• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Bob 25 years ago

Ginx snewx

.Couple of salient points. 91 water temps were cool due to some unwelling from a strong cold front the week before.  In fact that CF actually set the stage for the home brew. Like Gloria Bob arrived at low tide from Fishers island to SRI. Unexpected significant shear developed just north of the hotel buoy just prior to landfall. It's really rare to get an intact cane ala 1815 1938 1954 so much going against it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember it mainly because my brother and some friends went camping that weekend and although the impacts here in Vermont were pretty minor, it was enough to shake them up in the tiny camper they were in.  A guy here at work was a patrol cop in Brewster, MA at that time.  He said it was quite a storm and remembers the incredible winds taking down a whole row of trees and utility poles in front of the police station.

50 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

.Couple of salient points. 91 water temps were cool due to some unwelling from a strong cold front the week before.  In fact that CF actually set the stage for the home brew. Like Gloria Bob arrived at low tide from Fishers island to SRI. Unexpected significant shear developed just north of the hotel buoy just prior to landfall. It's really rare to get an intact cane ala 1815 1938 1954 so much going against it.

Still not too shabby. That gas station is gone in Bristol now, but for those that know the intersection with Thames and Main it's right at the fork.

bob3.jpg

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a lot of street flooding here which was cool to see...at one point they looked like actual rivers with torrents of water, but otherwise it really wasn't bad. There were some decent gusts to maybe 60, but all in all nothing overly memorable for sensible wx or damage. The Dec '08 ice storm produced exponentially more damage. I do remember being glued to the TV coverage though. The Cape got the big winds.

Central Maine Power replaced a bit over 200 poles following Bob, about the same for Gloria, and about 3,300 from the 1998 ice storm.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Central Maine Power replaced a bit over 200 poles following Bob, about the same for Gloria, and about 3,300 from the 1998 ice storm.

during my black-out week post the Halloween snow storm in 2012 (...i think that was 2012?) a utility truck parked not too far down the road from my place, so i sparked up a convo with the driver.  he was musing how the lines are 'strong as hell' ...like they can take 1,500 lbs of taut weight...so if that lends any - may explain why the poles my snap before the wires come down some times.  i found that interesting -

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

thimble? 

String of beautiful little islands off Guilford. Many are little more than glacial rocks with houses perched on them. If you ever have the chance, well worth taking a tour by boat. Beau coup bucks. In fact, there's a lady seeking to unload ten of them for $70 mil if you're in the market. 

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

String of beautiful little islands off Guilford. Many are little more than glacial rocks with houses perched on them. If you ever have the chance, well worth taking a tour by boat. Beau coup bucks. In fact, there's a lady seeking to unload ten of them for $70 mil if you're in the market. 

wow... no schit. 

yeah, that's a bald thimble - just a matter of time.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

We also have the issue of so many residential areas having mature trees vs the middle 20th century. That could be a mess with widespread timber destruction in a repeat of one of those storms.

The trees will be a major issue. If I recall rightly, there are far more trees in Ct now compared to '38. Far less farm land. Add in the sensitive electronic infrastructure and you have huge problems. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Can't help but wonder just how intact those storms really were. Wasn't 1938 a warm-seclusion cyclone? I can't imagine it looked that terrific. Carol is the only one that sounds like it could have looked decent.

I mean, Bob is the strongest NE hurricane in recent history, and this was how he looked. :P

220px-Hurricane_Bob_19_aug_1991_1818Z.jpg

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The difference between being in the NE quad and western eyewall was astonishing Total lopsided too

That's one thing I don't remember about Bob, because it was so bad during the storm that we weren't able to leave the house to see the worst of the surge. Other nor'easters, Floyd, Sandy, etc we could drive around and see the water/waves. Even Irene to some extent, though during the peak winds were a little dangerous to be out in.

6 minutes ago, Tater Tot said:

Can't help but wonder just how intact those storms really were. Wasn't 1938 a warm-seclusion cyclone? I can't imagine it looked that terrific. Carol is the only one that sounds like it could have looked decent.

I mean, Bob is the strongest NE hurricane in recent history, and this was how he looked. :P

Carol was probably the only one that had a pretty legit intact eyewall. The others definitely had remnant eyewalls that were still producing pretty good winds, but Carol was definitely the most tropical and intact. Gloria had a decent northern half remnant eyewall...but it was basically open on the whole southern half. Bob was pretty good actually just south of LI, but then it started to fall apart quickly.

wow, ... i'm not sure how this owns up to climo to be totally honest, ... but the water temps at buoys 44017 and '25 and '65 are ridic! 

78, 82 and 84!   those buoys are but 30 mi or so S of LI... 

that's what i'm saying - if a 'cane came a long, turned the corner and hi tailed it Express style, that's a very very bad circumstance there -

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Carol was probably the only one that had a pretty legit intact eyewall. The others definitely had remnant eyewalls that were still producing pretty good winds, but Carol was definitely the most tropical and intact. Gloria had a decent northern half remnant eyewall...but it was basically open on the whole southern half. Bob was pretty good actually just south of LI, but then it started to fall apart quickly.

I know the hurricane hunters declared the eye wall more or less gone by the time it reached BID, but I know the backside winds very much acted like one. That could be due to extratropical transition at that point and isallobaric acceleration, etc. As long ago as it was, I definitely remember being more impressed by the backside winds for ferocity, frontside for duration.

Checking the archived obs, PVD did gust highest on the backside 300 degree flow. Both OQU and EWB were knocked out by strong easterlies before the backside winds kicked in so it's hard to tell there. 

I'm pretty surprised the best PVD could do was 58 mph. Based on track I would say Barrington would be more similar to OQU than PVD, and definitely weaker than EWB.

58 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Checking the archived obs, PVD did gust highest on the backside 300 degree flow. Both OQU and EWB were knocked out by strong easterlies before the backside winds kicked in so it's hard to tell there. 

I'm pretty surprised the best PVD could do was 58 mph. Based on track I would say Barrington would be more similar to OQU than PVD, and definitely weaker than EWB.

My strongest winds by far were a half hour after the western eyewall passed 

2 hours ago, Tater Tot said:

220px-Hurricane_Bob_19_aug_1991_1818Z.jpg

I doubt 38 was anything but totally tropical at the LFs several eyewitness reported an intact eye and pictures indicated as much 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I see a 55 knots in the post event report - pshpvd01.gif

13 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I didn't realize how bad the forecasts were either. Hurricane Watch came out at 3 p.m. on Sunday 8/18 with a warning by 6 p.m. 8/18. The advisories before that don't really seem to mention New England.

Amazing how far we've come in 25 years. 

Though I just went back and looked at the marine advisories and their track forecast on Saturday was pretty good. Brought the thing over SE NE. 

52 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Though I just went back and looked at the marine advisories and their track forecast on Saturday was pretty good. Brought the thing over SE NE. 

I remember pretty different with the local crews. We had a long lead for prep. I believe some false alarms in the years leading up really caused a lot of doubt. I was ready

My late father used to tell stories of '38. N. Quincy High School football practice cut short because of high winds and trees being blown down. Not a well forecast storm. Sunny skies to hurricane in three hours

Bob and Cape Cod, remember it like it was yesterday. Got to love the RFQ (adding forward speed) to the winds. Back in the days of Bob was out on a day trip driving down Rt. 6 came upon a dazed beagle wondering in the median (no tags) and took him to nearest shelter. Years later while going on a fishing trip out of Mattapoisett I noticed a bait shop on the dock with a high water mark, a good eight feet on the building which was about 15-20 feet above sea-level at that time.

Good Ole' Bob. 

Archived