Newest Member
    joxey
Name that storm

ORH_wxman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, radarman said:

definitely not with that weak *ss 1008 low way offshore... 

Yeah and I wouldn't be sucking on a tailpipe in that storm. It was mildly disappointing, but I did manage 12" in that storm, so it was fine.

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

^ ORH, that looks like late Feb 1989.  If correct, it was a Manitoba Mauler that was a hit down here in the Carolinas up thru Atlantic City...not sure what happened in SNE.

Nailed it!!!

Yeah this was forecast to be 1-2 feet of snow for the I-95 corridor from DC to BOS at one point about 24-36 hours before the storm. Then it got "delayed" for the start time, we eventually got about 4" of snow in ORH, which while disappointing, it was at least better than the 0" they got from NYC to PHL to DC while they watched ACY get 18"+. Cape Cod got hit hard too in that one. It was one of my earliest heartbreaks as a young snow weenie. Especially since the winter up to that point had been so bad...it was like we were getting rewarded for waiting all winter for a big one, and then when it looked like it was finally happening, the rug got pulled out from under us.

Next one:

storm1.png

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this was forecast to be 1-2 feet of snow for the I-95 corridor from DC to BOS at one point about 24-36 hours before the storm. Then it got "delayed" for the start time, we eventually got about 4" of snow in ORH, which while disappointing, it was at least better than the 0" they got from NYC to PHL to DC while they watched ACY get 18"+. Cape Cod got hit hard too in that one. It was one of my earliest heartbreaks as a young snow weenie. Especially since the winter up to that point had been so bad...it was like we were getting rewarded for waiting all winter for a big one, and then when it looked like it was finally happening, the rug got pulled out from under us.

Interesting info.  That storm dropped light accumulating snow way down in Savannah and Charleston, obviously rare.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nailed it!!!

Next one:

storm1.png

every great storm that has hit SNE since 2011 but i'd guess Feb 13

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Correct.

Impressive...not a common storm people think of.

That storm was pretty much our winter. I believe I was under a blizz warning in Rockingham County. That was a frustrating winter...one of those patterns where we piled up the rain events with cold shots in between. At least we timed one of them just right. 1/11-12 was a cold SWFE too, but it was just a minor event.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That storm was pretty much our winter. I believe I was under a blizz warning in Rockingham County. That was a frustrating winter...one of those patterns where we piled up the rain events with cold shots in between. At least we timed one of them just right. 1/11-12 was a cold SWFE too, but it was just a minor event.

That storm actually had a very impressive aerial coverage of 12"+...with a lot of 16-20" amounts in NH and parts of ME. I think we had about 13-14" in ORH. Really good storm for the interior...unfortunately the rest of the winter was awful. We did get an epic cold shot after that storm, and the general pattern was pretty cold for the next couple weeks, so that snow at least stuck around for a long time.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man that is a beautiful H7 look though would've guessed H5 was too far south for the crushing that ensued up here.

That storm had a strong easterly flow up to like 30,000ft on the BTV radar VAD.

Had a huge circulation...sometimes it's not always where the center of circulation is, but rather how far north the good inflow is. The inflow is probably pretty weak on that map just north of the H7 center...like areas around NYC or the south coast were not getting much despite being north of the circulation. The best gradient for inflow was further north...clearly. So places like ORH up through NNE got the big precip/snow.

Archived