Newest Member
    joxey
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OSUmetstud said:

It had similar satellite derived intensities yesterday evening when recon was in there. Why is it suddenly valid now?

I didn't say it was "suddenly valid now"

We now have ship observations and DVORAK estimates equating to at the very least a 35kt TS. That should be enough to upgrade at 11AM even without recon data, barring any major changes between now and then structurally. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I didn't say it was "suddenly valid now"

We now have ship observations and DVORAK estimates equating to at the very least a 35kt TS. That should be enough to upgrade at 11AM even without recon data, barring any major changes between now and then structurally. 

I dont trust ships obs.

Just got up and taking first looks since last evening.  What is going on with the recon missions?  Just went on Tropical Tidbits and see no recon over past 6 hours.  When is the next mission?   This is probably a very critical time to get an idea as to what is going on.  

Couple of thoughs.  Impressive big blob of deep convection.  Don't see good outflow except SE quad.  Models coming west.  Great news for New England.  Drought conditions could be eased.  If the system hugs the east coast there will not be a destructive wind threat but usually heaviest rain on west side which could help us.  

Recon is a hot mess right now.  This is the first time...and probably the last time they should do this...  Focus one line  of aircraft per storm (i.e. NOAA only planes for 09L, AF only for 08L). If there is a technical problem with the entire group, at least you have the other one going out.  Especially at a critical strengthening time. 

1 minute ago, PSUBlizzicane2007 said:

Recon is a hot mess right now.  This is the first time...and probably the last time they should do this...  Focus one line  of aircraft per storm (i.e. NOAA only planes for 09L, AF only for 08L). If there is a technical problem with the entire group, at least you have the other one going out.  Especially at a critical strengthening time. 

It doesn't help that NOAA only has one plane right now with the other undergoing heavy maintenance. I feel for the Air Force though, they've got 3 aircraft out in HI for the Pacific canes and I don't know if they're still doing missions on TD8. They're stretched for sure! 

2 minutes ago, PSUBlizzicane2007 said:

OT but how is the funding for the HH/Recon programs? I assume they are underfunded. Good case for sending more $$$ their way. 

If anyone is interested - I have links below for animated zoomed in GOES East 1-km visible, IR, and WV imagery from http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html currently over TD09.

Can change settings (right click and 'view page source' of link above to see code for settings options) in the URL such as LAT/LONG, zoom (=4 low, =2 medium, =1 high), enhancement (IR/WV), number of frames, etc.

Visible

IR

WV

They are keeping it as a depression for the 11AM advisory. 

TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINE DISCUSSION NUMBER  12
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL092016
1000 AM CDT WED AUG 31 2016

The system is producing vigorous deep convection, but there is
little organization to the overall cloud pattern.  Using the Dvorak
rules, a bursting but disorganized convective pattern would indicate
little change in strength.  The intensity is held at 30 kt pending
new observations from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft in a few
hours. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived