaked, which gets pulled west in tandem with 99L and acts to stretch 99L and pull it north.

Latest ASCAT and visible loop shows the wave axis nicely, btw. Convection is definitely still displaced east, but the analyzed shear has dropped to 15-20kt (source: CIMSS). Should head into favorable shear conditions late tonight and tomorrow. We're no longer getting downslope flow off Hispaniola entrained directly into the system, so that's probably part of the reason for the upswing in convective activity.

28 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Low level circulation opened even more...but that can help a new LLC build under or near the convection...shear appears to be lesser in there.

Yes.  The moisture is all east of the wave axis.  West is bone dry.  We may see a blob over the east again tonight that spits out another surface eddy tomorrow morning.

• Wow pinned this topic
17 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Dude, lets be real.  It looks like ****.

While it is better than it has been it is still a disorganized mess.

It looked better when I made that post. Agreed that it looks crappy now. Any model showing significant development holds off until reaching the Gulf.

I just posted in the general Tropical Atlantic thread and respond with any comments over there but since no one is probably reading that thread right now but something seems like it is developing south of Bermuda.  Take a look at the visible loop before we loose daylight.  Could it move west below the ridge?  

7 hours ago, David Reimer said:

I want 99L to bite the dust just to shove it in the face of the hypecasters on social media. The amount of hype with this system, even this morning from an accredited meteorologist, makes me want to pull my hair out. 

CMC develops that and brings it right to the NC coast as a weak system.......NAMS also bring it to the NC coast as a weak low....

13 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

GANIMmj5i5J30.jpg

:D

This thing may have managed to hold on just long enough... Convection appears to be either really close or on top of the LLVL "COC" (can we even call it a circulation), have had pretty decent DMC for a lot of today on the E/SE quad. Still not likely to develop into anything for another day or two though.

33 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

This thing may have managed to hold on just long enough... Convection appears to be either really close or on top of the LLVL "COC" (can we even call it a circulation), have had pretty decent DMC for a lot of today on the E/SE quad. Still not likely to develop into anything for another day or two though.

Yup, convection is now on top of the LLC. Nothing stopping this right now. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived