Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

26 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

The whole "Forgotten Coast" is super susceptible to surge issues even from a marginal TS. Leading the way has to be Cape San Blas in Gulf county. It's such a little spit of land that separates St Joe Bay from the GOM. An area known as the Stump Hole over washes quite regularly. Any sort of hit or near miss on the Cape will lead to the area being cut off from the mainland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cape San Blas. What a nice place that is for camping. Especially from November to March.

Anyway - feeling a bit less apprehensive about Gainesville/Cedar Key now.

My money is still on Perry or thereabouts.

We'll see.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Actually, it's losing latitude. Recon is about to confirm that, but they are currently south of the last fix. South, as you can see in the shear map I posted, is where the shear is lower.

I had not seen the latest recon.  I was just going by the NHC advisory in which they say it's moving nw at 5 mph.  You are correct the latest recon isn't showing any north component.  The exact center of the loose core might wobble around a bit tonight depending on the convective bursts.

8 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I had not seen the latest recon.  I was just going by the NHC advisory in which they say it's moving nw at 5 mph.  You are correct the latest recon isn't showing any north component.  The exact center of the loose core might wobble around a bit tonight depending on the convective bursts.

think this is what wxmx might be going off of. 

cane.JPG

25 minutes ago, Morris said:

Winds actually weakened to the SE at the second pass now. This is clearly not close to being a TS yet.

Yes, but those winds were well removed from the center. In the current pass the winds near the center have picked up, which is a structural change that signs for strengthening in the near/mid term.

Center fix should be done in the next few minutes, but it appears it will be further south.

3 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Yes, but those winds were well removed from the center. In the current pass the winds near the center have picked up, which is a structural change that signs for strengthening in the near/mid term.

Center fix should be done in the next few minutes, but it appears it will be further south.

Man, hate to see the panic at the NHC. Looks like the MLC and LLC are trying to align. 

5 minutes ago, wxmx said:

I am glad to be corrected - but wouldn't further south i) lead to a more north to west landfall than is progged now and ii) given the area of light shear, increase he chance of strengthening?

3 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

I am glad to be corrected - but wouldn't further south i) lead to a more north to west landfall than is progged now and ii) given the area of light shear, increase he chance of strengthening?

Not necessarily, as the steering mechanism key player is a shortwave trough. The cyclone would travel east of the trough axis, which is moving east as well. So, it may travel for a longer time, while the trough moves east, leading to a potential sharper turn. But that's just one factor right now.

1 minute ago, wxmx said:

Not necessarily, as the steering mechanism key player is a shortwave trough. The cyclone would travel east of the trough axis, which is moving east as well. So, it may travel for a longer time, while the trough moves east, leading to a potential sharper turn. But that's just one factor right now.

Agree. But that SW seems to be holding back ("seems" being the operative in the equation).

3 minutes ago, wxmx said:

According to CIMSS, the TD is now under shear <=10 kts...that's one of the reasons of the current convective flareup, which is not getting sheared off.

Lots of dynamics for a little unorganized TD tonight. This is indeed an education.

Thanks to WOW for getting this forum going, btw  ;)

3 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

So Looks like the LLC is moving SW and the MLC is moving NW and is under convection now. Could maybe see alignment tonight. 

Also is possible that the MLC is occluding/dying. The convective blow up right now is pretty impressive. Seems to be wrapping around too?

I'm not a Met but Looking at the last satellite picture of the day sure looks impressive.  Really does look like the mid level and low level circulation are about to link up.  Notice the hottest towers are on the south side of the llc. Also the NW quad which has been very dry is now starting to fill in with outflow becoming established.  I have been watching this thing for days with many false starts but this one looks for real. 

If the MLC and LLC haven't already become aligned (due to NW moving MLC, and WSW moving LLC), they are pretty damn close. Per recon, I figure the LLC is somewhere near 24N 87W (correct me if i'm wrong), and the MLC is at ~23N 87W.

I doubt this amounts to anything other than what is already expected though. Still *another* step in the right direction.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived