Newest Member
    joxey
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I can't remember the last time that the NHC was this conservative when considering an upgrade to TS strength. It seems like they use a much different criteria depending on the TC proximity to land.

Their reasoning isn't that wrong. When looking at IR you can see most of the intense convection is moving southwest. We also don't know if the LLC has redeveloped inside the convective shield or if its on the northern edge. No harm in waiting for recon to arrive in the next two to three hours. We're not dealing with a system undergoing RI and it remains fairly disorganized for a tropical cyclone. 

26 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I can't remember the last time that the NHC was this conservative when considering an upgrade to TS strength. It seems like they use a much different criteria depending on the TC proximity to land.

seems like they just want to keep things status-quo till recon gets there. 

Which could bite them with results of a storm that's borderline hurricane strength. 

Just now, Bacon Strips said:

Which could bite them with results of a storm that's borderline hurricane strength. 

As others have said, I understand why they are keeping it where it is for now, especially with recon hopefully arriving before the 18z runs.

My only point is that if this was out in the middle of the central Atlantic where all we had was satellite estimates this certainly would have already been named. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

This system is nowhere near hurricane strength. I wouldn't be surprised if they find a few flight level wind reports to support 40-45 MPH surface, but nothing even close to hurricane strength. 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As others have said, I understand why they are keeping it where it is for now, especially with recon hopefully arriving before the 18z runs.

My only point is that if this was out in the middle of the central Atlantic where all we had was satellite estimates this certainly would have already been named. 

Probably not, we still have ASCAT, and the latest ASCAT definitely didn't support a TS. There's an ASCAT pass in 40 minutes, if it doesn't miss it, we may have some data before recon.

40 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I remember people pulling their hair out over Bill last year.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1100 AM EDT WED 31 AUGUST 2016
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
         VALID 01/1100Z TO 02/1100Z SEPTEMBER 2016
         TCPOD NUMBER.....16-097

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINE (GULF OF MEXICO)
       FLIGHT ONE - TEAL 71           FLIGHT TWO - TEAL 72
       A. 01/0000Z                    A. 01/1430Z,1730Z,2030Z
       B. AFXXX 1109A CYCLONE         B. AFXXX 1309A CYCLONE
       C. 31/2245Z                    C. 01/1330Z
       D. 26.ON 87.4W                 D. 27.7N 86.0W
       E. 31/2330Z TO 01/0130Z        E. 01/1400Z TO 01/2030Z
       F. SFC TO 10,000 FT            F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

FLIGHT THREE - TEAL 71         FLIGHT FOUR -TEAL 72
       A. 01/2330Z,02/0230Z,0530Z     A. 02/0830Z,1130Z,1430Z
       B. AFXXX 1409A CYCLONE         B. AFXXX 1509A CYCLONE
       C. 01/2230Z                    C. 02/0730Z
       D. 29.0N 85.0W                 D. 30.2N 83.2W
       E. 01/2300Z TO 02/0530Z        E. 02/0800Z TO 02/1430Z
       F. SFC TO 10,000 FT            F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: CONTINUE 3-HRLY FIXES WHILE
       SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT.

3. REMARKS: FLIGHT ONE ABOVE IS A RESOURCES PERMITTING
       FIGHT WHICH WAS ADDED.

FINALLY starting to see some banding structures beginning to take shape, even wrapping around the northern part of the circulation. I think that intense and persistent convective blow up near the center this morning may have finally kickstarted this thing. Probably also a product of reducing shear.

We'll have to see how convection maintains as we head into the diurnal maximum. The NOAA P-3 should be on station in the next 90 minutes. The current TD icon is where NHC has the current LLC. One uncertainty going around on Twitter is whether or not the LLC relocated south into the convection overnight. We've gone around 18 hours without an aircraft in the system so it'll be interesting to see how the organization has changed since yesterday. 

CrM4n14UMAAuqva.jpg

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived